    should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
    I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    Duracell at over £3 a throw.
    Annette Kurten, May 6, 2005

  2. Annette Kurten

    Julie P. Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    news:d5esf4$5f0$-infra.bt.com...
    >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
    > it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
    > should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
    > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    > Duracell at over £3 a throw.

    ni-mh (nickel metal hydride) rechargeables with the highest mA will last the
    longest.
    Julie P., May 6, 2005

  3. On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
    <> wrote:

    >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
    >it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
    >should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
    > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    >Duracell at over £3 a throw.

    All chargers are not the same, as you would of notice by the
    price...cheap to expensive....same goes for the batteries...look for
    2000 mAh or higher.
    me@yourplace,net, May 6, 2005
  4. <me@yourplace>; <net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual

    and
    > >it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
    > >should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the

    highest.
    > > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    > >Duracell at over £3 a throw.
    > >

    > All chargers are not the same, as you would of notice by the
    > price...cheap to expensive....same goes for the batteries...look for
    > 2000 mAh or higher.

    Cheers but what is highest, and what is mah?
    Annette Kurten, May 6, 2005
  5. Annette Kurten

    Liz Guest

    Liz, May 6, 2005
  6. Annette Kurten

    FML Guest

    Annette Kurten spewed forth...

    > I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the
    > manual and it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what
    > else
    > should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the
    > highest.
    > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    > Duracell at over £3 a throw.

    I have had very good luck with the MAHA POWEREX 2500 mAH AA NiMH
    rechargeable batteries. I travel quite a bit and I use them in all my
    portable devices (MP3 player, DVD player, noise cancelling headphones).
    I get very good life from each charge and more importantly they charge
    to the same level time after time.

    http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_2500_rechargeable_batteries.php

    I can't emphasize how important it is to get a quality charger.
    Preferably a "cool" charger. Heat is one of a rechargeable battery's
    worst enemies.

    Here is the charger I use:

    http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

    I have used a lot of different batteries/chargers. This is the best I've
    used.

    HTH
    FML, May 6, 2005
  7. "FML" <> wrote in message
    > Annette Kurten spewed forth...
    >
    > > I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the
    > > manual and it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what
    > > else
    > > should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the
    > > highest.
    > > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    > > Duracell at over £3 a throw.
    > >

    > I have had very good luck with the MAHA POWEREX 2500 mAH AA NiMH
    > rechargeable batteries. I travel quite a bit and I use them in all my
    > portable devices (MP3 player, DVD player, noise cancelling headphones).
    > I get very good life from each charge and more importantly they charge
    > to the same level time after time.
    >
    > http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_2500_rechargeable_batteries.php
    >
    > I can't emphasize how important it is to get a quality charger.
    > Preferably a "cool" charger. Heat is one of a rechargeable battery's
    > worst enemies.
    >
    > Here is the charger I use:
    >
    > http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
    >
    > I have used a lot of different batteries/chargers. This is the best I've
    > used.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanxs all :)
    Annette Kurten, May 6, 2005
  8. Annette Kurten

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
    >it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
    >should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
    > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    >Duracell at over £3 a throw.

    There are two common rechargeable AA types, NiCd nickel-cadmium and
    NiMH nickel metal hydride. The latter have much higher capacity than
    the former (2300+ mAH vs 800+ mAH), and also are capable of delivering
    much higher currents (e.g. as required by most digital cameras).

    2300 mAH means the battery is capable of supplying 2300 milliamps (2.3
    amps) for one hour - or one amp for 2.3 hours.

    Rechargeables have 1.2 volts nominal potential versus 1.5 volts for
    alkaline (non-rechargeable) batteries. You should be able to recharge
    the NiMH batteries at least a few hundred times for negligible costs.
    Bateries cost about $5 each and $20 for a 4 cell charger. Budget
    alkalines cost at least 60 cents each (bulk pack 10+). Sorry I don't
    live in England.

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, May 7, 2005
  9. "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual

    and
    > >it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
    > >should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the

    highest.
    > > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    > >Duracell at over £3 a throw.

    > There are two common rechargeable AA types, NiCd nickel-cadmium and
    > NiMH nickel metal hydride. The latter have much higher capacity than
    > the former (2300+ mAH vs 800+ mAH), and also are capable of delivering
    > much higher currents (e.g. as required by most digital cameras).
    >
    > 2300 mAH means the battery is capable of supplying 2300 milliamps (2.3
    > amps) for one hour - or one amp for 2.3 hours.
    >
    > Rechargeables have 1.2 volts nominal potential versus 1.5 volts for
    > alkaline (non-rechargeable) batteries. You should be able to recharge
    > the NiMH batteries at least a few hundred times for negligible costs.
    > Bateries cost about $5 each and $20 for a 4 cell charger. Budget
    > alkalines cost at least 60 cents each (bulk pack 10+). Sorry I don't
    > live in England.
    >
    > jd

    Thanks again, who would have thought there was so much to know about a
    humble little AA battery.
    Annette Kurten, May 7, 2005
  10. Annette Kurten

    dwacon Guest

    >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
    > it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
    > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
    > should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
    > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
    > Duracell at over £3 a throw.

    My local supermarket had a sale on Duracell® rechargers -- normally a unit
    with 4 AA's for $20 US, now on sale for $15 US. Seems a sweet deal... I
    also got the AAA version so I'm covered with all my portables as well as the
    numerous remotes in the house.

    --
    The Runaway Bride...
    She'll stage a kidnapping to avoid a wedding!
    dwacon, May 9, 2005
  11. Annette Kurten

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote
    >>
    >> <me@yourplace>; <net> wrote in message
    >> > All chargers are not the same, as you would of notice by the
    >> > price...cheap to expensive....same goes for the batteries...look for
    >> > 2000 mAh or higher.
    >> >

    >> Cheers but what is highest, and what is mah?

    > mAh = milli Amp hour
    > http://store.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html
    >
    > 2500 mAh
    > http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_2500_rechargeable_batteries.php

    Wow! I'd only seen 2300 mAH before. I have a digital camera that eats
    batteries for lunch. I have 3 sets of 2300, and 3 chargers - one for my car
    for vacations.
    Toolman Tim, May 9, 2005