    Ray Paseur Guest

    Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good source
    for purchase?

    Ray Paseur, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Ray Paseur

    J Cook Guest

    I use the "Digital" NI-MH brand that you can get at Wally-World or Big-Lots.
    They usually run about 5.99 for the 2000mAh and 9.99 for the 2500mAh. They
    work great with my Kodak CX7330. I can take almost 100 Pics with these
    batteries. Before they Poop Out.

    J Cook, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Ray Paseur

    Guest

    The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
    get a rapid charger.

    I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the job
    but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
    batteriest next week!

    , Jan 26, 2005
  4. Ray Paseur

    Alan Meyer Guest

    wrote:
    > The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
    > get a rapid charger.
    >
    > I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the

    job
    > but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
    > batteriest next week!

    Darkfalz,

    I know that rapid charging is far more convenient, but do you know if
    the batteries last as long with rapid charging as they do with slow
    charging?

    Have you got any citations on that?

    Thanks.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Ray Paseur

    Harvey Guest

    "Alan Meyer" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
    > > get a rapid charger.
    > >
    > > I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the

    > job
    > > but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
    > > batteriest next week!

    > Darkfalz,
    >
    > I know that rapid charging is far more convenient, but do you know if
    > the batteries last as long with rapid charging as they do with slow
    > charging?
    >
    > Have you got any citations on that?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Alan

    I have just concluded testing with 1/2 hour charger versus 8 hour charger.
    But seem to put about the same mah into the battery, about 10% less than the
    ultimate C/20 lab charger. But reportedly the 1/2 hour charger might give
    400 to 500 charge discharge cycles while the 8 hour charger would double
    that. Even 400 is quite a number of shots and is small compared to the cost
    of printing.

    Harvey, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Ray Paseur

    Guest

    Do you know if I can use my old charger with a couple of newer ~2400
    mAh batteries and they will be charged to the max? Does the charger
    care about the capacity of the batteries?

    , Jan 26, 2005
  7. Ray Paseur

    Harvey Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Do you know if I can use my old charger with a couple of newer ~2400
    > mAh batteries and they will be charged to the max? Does the charger
    > care about the capacity of the batteries?

    Chargers do not know what the capacity is of the batteries they are
    charging. Go ahead and use your old charger. Most older chargers will just
    bring them up to capacity according to current and voltage. The newer
    chargers may use temperature detection too depending on design. You can be
    assured you will get a good charge with new batteries and an older charger.
    Be aware that Ni-MH batteries lose about 1% per day due to self discharge so
    if you are not using them for two or three weeks it is best to top them up
    before using to get maximum shots per photo session.

    Harvey, Jan 26, 2005
  8. Ray Paseur

    Ron Hunter Guest

    J Cook wrote:
    > I use the "Digital" NI-MH brand that you can get at Wally-World or Big-Lots.
    > They usually run about 5.99 for the 2000mAh and 9.99 for the 2500mAh. They
    > work great with my Kodak CX7330. I can take almost 100 Pics with these
    > batteries. Before they Poop Out.

    You may find that after a few use cycles that you will get even more
    pictures per charge. NIMH seems to take a few cycles to reach peak
    performance. I get up to 250 shots out of my Kodak NIMH pack on my
    DX6440. It also helps if you have a really good charger that charges
    each battery by itself.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Ray Paseur

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The most important is to make sure they are at least 2000 mAh and to
    >>get a rapid charger.
    >>
    >>I have some old 1200 mAh and old 8 hour charger that still does the

    > job
    >
    >>but I'll be happy when I pick up the 1 hour charger with 4 2200 mAh
    >>batteriest next week!

    > Darkfalz,
    >
    > I know that rapid charging is far more convenient, but do you know if
    > the batteries last as long with rapid charging as they do with slow
    > charging?
    >
    > Have you got any citations on that?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Alan

    Probably not, but with a pack of 4 selling for under $10 does it really
    matter if they last only 300 cycles, rather than 500?
    If you get 100 shots/charge, that's 30,000 pictures per set, or in the
    case of the OP's camera, 60,000 (it uses 2 batteries).

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 26, 2005
  10. Ray Paseur

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Do you know if I can use my old charger with a couple of newer ~2400
    > mAh batteries and they will be charged to the max? Does the charger
    > care about the capacity of the batteries?

    It depends on how the charger senses a full charge. If it is a very
    slow (over 3.5 hours) charger, it is likely just charging on time. This
    would result in a poor charge percentage. A good 'smart' charger, like
    the MAHA 401 will sense each battery's charge and continue charging it
    until it is completely full. I suspect the rapid (1 hour or less)
    chargers MUST sense each battery's charge or unplesant things would happen.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Ray Paseur

    Guest

    Cool, I've got 8 2500 mAh Energizers on the way in the post.

    , Jan 26, 2005
  12. Ray Paseur

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Cool, I've got 8 2500 mAh Energizers on the way in the post.

    Buy a good smart charger for them for best service, and longest use life.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 26, 2005
  13. "Ray Paseur" <> writes:

    > Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good source
    > for purchase?

    Ummm, there are many different types of rechargable batteries, many that are
    specific to a particular camera or a particular camera maker. If you are
    talking about rechargable AA's, one popular source is:
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

    However, I have gotten AA's from Walmart, CompUSA, Radio Shack, Best Buy,
    Circuit City, etc. and they've all worked fine.

    A FAQ on AA batteries is at:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jan 26, 2005
  14. Ray Paseur

    Guest

    If I was gonna get a new charger I'd have done that instead, cuz they
    all come with batteries. Should be fine on this one I think... I don't
    need a 1 hour rapid one anyway.

    , Jan 26, 2005
  15. Ray Paseur wrote:

    > Which brands of rechargeable batteries do you prefer? What's a good source
    > for purchase?

    Don't get carried away with the highest mAH rating. Look for the best
    deal on batteries between 2000mAH and 2500mAH.

    As far as brands of batteries, see
    "http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM"

    Look at cost per mAH. The newest batteries (2300mAH to 2500mAH) are much
    more expensive than the plethora of 2000mAH batteries, which are
    perpetually on sale, i.e. Fry's was selling 10 packs of Lenmar 2000mAH
    AA cells for $4.99 after rebate.

    Let's compare the top-rated Energizer 2300 ($2.25) to the Lenmar 2000
    ($0.50). 140.9 minutes versus 117.4 minutes. You get 20% more capacity,
    but the Energizer's are about 450% more in price.

    Also, try to stay away from the very high speed chargers, as they reduce
    the number of recharge cycles per battery. 600-800mA is fine (4-5 hour
    charging). But some newer chargers are charging at over 2000mA, which is
    not good.

    See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers for information on chargers.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jan 26, 2005
  16. Ray Paseur

    Guest

    I put in my charged batteries again this morning, and it just kept
    charging them... after a while they got hot, and it kept charging
    them... so I guess it's a time based charger... :(

    I guess I'll have to get a new charger and and cancel those 2500 mAh I
    had on order.

    , Jan 27, 2005
  17. Ray Paseur

    Dirk Gently Guest

    On 26 Jan 2005 17:49:01 -0800, wrote:
    >I guess I'll have to get a new charger and and cancel those 2500 mAh I
    >had on order.

    I recommend that you get your batteries and a matching charger from these guys:
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/
    If you have a question about compatability ask before ordering.

    Dirk Gently, Jan 27, 2005
  18. Ray Paseur

    Guest

    I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
    seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.

    , Jan 27, 2005
  19. Ray Paseur

    Brian Rusten Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
    > seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.

    Well, Maha sells chargers that are compatible with Aussie power, since it
    just
    takes a universal AC input and only needs a localised plug.

    http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178&cur=International#mid

    It's just that nobody here seems to sell them.

    Weird.

    Brian Rusten, Jan 27, 2005
  20. Ray Paseur

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <41f8ae16$0$15825$>,
    "Brian Rusten" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > I'm in Australia, I doubt they would even fit in my power socket. I've
    > > seen plenty available at stores, I don't need to go online.

    > Well, Maha sells chargers that are compatible with Aussie power, since it
    > just
    > takes a universal AC input and only needs a localised plug.
    >
    > http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178&cur=International#m
    > id
    >
    > It's just that nobody here seems to sell them.
    >
    > Weird.

    Ansmann sells smart chargers that come with AUS, EU, UK and US plugs. No
    adapters needed.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 27, 2005