    (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
    the moment)

    Thank you
    Stephen Badger, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Stephen Badger

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 07:08:38 -0500, Stephen Badger wrote:

    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
    >
    > One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
    > (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
    > the moment)

    Easy answer: Buy new rechargeables. They'll probably be able to
    take many more pictures per charge.

    Reason: More often than not, if batteries don't last nearly as
    long as they once did, they'll need to be replaced. Batteries age,
    and how long they last depends to a great degree on how they were
    used. Most people have no clear understanding as to how batteries
    should be treated. "Common sense" might indicate that if the
    batteries are used very infrequently, they'll last a long time. The
    opposite is often the case, whether they're NiMH or Li-Ion.

    It's usually helpful to mention the camera you're using, how long
    you've had it as well as the type of batteries it uses. While
    reduced battery life is usually due to aging or damaged batteries,
    it could also be due to problems with the camera or the charger.
    ASAAR, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Stephen Badger wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per
    > charge?
    >
    > One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then
    > die. (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall
    > the brand at the moment)
    >
    > Thank you

    There are specifications (amp hours) but they are not the only part of
    the question. Different cameras have different energy needs. Some have a
    higher voltage cut off others need more amps. Chargers are also important
    as they don't all charge the same. If you have a camera that uses several
    cells (like AA) you should have a charger that charges each batter
    independently. Most such chargers will charge one to four batteries at a
    time, but each one will be charged independently so one may finish sooner
    than the others. Also if you have independent cells remember that the
    camera stops when the weakest one fails so you may have one bad battery and
    it would appear they all are bad.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Stephen Badger

    Mick Harris Guest

    "Stephen Badger" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
    >
    > One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
    > (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand
    > at
    > the moment)
    >
    > Thank you

    Yes, the larger the mAh (milli amps per hour) the more power it provides,
    and the more pics it will take.
    e.g. A 2500 mAh battery, will give you more shots than a 1500 mAh battery.

    The newer Ni-MH batteries (Nickel Metal Hydride), are the best kind to use
    in your camera,
    not the older Ni-CD (Nickel Cadmium) batteries.

    ATB
    Mick
    Mick Harris, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Stephen Badger

    Mick Harris Guest

    PS.
    It sounds like your batteries are either old & exhausted, or just low
    powered, (somewhere around the 1000 mAh range) ?
    Mick Harris, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Stephen Badger

    Jfixit Guest

    Mick Harris wrote:
    > PS.
    > It sounds like your batteries are either old & exhausted, or just low
    > powered, (somewhere around the 1000 mAh range) ?

    I have had great luck with the new "Eneloop" by sanyo in my SB800
    they last at least 2 times longer then the older regular 2,300 or
    2,500 mAh NI-MH . The "ENELOOPS" are rated at 2,000 mAh with a min.
    of 1,900 mAh
    Jfixit, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Stephen Badger

    Pat Guest

    In today's paper is a story about a new type of NiMH rechargeable battery.
    Check it out: Sanyo, Rayovac and others are developing this new battery.
    They are supposed to be on the market in January. Sanyo's version of this
    new type, the Eneloop, is already on the market.

    http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/index.shtml
    Pat, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Stephen Badger

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > In today's paper is a story about a new type of NiMH rechargeable battery.
    > Check it out: Sanyo, Rayovac and others are developing this new battery.
    > They are supposed to be on the market in January. Sanyo's version of this
    > new type, the Eneloop, is already on the market.
    >
    > http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/index.shtml

    The only place I've seen the hybrid is in Walmart. The only place I've
    seen eneloop was is Ritz Photo and I bought a set in mid September.
    Wonderful, I got 650 shots in my A95 before I even charged them. They're
    now sitting in camera so I'll see how they do on second run. Looking at
    the package in Walmart, the hybrid makes more modest claim regarding
    self discharge than the eneloop. As I understand it, the Rayovac
    technology is licensed from Sanyo. Retail pricing seems to be same as
    any other NiMH within a couple of bucks.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 23, 2006
  9. Stephen Badger

    Fotos4web Guest

    Fotos4web, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Stephen Badger

    Fotos4web Guest

    Apart from keeping rechargeble batteries fully charged, at this time of
    year (December) you should also keep them warm !
    Rechargeables have a nasty habit of failing completely in sub-zero
    temperatures and especially when you need them most .. like on a
    ski-slope.
    Keep spare sets inside your jacket and always have two sets with you as
    a backup (I had two sets die on top of a local mountain last week)
    Rechargeables also seem to leak when not used - I keep a set of high
    powered AA's in my car too all the time as an additional backup.
    Top Brands like Fuji seem to hold their charge a little better and I'd
    avoid rechargeables from markets/fleamarkets in case they are seconds.
    Now all we need is a solar poered charger ...
    Best Wishes
    Keith
    Fotos4web, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Stephen Badger

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:32:04 -0600, Pat wrote:

    > In today's paper is a story about a new type of NiMH rechargeable battery.
    > Check it out: Sanyo, Rayovac and others are developing this new battery.
    > They are supposed to be on the market in January. Sanyo's version of this
    > new type, the Eneloop, is already on the market.

    Both Sanyo's Eneloops and RayOVac's Hybrids have been selling at
    Circuit City since at least the beginning of November. I believe
    that I've seen Eneloops in another store but don't recall which one.
    ASAAR, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Stephen Badger

    Guest

    Stephen Badger wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?

    Promaster brand NiMH ones seem to work forever per charge. Just my
    experience.

    , Dec 23, 2006
  13. Stephen Badger

    Jfixit Guest

    Stephen Badger wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
    >
    > One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
    > (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
    > the moment)
    >
    > Thank you

    i bought my enaloops with a charger at Circuit City the day after
    thanksgiving they were 20% off that day
    Jfixit, Dec 23, 2006
  14. Stephen Badger

    Roy G Guest

    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
    >
    > One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
    > (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand
    > at
    > the moment)
    >
    > Thank you

    Hi.

    Just Dump them and buy 2 new sets with the largest MAh you can find. They
    are nice and cheap so don't go getting fussed over them.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Dec 23, 2006
  15. Stephen Badger

    banjo Guest

    --

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message
    > "Stephen Badger" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
    >>
    >> One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
    >> (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand
    >> at
    >> the moment)
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>

    > Hi.
    >
    > Just Dump them and buy 2 new sets with the largest MAh you can find.
    > They are nice and cheap so don't go getting fussed over them.
    >
    > Roy G

    don't buy the " uniross " made batts,
    they are absolutely rubbish.
    banjo, Dec 23, 2006
  16. Stephen Badger

    Mick Harris Guest

    > don't buy the " uniross " made batts,
    > they are absolutely rubbish.

    I'll second that!
    I have had 2 sets of uniross in the past (thought the first set was a fluke)
    and they
    have both been very poor at retaining a charge, if you give them a full
    charge and put
    them to one side as spares, they would be totally flat within 2 days!!
    And even when used right after a full charge, they don't last long at all!!
    Mick Harris, Dec 23, 2006
  17. Stephen Badger

    Mick Harris Guest

    "Jfixit" <> wrote in message
    > Mick Harris wrote:
    >> PS.
    >> It sounds like your batteries are either old & exhausted, or just low
    >> powered, (somewhere around the 1000 mAh range) ?

    > I have had great luck with the new "Eneloop" by sanyo in my SB800 they
    > last at least 2 times longer then the older regular 2,300 or 2,500 mAh
    > NI-MH . The "ENELOOPS" are rated at 2,000 mAh with a min. of 1,900 mAh

    Hmm, not heard of those b4, I'll have to give them a try.
    Cheers Jf

    ATB
    Mick
    Mick Harris, Dec 23, 2006
  18. Stephen Badger

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stephen Badger wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
    >
    > One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
    > (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
    > the moment)
    >
    > Thank you

    Is this a long-term experience, or are they new batteries? Older types
    of NIMH batteries needed a few charge/discharge cycles to reach their
    full potential. Or it may be that your camera has a rather high cutoff
    voltage. Most cameras consider the batteries dead at 1.1 volt. Even a
    tiny variation on this value will cause markedly lower picture counts as
    they batteries start at a nominal 1.25 volts when fully charged.
    If this is the case, you may see much better operation from the lithium
    disposables.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2006
  19. Stephen Badger

    Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Is this a long-term experience, or are they new batteries? Older types
    > of NIMH batteries needed a few charge/discharge cycles to reach their
    > full potential. Or it may be that your camera has a rather high cutoff
    > voltage. Most cameras consider the batteries dead at 1.1 volt. Even a
    > tiny variation on this value will cause markedly lower picture counts as
    > they batteries start at a nominal 1.25 volts when fully charged.
    > If this is the case, you may see much better operation from the lithium
    > disposables.

    Not at all in my experience. Lithium disposables that I used were
    very problematic in cold weather - but NiMH rechargeables never had
    that problem.

    , Dec 24, 2006
  20. wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Is this a long-term experience, or are they new batteries? Older types
    >> of NIMH batteries needed a few charge/discharge cycles to reach their
    >> full potential. Or it may be that your camera has a rather high cutoff
    >> voltage. Most cameras consider the batteries dead at 1.1 volt. Even a
    >> tiny variation on this value will cause markedly lower picture counts as
    >> they batteries start at a nominal 1.25 volts when fully charged.
    >> If this is the case, you may see much better operation from the lithium
    >> disposables.

    > Not at all in my experience. Lithium disposables that I used were
    > very problematic in cold weather - but NiMH rechargeables never had
    > that problem.
    >
    > No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com

    Same here, in cold weather, the nimh batteries are great! It's the
    camera that gives me problems, motor slows down, lenses get frosted.
    You amost need a heater for your camera bag.

    I've been chargning an old Nikon nimh battery all day today with no
    luck. It hasn't received much use up to 5 years ago. Then, I just put
    it away with the camera, out of the camera, and let it be. There
    should'nt be problems. nIMH batteries are great that way. They seem to
    last forever, and the prices are coming way down. I just paid 6.95 for
    batteries for my Rebel XT on ebay. Bought two of them so I'm all set.
    Now, all I need is a charger for the car that won't blow the car fuse.
    I have an ipod transmitter that blew the fuse right away. It was a 20
    amp fuse and it blew. Can't understand that one. It takes rechargeable
    batteries, but why buy batteries when you have dc car power for the
    ipod. I mean, it's great on long trips. Better than satellite radio.

    Oh well. Replace the car fuse and see what happens. Sometimes some of
    these gizmos reverse polarity.

    Harry
    Canon 350D Rebel XT

    Best Holidays!