    with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
    know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
    they cost a lot more.

    Richard Erde, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Richard Erde

    Robertwgross Guest

    Richard wrote:
    >I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
    >batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
    >with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
    >know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
    >they cost a lot more.

    Duh? The chemistry is different.

    CRV3 is a primary lithium battery.

    AA NiMH is a rechargeable battery.

    Big difference.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Well they are different. You may want to consider a few facts.

    You can double the useful capacity, by owning four batteries. Not all
    NIMH batteries are created equal. Not all chargers are equal. They do get
    old and loose capacity.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Richard Erde

    JK Guest

    What nimh batteries are you using? Some last much longer than others.
    Buy a few sets of high quality nimh batteries.

    JK, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Richard Erde

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Richard Erde wrote:

    > I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
    > batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
    > with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
    > know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
    > they cost a lot more.

    The CRV3 battery is a lithium ion battery. The chemistry is better in
    several ways, not the least of which is power density. It also has
    vastly longer shelf life. However, it costs more initially and is not
    rechargeable. The NIMH batteries are a LOT cheaper, and can be
    recharged hundreds of times. If your picture taking is sporadic, and
    you want the camera to be ready to go when you are, and you don't want
    to mess with recharging, then the CRV3 batteries are probably just what
    you need. If you take a lot of pictures, however, the NIMH is enough
    cheaper that it makes sense. Be sure to buy NIMH batteries with at
    least 1800 mAhr rating, and a good smart charger. NIMH batteries take a
    few charge cycles to reach their full potential.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Richard Erde

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >Richard Erde wrote:
    >
    >> I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
    >> batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
    >> with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
    >> know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
    >> they cost a lot more.
    >>

    >The CRV3 battery is a lithium ion battery.

    The CR-V3 uses lithium-manganese dioxide chemistry, which is **NOT**
    lithium ion.

    Mike S., Nov 1, 2003
  7. Richard Erde

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike S. wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    >>Richard Erde wrote:
    >>

    >>>I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
    >>>batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
    >>>with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
    >>>know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
    >>>they cost a lot more.
    >>>

    >>The CRV3 battery is a lithium ion battery.

    > The CR-V3 uses lithium-manganese dioxide chemistry, which is **NOT**
    > lithium ion.

    Sorry, not quite awake when I posted that. I am so used to typing 'ion'
    following 'lithium' that reflex took over. You are correct of course,
    lithium ion batteries are the rechageable type....

    Ron Hunter, Nov 1, 2003
  8. Richard Erde

    John Guest

    Not to mention the capacities. I have an Archos 20MB MP3 player I
    bought when I got my Element this summer. The standard batteries that
    came with it were OK, but for a whopping $20 or so I was able to buy 4
    new larger capacity ones. They last about half again as long as the
    ones that came with it. Now I just use one set, charge the other,
    swap out when the one I'm using is low.

    John, Nov 1, 2003