    Do these exist? Anybody know of a USA source?

    Thanks,
    Ray

    Ray Paseur, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Ray Paseur

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <3ffae890$0$6771$>,
    Ray Paseur <> wrote:
    >Do these exist? Anybody know of a USA source?

    About 4 or 5 years ago I saw a website from some UK dealer who had NiCD
    packs in a CR123 form factor, and a special charger to handle them. I
    doubt this item sold much, and it's doubtful the product still exists. It
    probably would be possible to find rechargeable button cells of
    approximately the diameter of a CR123, and 1/3 the height, and just buy 3
    to wrap in tape of heat-shrink to make your own.

    Mike S., Jan 6, 2004

  3. Ray Paseur

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Ray Paseur" <> writes:
    > Do these exist? Anybody know of a USA source?

    There are some 1/3A rechargeables so you could get 2.4 volts from 2 of
    them, but they'd have such low capacity that it's not worthwhile.

    The price of CR123's has crashed in the past year or two, as devices
    like flashlights have been using them. You can get them from
    www.batterystation.com for $1.25 each. There's no reason to pay $5 or
    more for them in camera stores for them any more.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Ray Paseur

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Thanks, all. Good information.

    Ray Paseur, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Ray Paseur

    G. Louie Guest

    Yes, they exist. A company called Pila makes rechargeable LiIon 123 cells.
    http://www.pilatorch.com/products_access.htm

    USA vendor:
    http://www.jsburlys.com/pilapage.html

    However, they are meant for flashlights that take 2 cells stacked (68mm
    long total). I think I recall a single rechargeable cell product, but
    don't recall it performing very well.

    As mentioned, several mailorder outlets sell very good CR123 cells for
    $1-1.25 each plus shipping. Surefire.com sells them for their flashlights
    at $15 for 12 that are made in USA from a major manufacturer and test
    well. Import batteries can go for $1 each - batterystation.com sells for
    $1 each if you join the flashlight forum "Candlepowerforums.com" (free)
    and learn the secret webpage for CPF battery specials at Batterystation.
    http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm
    The import cells generally perform pretty well, too. Duracells are often
    mentioned as performing consistently the best, though. A couple years ago,
    I bought GE/Sanyos from cheapbatteries.com for about $1.75 each for 48,
    and they were fine. Now I buy Surefires.

    Since they have a 10 year shelf life, might as well buy a box if you use
    them.

    G. Louie, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Ray Paseur

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (G. Louie) writes:
    > Yes, they exist. A company called Pila makes rechargeable LiIon 123 cells.
    > http://www.pilatorch.com/products_access.htm

    Those are not 123's. They're not the same size and won't fit in a
    camera that uses a 123. They're also not the same voltage, so they
    won't work properly in a camera that uses a 123. Remember that we're
    talking about cameras and not flashlights.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Ray Paseur

    japer Guest

    How about rechargeable CR2 ? The reason I ask is: I have Contax G2,
    TLA200 flash, Ricoh Gr1S , all use this battery. It's currently
    already very expensive, and with the onslaught of digital I worry that
    one day it will not be found anymore/or become prohibitively expensive
    - even if film is still there.

    japer, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Good luck with your DSLR, Ray.

    George Preddy, Jan 10, 2004
  9. Ray Paseur

    G. Louie Guest

    You are quite right, so here is the link I finally found. 2 NiMH 1/5A
    cells to sub for a CR123. The size is right, but the voltage is low, just
    like cameras that can use AA NiMH instead of alkaline or lithium. Your
    application may not tolerate the low voltage, and the capacity of these
    may not be satisfactory compared to 123s.

    Info:
    http://www.tinwhistler.net/flashlights/123-rechargeables.htm

    G. Louie, Jan 13, 2004