    Learn more about Jesus
    www.lds.org
    ..

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009

  2. Stormin Mormon

    Marvin Guest

    Stormin Mormon wrote:
    > Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
    > my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
    > don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
    > camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
    > pictures.
    >
    > Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

    How old are the batteries. They don't last forever. After
    many recharges, they act as you describe.

    I'm now using Imedion NiMH batteries that I bought from
    thomasdistributing.com. They loose their charge much more
    slowly than the older type of NiMH batteries. They can go
    for months on the shelf before they have to be recharged.

    Marvin, Mar 12, 2009

  3. I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
    of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
    very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
    charge.

    How would I test them for capacity and such?

    I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
    for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
    thoughtful reply.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009
  4. I caught a typo:

    "Holds charge better than any other rechargeable over time,
    even when sitting idol in a device. "

    Buddha batteries? But.... it passed the spell checker!

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    On 3/12/09 11:16 AM, in article
    gpbchm$bl2$, "Stormin
    Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a
    > bunch
    > of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
    > very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
    > charge.
    >
    > How would I test them for capacity and such?
    >
    > I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage.
    > But,
    > for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
    > thoughtful reply.

    Try Delkin from Thomas Distributing. Only 2300, but will
    retain charge much
    longer, and have a nice warranty.

    Thomas is tops in batteries. Nice guy, too.

    <http://tinyurl.com/6ot6dz>

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Stormin Mormon

    GregS Guest

    In article <Cxaul.2789$%>, Marvin <> wrote:
    >Stormin Mormon wrote:
    >> Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
    >> my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
    >> don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
    >> camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
    >> pictures.
    >>
    >> Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?
    >>

    >How old are the batteries. They don't last forever. After
    >many recharges, they act as you describe.
    >
    >I'm now using Imedion NiMH batteries that I bought from
    >thomasdistributing.com. They loose their charge much more
    >slowly than the older type of NiMH batteries. They can go
    >for months on the shelf before they have to be recharged.

    Old batteries don't need a lot of cycle use to be bad.
    I have not found NiMh to be long lived.

    greg

    GregS, Mar 12, 2009
  6. I did have a look. That's a fair price for batteries. Now,
    some thinking. Nice to have stuff that works. Got to look at
    my finances, and see if I can justify the money.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009
  7. Panasonic Lumix, LS-70. Takes two AA cells.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    <> wrote in message
    On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:51:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
    >my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
    >Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

    What camera?

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009
  8. What's the usual life for NiMH? I can't really remember how
    old these are, but likely two years.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009
  9. Stormin Mormon

    Martin Brown Guest

    Stormin Mormon wrote:
    > I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
    > of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
    > very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
    > charge.
    >
    > How would I test them for capacity and such?

    Usually what happens is there is one weak cell develops in a set of 4.
    That weak cell gradually gets hammered by the others forcing current
    through it after it has become exhausted. The weak get weaker until they
    compromise a set containing 3 good cells after just a few minutes.

    Some of the better chargers have an indicator bulb that will light off
    a single cell if it can source enough current. Separate the sheep from
    the goats and you will probably have some usable ones.

    It makes sense to keep them together in sets for as long as posisble.
    Put spots of paint on each set and use them in rigid rotation. The self
    discharge rate is pretty annoying after a year or so.

    > I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
    > for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
    > thoughtful reply.

    It is annoying trying to find the bad cell(s) in multiple sets of four
    without a voltmeter or a tester to hand.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Mar 12, 2009
  10. Usually what happens is there is one weak cell develops in a
    set of 4.
    That weak cell gradually gets hammered by the others forcing
    current
    through it after it has become exhausted. The weak get
    weaker until they
    compromise a set containing 3 good cells after just a few
    minutes.

    CY: Yes, and the combined voltage drops off, to the voltage
    of three cells.

    Some of the better chargers have an indicator bulb that will
    light off
    a single cell if it can source enough current. Separate the
    sheep from
    the goats and you will probably have some usable ones.

    CY: What I did a while back, was to charge em all up. Put
    eight batteries in an appliance that takes eight cells (in
    my case, citizens band walkie talkie. In the US, they
    designated 26.955 through 27.405 megahertz for public use).
    Leave the radio on ovenight, to provide a low drain in
    series. Check the batteries in the AM, see which ones are
    dead. I may need to do that again.

    It makes sense to keep them together in sets for as long as
    posisble.
    Put spots of paint on each set and use them in rigid
    rotation. The self
    discharge rate is pretty annoying after a year or so.

    CY: It is very possible my batteries have reached the end of
    their life. Time to buy more. And need to date these
    carefully.

    > I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage.
    > But,
    > for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
    > thoughtful reply.

    It is annoying trying to find the bad cell(s) in multiple
    sets of four
    without a voltmeter or a tester to hand.

    CY: I do have both voltmeter, and tester. I am also
    wondering. I changed chargers, a couple weeks ago. I'd been
    using a Sanyo wall charger, and switched to a Battery
    Manager Ultra. I read years ago, on the web, that the BMU
    doesn't charge, completely. I am going back to the Sanyo for
    a while. And will also someday do the test with the
    batteries in series.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 12, 2009
  11. Stormin Mormon

    Charles Guest

    > On 3/12/09 11:16 AM, in article gpbchm$bl2$, "Stormin
    > Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
    >> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
    >> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
    >> charge.
    >>
    >> How would I test them for capacity and such?
    >>
    >> I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
    >> for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
    >> thoughtful reply.

    The Eneloops are VERY good ... worth looking into.

    Charles, Mar 12, 2009
  12. Stormin Mormon

    Bob Larter Guest

    Stormin Mormon wrote:
    > I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
    > of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
    > very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
    > charge.

    That sounds very likely, from your description.
    To get the longest life in future, you should _not_ use/charge them in
    random order - keep them in sets. If you do that, you should be able to
    get hundreds of charge/discharge cycles out of them.

    It's also worth mentioning that NiMH cells self-discharge over time,
    even when they're not being used. If it's been more than a week since I
    last used a particular set, I'll top it up before using it.

    Bob Larter, Mar 13, 2009
  13. Stormin Mormon

    Bob Larter Guest

    Stormin Mormon wrote:
    > What's the usual life for NiMH? I can't really remember how
    > old these are, but likely two years.

    If you've been using them regularly over that time, they're very likely
    dead.

    Bob Larter, Mar 13, 2009
  14. Bob Larter wrote:
    []
    > It's also worth mentioning that NiMH cells self-discharge over time,
    > even when they're not being used. If it's been more than a week since
    > I last used a particular set, I'll top it up before using it.

    A disadvantage which Sanyo eneloops appear to have overcome - and they
    seem to last longer in my GPS that high-capacity NiMH cells....

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 13, 2009
  15. Stormin Mormon

    Bob Larter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Bob Larter wrote:
    > []
    >> It's also worth mentioning that NiMH cells self-discharge over time,
    >> even when they're not being used. If it's been more than a week since
    >> I last used a particular set, I'll top it up before using it.

    > A disadvantage which Sanyo eneloops appear to have overcome - and they
    > seem to last longer in my GPS that high-capacity NiMH cells....

    <nods> IME, name brand NiMH cells/batteries seem to suffer less from
    that effect than generics. The ones I referred to above are generic AAs,
    but the Canon packs for my 1D2 seem to hold a usable charge for a month
    or more.

    Bob Larter, Mar 13, 2009
  16. They used to be found at walmart near me. But, no longer.
    Wonder if any of the other stores around me have them?

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 13, 2009
  17. Re: Rechargable batteries (strange catalogs, too!)

    That's incredibly possible. Hey, if you want some really
    strange catalogs to read, get the ones from American
    Science and Surplus, out of Illinois. Their web site may be
    www.sciplus.com if memory serves. Fun to read.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    > "Holds charge better than any other rechargeable over
    > time,
    > even when sitting idol in a device. "
    >
    > Buddha batteries? But.... it passed the spell checker!

    I saw that as well, LOL!

    He's got some strange folks working for him. When I first
    ordered from him a
    few years ago, I accidentally ordered the wrong batteries.
    When I called
    back asking for a return for credit, one of the rude
    employees told me, in
    no uncertian terms, that they would not accept a return and
    was just being
    an ass about it. Shortly after hanging up my phone, I got a
    call from him.
    He was pissed at his employee "trying to put him out of
    business" and told
    me to keep the batteries and would credit them to the sale
    of the correct
    batteries that he was going to ship me that afternoon.

    Maybe his Webmaster is weird, too?

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 13, 2009
  18. I'm wondering if it's a bad charger. For a test, I'm trying
    my other one. I'd been using a Battery Manager Ultra, and
    now using a Sanyo wall box gadget, that's designed for nicad
    and nimmie cells.

    Yes, the camera has a setting choice, either for Oxyride, or
    for akaline / NiMH cells. I don't know why alkalines and
    nimmies are the same setting.

    Trying not to pay a buck a battery for single use cells.
    Then I'm back to the old film days when I have to think hard
    about every shot, if I want it or not. With rechargables, I
    can pop all the pictures I want.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    You may have a bad charger, or your camera may have the
    voltage setting
    at which it decides a battery is discharged set for too high
    a voltage.
    Does your camera manufacturer suggest using NIMH
    batteries? If not,
    their nominal 1.25 volt power level may not be adequate.
    You can buy
    some disposable lithium batteries and see if they give you
    better service.

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 13, 2009
  19. I've misplaced the English language owners manual. But, from
    what I can tell on the screen, my choices are
    * Oxyride
    * Alkaline or NiMH

    Yes, I'm aware of the voltages provided by various cells.
    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    <> wrote in message

    Your camera, Lumix DMC LS70 requires you to choose the
    type of battery in use. Page 10 of your users manual.

    If it's set for alkaline and you are using NIMH then you
    will
    experience a low battery indicator.

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 13, 2009
  20. One of these days, I'll have to do a life test on the
    batteries. Charge them all. Put a bunch of them in a CB
    walkie talkie, and leave it turned on over night. See which
    ones are still charged in the AM.

    I hadn't heard about using them in sets. Interesting idea.
    They seem to work fine, if I rotate a freshly charged set of
    batteries into the camera every morning. If I miss a
    morning, then the camera goes dead during the day.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    "Bob Larter" <> wrote in message
    Stormin Mormon wrote:
    > I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a
    > bunch
    > of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
    > very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
    > charge.

    That sounds very likely, from your description.
    To get the longest life in future, you should _not_
    use/charge them in
    random order - keep them in sets. If you do that, you should
    be able to
    get hundreds of charge/discharge cycles out of them.

    It's also worth mentioning that NiMH cells self-discharge
    over time,
    even when they're not being used. If it's been more than a
    week since I
    last used a particular set, I'll top it up before using it.

    \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna
    condita delenda est

    Stormin Mormon, Mar 13, 2009