    zxcvar Guest

    Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
    rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

    zxcvar, Nov 21, 2004

  2. zxcvar

    Ron Hunter Guest

    zxcvar wrote:
    > Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
    > rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

    Yes, however, they cost more to buy.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 21, 2004

  3. zxcvar

    Jerry G. Guest

    The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
    particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there are
    no memory problems with them. As for their long term lifespan, after about 2
    to 3 years, and depending on the amount of charge cycles, they will start to
    degrade in their ability to supply power. Most modern batteries can handle
    about 600 to 1000 charge cycles over a 2 to 3 year period. After this, they
    may start to degrade in their ability to maintain proper charge, and supply
    their rated amount of amp-hours.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Nov 21, 2004
  4. zxcvar

    Harvey Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
    > particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
    > are no memory problems with them.

    Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

    Harvey, Nov 21, 2004
  5. zxcvar

    Aerticeus Guest

    For city shots there probably is not a great difference.

    However, for excursions to places where power supplies may be less
    predictable AA's have the edge IMHO

    Aerticeus

    Aerticeus, Nov 21, 2004
  6. zxcvar

    Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:30:50 GMT, "Harvey" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >> The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
    >> particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
    >> are no memory problems with them.

    >Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

    NiMh's lose their charge over time.

    , Nov 21, 2004
  7. "zxcvar" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
    > rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

    Go to http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
    You will be able to read all the answers there.

    Gerrit - Oz

    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 22, 2004
  8. zxcvar

    Markus L Guest

    "zxcvar" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
    > rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

    One of my favorite battery links:
    http://www.buchmann.ca/

    Markus L, Nov 22, 2004
  9. zxcvar

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    wrote:

    >>> The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
    >>> particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
    >>> are no memory problems with them.

    >>Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

    > NiMh's lose their charge over time.

    All correct.

    I believe a lot of the FAQ information is outdated.

    Although LiOn batteries do not lose charge as quickly as NiMH or NiCd,
    and lack the memory effect of NiCd, my experience says they can't take
    as many discharge/recharge cycles as either. I think NiMH batteries
    now outlast both NiCd and LiOn, which is not what the FAQs say.

    LiOn is great for small currency demands over a long period, as you
    might encounter in a cellphone used for emergencies only. NiMH is
    superior for large currency demands in a shorter timefrae, such as
    you might need for camera flash, videocamcorders, and (depending on
    photographic style) still cameras.

    Bill Tuthill, Nov 22, 2004
  10. zxcvar

    Ken Guest

    Why do some manufactures of cameras and camera equipment state that you
    should not use Lithium batteries in their products? I don't, just
    because they say so and I don't want to destroy my equipment, but I
    wonder what the danger is.

    Ken, Nov 23, 2004
  11. zxcvar

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Ken <> wrote:
    > Why do some manufactures of cameras and camera equipment state that you
    > should not use Lithium batteries in their products? I don't, just
    > because they say so and I don't want to destroy my equipment, but I
    > wonder what the danger is.

    Higher voltage, maybe? NiMH and NiCd cells are about 1.25 V,
    Lithium cells around 3V, so two NiMHs don't make a LiOn.

    Bill Tuthill, Nov 24, 2004
  12. zxcvar

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    >Why do some manufactures of cameras and camera equipment state that you
    >should not use Lithium batteries in their products?

    Saftey probably. A NiMH cell is about 1.2 volts. A lithium cell is 3
    volts.There is no AA lithium cell as they are different in sizes.Some battery
    packs might be interchangable, but you will probably get a higher voltage from
    the lithium battery.
    I would stick to the mfg. recommendations.

    Banjopikr1, Nov 24, 2004
  13. zxcvar

    imbsysop Guest

    On 24 Nov 2004 03:56:19 GMT, (Banjopikr1) wrote:

    >>Why do some manufactures of cameras and camera equipment state that you
    >>should not use Lithium batteries in their products?

    >Saftey probably. A NiMH cell is about 1.2 volts. A lithium cell is 3
    >volts.There is no AA lithium cell as they are different in sizes.Some battery
    >packs might be interchangable, but you will probably get a higher voltage from
    >the lithium battery.
    >I would stick to the mfg. recommendations.

    same confusion between Lithium (not rechargeable) and Li-ion
    (rechargeable) cells ?

    HP used to include 4 AA Lithium cells in their package as a power
    backup ..

    FWIW

    imbsysop, Nov 24, 2004
  14. zxcvar

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    >same confusion between Lithium (not rechargeable) and Li-ion
    >(rechargeable) cells ?

    I was referring to the lithium-ion batteries.Not sure what the voltages are of
    plain lithium cells.

    Banjopikr1, Nov 24, 2004
  15. zxcvar

    imbsysop Guest

    On 24 Nov 2004 13:08:21 GMT, (Banjopikr1) wrote:

    >>same confusion between Lithium (not rechargeable) and Li-ion
    >>(rechargeable) cells ?

    >I was referring to the lithium-ion batteries.Not sure what the voltages are of
    >plain lithium cells.

    guessed so .. subject line is kind of confusing .. comparing Lithiums
    to NiMH rechargeables :) doesn't make too much sense ? afaik, There
    are no rechargeable Lithiums only Li-ion ..

    imbsysop, Nov 24, 2004
  16. zxcvar

    Ken Guest

    The reason I asked was because my Sekonic light meter says "no lithium"
    batterys, so does my Canon A70. My GPS, however, can use lithium or
    regular AA batteries or rechargeable.

    Ken, Nov 24, 2004
  17. Banjopikr1 wrote:
    >>same confusion between Lithium (not rechargeable) and Li-ion
    >>(rechargeable) cells ?

    > I was referring to the lithium-ion batteries.Not sure what the voltages are of
    > plain lithium cells.

    The voltage is more than twice that of Ni-MH batteries. Like plugging
    a 120 volt lamp into 240V line; not good.

    George E. Cawthon, Nov 24, 2004
  18. zxcvar

    imbsysop Guest

    "George E. Cawthon" <> wrote in message
    > Banjopikr1 wrote:
    >>>same confusion between Lithium (not rechargeable) and Li-ion
    >>>(rechargeable) cells ?

    >> I was referring to the lithium-ion batteries.Not sure what the voltages
    >> are of
    >> plain lithium cells.

    > The voltage is more than twice that of Ni-MH batteries. Like plugging a
    > 120 volt lamp into 240V line; not good.

    same mistake, you talk about Li-ion = 3.6 V per cell not Lithium .. Lithium
    come in AA size Li-ion don't ..

    imbsysop, Nov 24, 2004
  19. Bill Tuthill <> writes:

    >Higher voltage, maybe? NiMH and NiCd cells are about 1.25 V,
    >Lithium cells around 3V, so two NiMHs don't make a LiOn.

    He's probably talking about the lithium AA cells. But the reason is
    probably the same: lithium AA puts out about 1.6 V, and doesn't droop
    under load like akaline cells. The high voltage at high current could
    overheat circuitry that was designed to work at around 1.2 V per cell.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 25, 2004
  20. imbsysop wrote:
    > "George E. Cawthon" <> wrote in message

    >>>I was referring to the lithium-ion batteries.Not sure what the voltages
    >>>are of
    >>>plain lithium cells.

    >>The voltage is more than twice that of Ni-MH batteries. Like plugging a
    >>120 volt lamp into 240V line; not good.

    > same mistake, you talk about Li-ion = 3.6 V per cell not Lithium .. Lithium
    > come in AA size Li-ion don't ..

    oops I was talking about Li-ion not the AA size lithium not rechargeable

    George E. Cawthon, Nov 25, 2004