    advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?

    Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
    batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    john hamiliton, Jun 14, 2010

  2. john hamiliton

    Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
    "john hamiliton" <> wrote:

    > My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
    > for £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
    > 850 mAh at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump
    > in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
    >
    > In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
    > extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
    > Argos?
    >
    > Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
    > rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.

    Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
    requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
    better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
    NiMH last time I looked.

    , Jun 14, 2010

  3. john hamiliton

    Mr. Benn Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
    > "john hamiliton" <> wrote:
    >
    >> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
    >> tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
    >> for £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
    >> 850 mAh at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump
    >> in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
    >>
    >> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
    >> extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
    >> Argos?
    >>
    >> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
    >> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
    >>

    > Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
    > requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
    > better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
    > NiMH last time I looked.

    Or even better, 7dayshop.com are usually the cheapest. I buy their own
    brand AAs and AAAs for around £4 for a pack of 4. Watch out for retailers
    selling lower capacity rechargeables.

    Mr. Benn, Jun 14, 2010
  4. john hamiliton

    CD Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
    >batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around £2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
    have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
    various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
    for continued listening.

    CD, Jun 14, 2010
  5. john hamiliton

    newshound Guest

    "CD" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
    >>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    > Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around £2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
    > have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
    > various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
    > for continued listening.

    The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
    expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
    better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
    them.

    newshound, Jun 14, 2010
  6. john hamiliton

    OG Guest

    "john hamiliton" <> wrote in message
    > My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
    > £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh
    > at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump in
    > proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
    >
    > In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
    > advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
    >
    > Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
    > batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
    slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in voltage
    that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a 850mAh
    hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at least
    that's what I've found with my digital camera.

    As for where to buy them; Amazon has good prices (4x AAA uniross hybrio for
    <£4 and free P&P )

    OG, Jun 14, 2010
  7. john hamiliton

    Steve Terry Guest

    "CD" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
    >>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    > Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around £2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
    > have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
    > various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
    > for continued listening.

    For the money Lidl's Tronic brand NiMh cells are great, only problem
    is it's anyone's guess when they are in stock.
    My local lidl's have been out of stock of them for the last 6 months

    Lots of hi capacity AAA on eBay such as:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-AAA-1800mAH...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item3a5973124c

    £3.28 for 8

    Steve Terry
    --
    Welcome Sign-up Bonus of £1 when you signup free at:
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

    Steve Terry, Jun 14, 2010
  8. john hamiliton

    Mr. Benn Guest

    "newshound" <> wrote in message

    > "CD" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
    >>>rechargable
    >>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    >> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around £2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
    >> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
    >> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
    >> for continued listening.

    > The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
    > expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
    > better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
    > them.

    That's what I was about to suggest. These chargers prevent over- and
    under-charging by sensing the voltage of each cell while they are being
    charged.

    Mr. Benn, Jun 15, 2010
  9. john hamiliton

    Mr. Benn Guest

    "OG" <> wrote in message

    > "john hamiliton" <> wrote in message
    >> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
    >> tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
    >> £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh
    >> at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump in
    >> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
    >>
    >> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
    >> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
    >>
    >> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
    >> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
    >> Thanks.

    > Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
    > slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
    > voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a
    > 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at
    > least that's what I've found with my digital camera.

    Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but lower
    self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio that's not
    used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.

    Mr. Benn, Jun 15, 2010
  10. john hamiliton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <hv7fjk$cgl$-september.org>, Mr. Benn
    <> writes
    >"OG" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "john hamiliton" <> wrote in message
    >>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
    >>>tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at
    >>>four for £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary
    >>>rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99,
    >>>which seems a big jump in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
    >>>
    >>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
    >>>extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
    >>>Argos?
    >>>
    >>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
    >>>rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
    >>>Thanks.

    >> Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide
    >>a slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
    >>voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that
    >>a 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary
    >>one, at least that's what I've found with my digital camera.

    >Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but
    >lower self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio
    >that's not used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.

    Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
    from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
    it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
    last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
    will keep going for some time on FM.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Jun 15, 2010
  11. On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:

    > Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get from
    > NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried it
    > lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't last long
    > on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it will keep going
    > for some time on FM.

    I have one that takes C size cells and it just doesn't work with
    rechargable. I tried with some old nicads. It works if I put an extra
    two into the circuit.

    I have a couple of Roberts dab radios that have a switch to select battery
    type. These seem OK.

    Alan

    Alan Clifford, Jun 15, 2010
  12. john hamiliton

    OG Guest

    "Mr. Benn" <> wrote in message
    > "OG" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "john hamiliton" <> wrote in message
    >>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
    >>> tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
    >>> for £10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
    >>> 850 mAh at £5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at £14.99, which seems a big jump in
    >>> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
    >>>
    >>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
    >>> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
    >>>
    >>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
    >>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
    >> slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
    >> voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a
    >> 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one,
    >> at least that's what I've found with my digital camera.

    > Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but lower
    > self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life.

    Ahem; it is also a characteristic that the voltage is higher for longer
    during discharge, so they trigger the 'low battery' warning later than
    standard NiMH cells.

    OG, Jun 15, 2010
  13. john hamiliton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>,
    Alan Clifford <> writes
    >On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:
    >

    >> Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you
    >>get from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've
    >>not tried it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB
    >>radio) doesn't last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or
    >>two. After that, it will keep going for some time on FM.
    >>

    >I have one that takes C size cells and it just doesn't work with
    >rechargable. I tried with some old nicads. It works if I put an extra
    >two into the circuit.
    >
    >I have a couple of Roberts dab radios that have a switch to select
    >battery type. These seem OK.

    Noted. Thanks.
    Of course, in most sets, you can't simply add a couple more batteries.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Jun 15, 2010
  14. john hamiliton

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>,
    > Alan Clifford <> writes
    >>On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:

    <snip>
    > Noted. Thanks.
    > Of course, in most sets, you can't simply add a couple more batteries.
    > Ian

    It depends on the battery case layout.
    e.g. a series pair of AA can be substituted with 3 x 2/3rd AA

    and C cells can be had in 2/3 3/5, etc. sizes

    http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Jun 15, 2010
  15. Ian Jackson wrote:

    > Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
    > from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
    > it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
    > last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
    > will keep going for some time on FM.

    That's going to be expensive on non-rechargeables! The end point
    voltage for alkalines is about 0.9 volts, and they spend quite a lot of
    their life below 1.2.

    David Woolley, Jun 16, 2010
  16. john hamiliton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <hv8r9l$ilc$-september.org>, Steve Terry
    <> writes
    >"Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <>,
    >> Alan Clifford <> writes
    >>>On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> Noted. Thanks.
    >> Of course, in most sets, you can't simply add a couple more batteries.
    >> Ian
    >>

    >It depends on the battery case layout.
    >e.g. a series pair of AA can be substituted with 3 x 2/3rd AA
    >
    >and C cells can be had in 2/3 3/5, etc. sizes
    >
    >http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

    I know that 'shortened' battery sizes exist, but I've never used them
    myself. As they are non-standard, they are not so readily-available, and
    (although I haven't checked yet), guess that they are more expensive.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Jun 16, 2010
  17. On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Steve Terry wrote:

    > "Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <>,
    >> Alan Clifford <> writes
    >>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:

    > <snip>
    >> Noted. Thanks.
    >> Of course, in most sets, you can't simply add a couple more batteries.
    >> Ian
    >>

    > It depends on the battery case layout.
    > e.g. a series pair of AA can be substituted with 3 x 2/3rd AA
    >
    > and C cells can be had in 2/3 3/5, etc. sizes

    My solution was rather more heath-Robinson than that. Your information
    about battery sizes stored away for future reference though.

    We keep that radio plugged into the mains in the kitchen and pretend it
    isn't a portable because it isn't really.

    Alan

    Alan Clifford, Jun 16, 2010
  18. john hamiliton

    Max Demian Guest

    "Brian Gregory [UK]" <> wrote in message
    > "David Woolley" <> wrote in message
    >> Ian Jackson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
    >>> from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
    >>> it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
    >>> last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
    >>> will keep going for some time on FM.

    >> That's going to be expensive on non-rechargeables! The end point voltage
    >> for alkalines is about 0.9 volts, and they spend quite a lot of their
    >> life below 1.2.

    > Indeed.
    >
    > There is an appallingly large amount of equipment around doesn't get
    > anywhere near using all the available energy in the expensive batteries
    > that power it.
    >
    > I've had particularly bad experiences with digital cameras.

    If you use alkaline batteries, just keep the 'exhausted' ones and put them
    in something else.

    I find they run a quartz analogue clock for six months.

    --
    Max Demian

    Max Demian, Jun 17, 2010
  19. john hamiliton

    Ken Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:31:25 +0100, spacecadet <>
    wrote:

    > You're thinking of NiCads. NiMhs are 1.5V.

    No. NiMhs are 1.2 - 1.3 Volts.

    Ken, Jun 19, 2010
  20. john hamiliton

    Steve Terry Guest

    "spacecadet" <> wrote in message

    >> Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
    >> from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
    >> it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
    >> last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
    >> will keep going for some time on FM.

    > You're thinking of NiCads. NiMhs are 1.5V.

    Ummm nope, NiCad's are nominally around 1.25v
    NiMH nominally around 1.35v

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Jun 24, 2010