    Thanks in advance
    --
    drjayceeATgmailDOTcom

    Jaycee, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Jaycee

    QX Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:51:38 +0530, Jaycee <>
    wrote:

    >Recently got one Canon540 and am using them with Alkaline AAs.Have got some
    >old NiCds and would like to know if they'd be any good? How do they compare
    >vis-a-vis Alkalines?
    >Would like opinions from experts.
    >Thanks in advance

    I wouldn't want to deal with the hassles of NiCads and inherent charge
    memory, deep discharge problems etc.
    I suggest NiMH from http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/products.asp
    especially the 2700's.

    QX, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Jaycee

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Jaycee wrote:

    > Recently got one Canon540 and am using them with Alkaline AAs.Have got some
    > old NiCds and would like to know if they'd be any good? How do they compare
    > vis-a-vis Alkalines?
    > Would like opinions from experts.
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > drjayceeATgmailDOTcom

    As has been advised, grab some NIMHs. If you don't have a charger
    capable you can usually buy high speed chargers with batteries for
    much better prices nowadays, but batteries themselves are reasonable.
    NIMH kick the backside off alkaline batteries in stuff like digital
    cameras. I don't know which country you're in so suggest a search on
    google, just put in something like

    4 X AA nimh

    or if you buy stuff like bank cd-r check the places you buy from to
    see if they sell batteries too.
    and obviously if the cam takes four you're probably better off with
    eight.

    --
    Paul (This sky, too, is folding under you)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Sep 16, 2006
  4. "Jaycee" <> wrote in message
    > Recently got one Canon540 and am using them with Alkaline AAs.Have got
    > some
    > old NiCds and would like to know if they'd be any good? How do they
    > compare
    > vis-a-vis Alkalines?
    > Would like opinions from experts.
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > drjayceeATgmailDOTcom

    i'll say apart from what other two said, you can use NiCd ones, it's just
    their capacity is low comparing to NiMH so i guess they won't last much
    longer than alkaline's. If you have them lying around, i see no reason why
    not to use them as long they are alive, though.

    Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\), Sep 16, 2006
  5. Jaycee

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Jaycee wrote:
    > Recently got one Canon540 and am using them with Alkaline AAs.Have got some
    > old NiCds and would like to know if they'd be any good? How do they compare
    > vis-a-vis Alkalines?
    > Would like opinions from experts.
    > Thanks in advance

    NiMH are preferred. There is one downside, if you take very few pictures
    (or fail to drain them in about a month or less), you will see problems
    with self discharge. Not serious but annoying. If that matches your
    shooting habits, take a look at the new eneloop NiMH's now becoming
    available. Their capacity isn't as high as latest NiMH, but still a lot
    more than my very first Quest with would give 350 shots in A40 if used
    over a short period. Do a google search for details. Later cameras such
    as yours are said to do quite well on alkalines. I've just put 4 in my
    A95 to see how well they do.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Jaycee

    ASAAR Guest

    On 16 Sep 2006 15:48:38 +0200, Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:

    > i'll say apart from what other two said, you can use NiCd ones, it's just
    > their capacity is low comparing to NiMH so i guess they won't last much
    > longer than alkaline's. If you have them lying around, i see no reason why
    > not to use them as long they are alive, though.

    It's probably worse than that. In the A540, alkalines should last
    about 1/2 as long as NiMH, and as the NiMH cells are rated about
    2,500mAh, you could say that the alkalines are equivalent to about
    1,200mAh. (they're actually very close in capacity to the NiMH
    cells, but they can't deliver more than 1/2 of their energy to the
    camera.) If the NiCads are brand new, they'll have a capacity
    ranging from 600 to 900mah, depending on where they're bought, so
    they shouldn't last as long per charge as alkalines. If they're not
    brand new, their capacity could be much less than 600mAh. If the
    flash and the LCD is not used, NiCads might be good for several
    dozen shots. If the flash is used though, the number of shots will
    be greatly reduced. That might be enough in some cases, especially
    if the A540 never wanders too far from a charger or another set of
    fresh batteries.

    ASAAR, Sep 16, 2006
  7. "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On 16 Sep 2006 15:48:38 +0200, Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:
    >
    >> i'll say apart from what other two said, you can use NiCd ones, it's just
    >> their capacity is low comparing to NiMH so i guess they won't last much
    >> longer than alkaline's. If you have them lying around, i see no reason
    >> why
    >> not to use them as long they are alive, though.

    > It's probably worse than that. In the A540, alkalines should last
    > about 1/2 as long as NiMH, and as the NiMH cells are rated about
    > 2,500mAh, you could say that the alkalines are equivalent to about
    > 1,200mAh. (they're actually very close in capacity to the NiMH
    > cells, but they can't deliver more than 1/2 of their energy to the
    > camera.) If the NiCads are brand new, they'll have a capacity
    > ranging from 600 to 900mah, depending on where they're bought, so
    > they shouldn't last as long per charge as alkalines. If they're not
    > brand new, their capacity could be much less than 600mAh. If the
    > flash and the LCD is not used, NiCads might be good for several
    > dozen shots. If the flash is used though, the number of shots will
    > be greatly reduced. That might be enough in some cases, especially
    > if the A540 never wanders too far from a charger or another set of
    > fresh batteries.

    agreed. Capacity is just too low for serious work. I'd say they are usable
    for home testing purpose, but soon a man would bo crazy and throw them away
    just because of being empty too soon.
    Capacity of alkaline batteries is actually quite large, they are just not
    capable of delivering high currents, so, say in my ex S2 canon they lasted,
    say, max.50-100 shots, while a full set of 2600mAh NiMH were good for appr.
    500 shots. Note however that those "dead" alkaline's were quite capable of
    running, say a small radio or clock for months, though...

    Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\), Sep 16, 2006
  8. Jaycee

    Davy Guest

    Trouble is with Nicads they are only 1.4V per cell and not 1.5v per
    cell, also Nicads have a pretty dismal self discharge rate. You are
    better using NiMH, metal Hydride batteries better still Lithium Ion
    batteries are the one's to use, the self discharge rate is better
    than Nicads. Li-ION, Lithium Ion batteries these are far superior in
    holding their charge when not in use over long periods.

    A while ago a friend brought me a Olympus camera, I don't repair
    cameras and wasn't in at the time otherwise he would have got it back
    pretty smartly. It powered up for just a few seconds and then died...
    the batteries where Alkaline non-rechargeables measured perfectly
    under load on a battery tester, why I don't know but I tried some
    Duracells, lo and behold they worked the camera perfectly.. they
    measured just the same.

    Brand new batteries he bought and loads of em.... was just no good at
    handling an appreciable load, as you drew more current the terminal
    voltage sagged which the Olympus didn't much care for..

    Battery tester he tells fibs...!
    Funny how people alway's blame the camera.. always test batteries
    under load, for digital cameras batteries tester's tell 'porkies' as
    a camera takes a much higher current under load compared to these.

    Always turn the LCD display off when not in use, these are the battery
    flatteners.

    Davy

    Davy, Sep 17, 2006
  9. "Davy" <> wrote in message
    > Trouble is with Nicads they are only 1.4V per cell and not 1.5v per
    > cell, also Nicads have a pretty dismal self discharge rate. You are
    > better using NiMH, metal Hydride batteries better still Lithium Ion
    > batteries are the one's to use, the self discharge rate is better
    > than Nicads. Li-ION, Lithium Ion batteries these are far superior in
    > holding their charge when not in use over long periods.

    hold on a bit...where on earth did you find 1.4 V? Run in a store, buy some
    of them and read what say on them - it says 1.2 V !!!
    Secondly, it's NOT the problem, since all cameras are MADE for them, they
    just tolerate bigger voltage if using alkaline batteries.
    So, don't mislead things here...

    > A while ago a friend brought me a Olympus camera, I don't repair
    > cameras and wasn't in at the time otherwise he would have got it back
    > pretty smartly. It powered up for just a few seconds and then died...
    > the batteries where Alkaline non-rechargeables measured perfectly
    > under load on a battery tester, why I don't know but I tried some
    > Duracells, lo and behold they worked the camera perfectly.. they
    > measured just the same.
    >
    > Brand new batteries he bought and loads of em.... was just no good at
    > handling an appreciable load, as you drew more current the terminal
    > voltage sagged which the Olympus didn't much care for..
    >
    > Battery tester he tells fibs...!
    > Funny how people alway's blame the camera.. always test batteries
    > under load, for digital cameras batteries tester's tell 'porkies' as
    > a camera takes a much higher current under load compared to these.
    >
    > Always turn the LCD display off when not in use, these are the battery
    > flatteners.
    >
    > Davy

    funny, how all says that LCD is battery eater, while i've had ALWAYS LCD on
    when i had camera on and i still managed to make over 500 shots with one
    charge. They also say IS is battery eater, but i still had IS ALWAYS on and
    still made over 500 shots with one charge.... But i admit, earlier models
    DID have LCD's which were battery eaters...

    Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\), Sep 17, 2006
  10. >>But i admit, earlier models DID have LCD's which were battery eaters...
    A bit off topic but I think it's clear that battery usage is one area in
    which digital cameras have improved enormously in the last few years. My
    old Olympus C2100 needed four AA cells and used to munch its way through a
    set of 1700MaH NiMH batteries in about a day and a half.

    My Canon A700 only needs two AAs and lasted out nearly to the end of my
    recent two weeks holiday, shooting at anything that moved (and a lot that
    didn't) every day, before needing more to eat. Yes, I am still using
    1700MaH cells. When I bought them you couldn't get much more and they are
    still going strong so why fix something that ain't broke.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Sep 18, 2006
  11. Jaycee

    Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    > NiMH are preferred. There is one downside, if you take very few pictures
    > (or fail to drain them in about a month or less), you will see problems
    > with self discharge. Not serious but annoying. If that matches your
    > shooting habits, take a look at the new eneloop NiMH's now becoming
    > available.

    Or use lithium AA's. They're expensive, but if you're only shooting
    sporadically, it won't break the bank, and there's no self-discharge,
    so they'll last for a very, very long time.

    Bill

    , Sep 18, 2006
  12. Jaycee

    Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > Or use lithium AA's. They're expensive, but if you're only shooting
    > sporadically, it won't break the bank, and there's no self-discharge,
    > so they'll last for a very, very long time.

    I'd say go to Ritz Camera and get some "Eneloop" cells. They're a new
    type of cell made by Sanyo, that fixes the self-discharge of normal
    NiMH cells. Doesn't totally eliminate it, but slows it down a lot;
    supposedly even after 1 year there's still lots of charge left.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 18, 2006
  13. wrote:
    []
    > Or use lithium AA's. They're expensive, but if you're only shooting
    > sporadically, it won't break the bank, and there's no self-discharge,
    > so they'll last for a very, very long time.

    But check first if your camera allows Lithium AAs - some don't.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2006
  14. Jaycee

    Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > I'd say go to Ritz Camera and get some "Eneloop" cells. They're a new
    > type of cell made by Sanyo, that fixes the self-discharge of normal
    > NiMH cells. Doesn't totally eliminate it, but slows it down a lot;
    > supposedly even after 1 year there's still lots of charge left.

    Do they require a special charger, or will my usual NiMH chargers work?

    Bill

    , Sep 18, 2006
  15. Jaycee

    Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > > I'd say go to Ritz Camera and get some "Eneloop" cells. They're a new
    > > type of cell made by Sanyo, that fixes the self-discharge of normal
    > > NiMH cells. Doesn't totally eliminate it, but slows it down a lot;
    > > supposedly even after 1 year there's still lots of charge left.

    > Do they require a special charger, or will my usual NiMH chargers work?

    Regular chargers work fine.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 18, 2006