    was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?

    Thanks,

    Barry
    Wessy1, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Wessy1

    Robert Barr Guest

    Wessy1 wrote:
    I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with the
    > flash.

    It's the only way to fly.
    Robert Barr, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Wessy1

    Charlie Self Guest

    wessy1 asks:

    >We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this new
    >camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
    >alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with the
    >flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If so,
    >was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?

    Any other way doesn't make sense.

    Charlie Self
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
    it to. " Dorothy Parker

    Charlie Self, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Wessy1

    Mark B. Guest

    "Wessy1" <> wrote in message
    > We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this

    new
    > camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
    > alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with

    the
    > flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If

    so,
    > was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barry

    When I started buying NiMH batteries for my first digicam, I started using
    them with my flashes and haven't looked back at Alkalines.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 3, 2004
  5. Wessy1

    JIM Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    news:HcKdndZPPYzqqGuiRVn-> When I started buying NiMH batteries for my first
    digicam, I started using
    > them with my flashes and haven't looked back at Alkalines.
    >
    > Mark

    Alkalines? They still make that stuff? Thought they went out with those
    prehistoric birds....

    Jim
    JIM, Jan 3, 2004
  6. If your having a problem with battery life then I would definitely go with
    the NIMH. Get the ones with the most ma or mah. That is milliamps or
    milliamp hours. The higher the number the more power they contain or the
    longer they will last under a load. I believe the best deal I have seen so
    far, without a charger, is 4 Energizers (I think) at the local staples store
    for $14.99. They are 2100mah each I believe although you can find NiMH at
    Sears, Radioshack, Circuit City, etc. My Sony camera came with a charger so
    one less thing for me to buy.

    CaptainKrunch

    CaptainKrunch, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Wessy1

    steve Guest

    Get two sets and recharge one while using the other if you take lots of
    flash shots.

    steve, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Wessy1

    Mike Fields Guest

    Make sure your users manual for the flash does not
    say NOT to use rechargables (some of the cheaper old
    flashes said not to -- they used the internal resistance of
    the alkaline batteries to limit the startup current). All of
    the flashes I have seen recently do not have a problem
    with the rechargables, but CHECK the manual !!
    Rechargables (NiMH, NiCd etc) have a much lower
    internal resistance than alkaline which is generally good
    except if that is the limiting factor for the switching transistors
    in the inverter used to generate the high flash voltage.
    Assuming proper design, the rechargables will usually have
    a faster recycle time due to their lower internal resistance.

    --
    Mike "mikey" Fields
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

    Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
    Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

    Mike Fields, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Wessy1

    Charlie Self Guest

    JIM responds:

    >Alkalines? They still make that stuff? Thought they went out with those
    >prehistoric birds....

    I've got a couple of wall clocks where they work. And a small flashlight.

    Charlie Self, Jan 3, 2004
  10. "Mike Fields" <> wrote in message
    > Make sure your users manual for the flash does not
    > say NOT to use rechargables (some of the cheaper old
    > flashes said not to -- they used the internal resistance of
    > the alkaline batteries to limit the startup current). All of
    > the flashes I have seen recently do not have a problem
    > with the rechargables, but CHECK the manual !!
    > Rechargables (NiMH, NiCd etc) have a much lower
    > internal resistance than alkaline which is generally good
    > except if that is the limiting factor for the switching transistors
    > in the inverter used to generate the high flash voltage.
    > Assuming proper design, the rechargables will usually have
    > a faster recycle time due to their lower internal resistance.
    >
    > --

    Is that why my Vivitar 285 is dead with rechargeable NiMH?

    I left alkalines in there too long and they made a bit of a mess. I cleaned
    it up as best I could, but now the flash is dead and I don't have any
    alkalines to test it with. Any hope?

    Juan
    Juan R. Pollo, Jan 3, 2004
  11. "Juan R. Pollo" <> writes:

    >Is that why my Vivitar 285 is dead with rechargeable NiMH?

    >I left alkalines in there too long and they made a bit of a mess. I cleaned
    >it up as best I could, but now the flash is dead and I don't have any
    >alkalines to test it with. Any hope?

    It sounds like the leak ate away some portion of the flash circuitry.
    If it doesn't work with NiMH, it probably won't work with alkalines
    either unless repaired.

    Repairing it may be simple or difficult depending on what was damaged.
    The only way to find out is open it up. It could be something as simple
    as a battery contact solder joint that got eaten away, requiring nothing
    more than resoldering, or substantial areas of circuit board could have
    been damaged.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Wessy1

    y_p_w Guest

    "CaptainKrunch" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > If your having a problem with battery life then I would definitely go with
    > the NIMH. Get the ones with the most ma or mah. That is milliamps or
    > milliamp hours. The higher the number the more power they contain or the
    > longer they will last under a load. I believe the best deal I have seen so
    > far, without a charger, is 4 Energizers (I think) at the local staples store
    > for $14.99. They are 2100mah each I believe although you can find NiMH at
    > Sears, Radioshack, Circuit City, etc. My Sony camera came with a charger so
    > one less thing for me to buy.

    My local Wal-Mart has the lowest prices on these. Under $10 for a 4-pack
    of the Energizer 2100 mAh, although price varys by store (Wal-Mart is
    funny that way - they use market research to set each store's prices), but
    always under $11. I've also seen the price drop to under $11 at my local
    Target store.

    The batteries are made in Japan, and carry the "HR" mark on the negative
    terminal. Several brands sell them, including Sony, Maxell, GE-Sanyo,
    Olympus, and Kodak.

    NiMH will work better in a flash due to lower internal resistance. A typical
    alkaline AA is 700-1200 milliohms, and even the "advanced" alkalines are
    500-1200 mohms. A typical NiMH is 75-125 mohms. I could bore you
    with explanations of Ohm's Law and device loads. However - a simple
    explanation is that the internal resistance in an alkaline is the limiting
    factor (current) in how fast it can charge up a flash.
    y_p_w, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Wessy1

    Mike Fields Guest

    Nope -- the 285 (I have one) was available with NiCd battery
    packs (and a quick charger no less!!). The 285 was certainly
    able to handle the NiCd (which is sim. to NiMh as far as voltage
    and internal resistance goes). In fact, I have used NiMh in the
    alkaline battery carrier with that flash with no problems. I would
    suspect as another user pointed out a corroded wire/contact
    from the leakage.

    --

    "Juan R. Pollo" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Fields" <> wrote in message
    > > Make sure your users manual for the flash does not
    > > say NOT to use rechargables (some of the cheaper old
    > > flashes said not to -- they used the internal resistance of
    > > the alkaline batteries to limit the startup current). All of
    > > the flashes I have seen recently do not have a problem
    > > with the rechargables, but CHECK the manual !!

    [ snip ] >

    Mike Fields, Jan 3, 2004
  14. Wessy1

    y_p_w Guest

    y_p_w wrote:

    > NiMH will work better in a flash due to lower internal resistance. A typical
    > alkaline AA is 700-1200 milliohms, and even the "advanced" alkalines are
    > 500-1200 mohms. A typical NiMH is 75-125 mohms. I could bore you
    > with explanations of Ohm's Law and device loads. However - a simple
    > explanation is that the internal resistance in an alkaline is the limiting
    > factor (current) in how fast it can charge up a flash.

    Sorry about the numbers - I pulled them from memory, and somehow they
    seemed right at the time. :) I looked up the Energizer datasheets
    at <http://data.energizer.com> .

    Energizer alkaline AA (E91) - 2850 mAh - 146 milliohms internal
    resistance (fresh) - doesn't mention int resist increase as
    it drains.

    Energizer E2 alkaline AA (X91) - 3135 mAh - 127 milliohms internal
    resistance (fresh) - no mention of int resistance changes.

    Energizer NiMH AA (NH15) - 2100 mAh - 30 milliohms (charged) - 40
    milliohms (half discharged).
    y_p_w, Jan 4, 2004
  15. (Wessy1) writes:

    > We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this new
    > camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
    > alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with the
    > flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If so,
    > was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?

    I always use rechargable Nimh's for my flashes (Promaster 5750DX, Kalimar
    175A), though since my camera uses rechargable Nimhs it was a no brainer. I
    find one set generally lasts a whole day (though I always carry extras), while
    I go through 2-3 sets for the camera. Get a good quality charger for the
    batteries, not an overnight charger.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 4, 2004
  16. Wessy1

    Don Coon Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > (Wessy1) writes:
    >
    > > We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this

    new
    > > camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through

    regular
    > > alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries

    with the
    > > flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If

    so,
    > > was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?

    > I always use rechargable Nimh's for my flashes (Promaster 5750DX, Kalimar
    > 175A), though since my camera uses rechargable Nimhs it was a no brainer.

    > find one set generally lasts a whole day (though I always carry extras),

    while
    > I go through 2-3 sets for the camera. Get a good quality charger for the
    > batteries, not an overnight charger.

    On my Canon 420EX flash their life is speced at about half as long as
    alkalines but I've never had them fail on me yet. From memory, I think
    we're talking in the range of 800 shots vs. 400 shots or something similar.
    Don Coon, Jan 4, 2004
  17. Wessy1

    zuuum Guest

    zuuum, Jan 4, 2004