  2. Re: Recent PnP worm writers caught...

    From: "Imhotep" <>

    | http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/technology/worm_arrest/index.htm?cnn=yes

    NO....

    That's the Plug 'n Play buffer offer flow vulnerability (KB899588), most notable in Win2K,
    and is not a Universal Plug 'n Play (uPnP) problem. The Zotob used TCP port 445 as the
    protocol infection vector and UPnP uses TCP 5000.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-039.mspx

    W32/Zotob.worm -- http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135433.htm

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Aug 27, 2005

  3. David H. Lipman, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
    >

    > That should have been...
    > "...buffer overflow vulnerability..."

    Ya, there are so many vulnerabilities in there products now-a-days I forget
    which service has which vulnerability....it is tough to keep track....
    Imhotep, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Re: Recent PnP worm writers caught...

    From: "Imhotep" <>

    | Ya, there are so many vulnerabilities in there products now-a-days I forget
    | which service has which vulnerability....it is tough to keep track....

    One still has to.... ;-)

    One has to understand the underlying vulnerability and what exploits it. Its remembering
    the MS KB number and associated patch that's the hard part.

    David H. Lipman, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Imhotep" <>
    >

    > | Ya, there are so many vulnerabilities in there products now-a-days I
    > | forget which service has which vulnerability....it is tough to keep
    > | track....
    > |

    > One still has to.... ;-)
    >
    > One has to understand the underlying vulnerability and what exploits it.
    > Its remembering the MS KB number and associated patch that's the hard
    > part.

    I really do not have to remember as at work we use linux (from desktop,
    laptop to server) and at home I use FreeBSD...

    I have escaped the Microsoft trap. I only post those articles for the
    Windows users here...

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Re: Recent PnP worm writers caught...

    "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    >
    > > From: "Imhotep" <>
    > >

    > > | Ya, there are so many vulnerabilities in there products now-a-days I
    > > | forget which service has which vulnerability....it is tough to keep
    > > | track....
    > > |

    > > One still has to.... ;-)
    > >
    > > One has to understand the underlying vulnerability and what exploits it.
    > > Its remembering the MS KB number and associated patch that's the hard
    > > part.
    > >

    > I really do not have to remember as at work we use linux (from desktop,
    > laptop to server) and at home I use FreeBSD...
    >
    > I have escaped the Microsoft trap. I only post those articles for the
    > Windows users here...

    Quite. A little less /obvious/ bias might be appreciated, though - Firefox
    isn't exactly perfect :eek:(

    Oft-inaccurate gloating does not an expert make. And some of the more
    marginal news posts could give you that appearance... let's not get into a
    fight - let's both of try and keep on-topic <thumbs up - forget the smiley>

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 29, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >> David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>
    >> > From: "Imhotep" <>

    >> > One still has to.... ;-)
    >> >
    >> > One has to understand the underlying vulnerability and what exploits
    >> > it. Its remembering the MS KB number and associated patch that's the
    >> > hard part.
    >> >

    >> I really do not have to remember as at work we use linux (from desktop,
    >> laptop to server) and at home I use FreeBSD...
    >>
    >> I have escaped the Microsoft trap. I only post those articles for the
    >> Windows users here...

    > Quite. A little less /obvious/ bias might be appreciated, though - Firefox
    > isn't exactly perfect :eek:(

    > Oft-inaccurate gloating does not an expert make. And some of the more
    > marginal news posts could give you that appearance... let's not get into a
    > fight - let's both of try and keep on-topic <thumbs up - forget the
    > smiley>

    Honestly, and without sarcasm, I normally would agree with you. However, I
    have been around computers all of my life. My father was employed with
    Digital Equipment Corp since almost their beginning and until their
    departure. I knew the VMS operating system at age 12 (close to a
    administrators level) and now I am almost 38.

    I have seen some alarming things in the last 2 years. I am seeing companies
    use so called "IP" laws not for IP protection but really, to keep thier
    competetors at bay. Let's be honest, saying a "menuing system for a music
    player" should be under IP protection is foolish. A menuing system is a
    menuing system. They have been around for 20 years or so now (not counting
    ascii GUIs). How about IM smilies? Surely no one would try to copyright
    that, right? Wrong. A company (Microsoft) is trying to do just that...

    Microsoft has started a lot of bad trends in the software industry. Now,
    they have brought fourth the IP wars...where companes try to say they own
    everything under the Sun. I have said it before, if Microsoft could get
    away with it they would slap a big `old copyright on the decimal system an
    charge all of us when we count. I should not have said that as they
    probably will try just that.

    In short I believe in technology and when a company, like Microsoft, serves
    to impede it rather than contribute to it, I can get nasty...

    So sorry I can not, and will not, stop picking on Microsoft until they stop
    their foolish crap...and until they stop being the biggest blockers of
    innovation.

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Re: Recent PnP worm writers caught...

    "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    <snip>

    > > Oft-inaccurate gloating does not an expert make. And some of the more
    > > marginal news posts could give you that appearance... let's not get into

    > > fight - let's both of try and keep on-topic <thumbs up - forget the
    > > smiley>

    > Honestly, and without sarcasm, I normally would agree with you. However, I
    > have been around computers all of my life. My father was employed with
    > Digital Equipment Corp since almost their beginning and until their
    > departure. I knew the VMS operating system at age 12 (close to a
    > administrators level) and now I am almost 38.

    At this point, I wish you'd taken me up on the "what's the best OS - *in my
    opinion*" question I posed ;o) More than a decade on VMS. I miss the
    elegance of $QIO and (particularly) the SYS$ATOI [I think!] that gave you a
    node-level guaranteed atomic operation. It was CMKRNL level stuff, but -
    bizarrely - calssified as SYS$. Blame BLISS.. ;o)

    There's also the age thing - I'm (barely) older, but I must confess that
    your posts left me with a ..slightly.. "younger" impression.

    This is good. All we now need to agree on is that Ultrix IP (stack, not
    patents) sucked golf-balls through hosepipes, and we'll soon become fast
    friends :eek:)

    > I have seen some alarming things in the last 2 years. I am seeing

    companies
    > use so called "IP" laws not for IP protection but really, to keep thier
    > competetors at bay. Let's be honest, saying a "menuing system for a music
    > player" should be under IP protection is foolish. A menuing system is a
    > menuing system. They have been around for 20 years or so now (not counting
    > ascii GUIs). How about IM smilies? Surely no one would try to copyright
    > that, right? Wrong. A company (Microsoft) is trying to do just that...
    >
    > Microsoft has started a lot of bad trends in the software industry. Now,
    > they have brought fourth the IP wars...where companes try to say they own
    > everything under the Sun. I have said it before, if Microsoft could get
    > away with it they would slap a big `old copyright on the decimal system an
    > charge all of us when we count. I should not have said that as they
    > probably will try just that.
    >
    > In short I believe in technology and when a company, like Microsoft,

    serves
    > to impede it rather than contribute to it, I can get nasty...

    Actually, we unfortuately need to look closer to home. It arguable that DEC
    started the whole thing off, by releasing stuff into "near" public domain,
    and /then/ trying to patent (heads up, chaps, we had non-specific voice
    recognition and dynamic facial animation around fifteen years ago. In a
    demo, at any rate... he was called "Bob", after the Palmer of the same name.
    IBM's abortion was only of academic interest (very good a swearing, sh*te at
    getting anything useful input. "Gibberish On Demand".. and without a member
    of their salesforce ;o)

    And *please* don't get me started on the Amazon "single click". That's more
    a comment on the patent process that the actual item being patented. And I
    work for a company that genuinely relies on generating genuine patents.

    > So sorry I can not, and will not, stop picking on Microsoft until they

    stop
    > their foolish crap...and until they stop being the biggest blockers of
    > innovation.

    Microsoft have never innovated (do I have to add "allegedly"?)

    What they do is take the best ideas and make then *usable*.

    Let's take a couple of examples (sorry. I'm fresh from the pub, so this
    might not make perfect sense. Assume non-malicious typos)

    So.. DOS (QDOS, a rip of CP/M), Windows (Xerox), Windows 3 (DEC Motif) MS
    BASIC (standard language, but no one could do it as fast, or in 4kB), UNIX
    on Intel (forget the name, long since deleted, still used in Engineering),
    WNT (VMS; even came out on AXP first), Win95 (Mac89, but with more than a
    little of a boost in capability), Excel (the whole black-on-white thing was
    Mac), Flight Sim (Psion), talking anything (copy of the Amiga? Which copied
    1982-or-so Psion), C compiler (knocked the whole industry into a cocked hat
    with their optimiser), PowerPoint (if you've used Freelance, then you'll
    know /exactly/ why PP took over), MS Project (Gantt Charts to the masses.
    And £50k cheaper than PMW. And usable [if somewhat crap]), Word (remember
    Ctrl-K for "block" on 1970s WordStar? Even Borland have just abandoned that
    one, in Delphi)

    OK, so I'm just back from a 6am-9pm day, so this is probably not an
    exhaustive list. In fact, if neither of us has been quite so prolific in our
    arguments, it would/should have been an email ;o)

    Patents are a more-that-slightly OT thing: I work for a company with
    patents. People license them (after a brief stint in Court) because (I my
    back-of-a-fag-packet definition) something should only be patented if you
    can explain it in ten minutes and - only *after* the explanation - it's
    "bloody obvious". That makes it a new idea, not a rehash.

    Many of these other "Old Guard" are old Computing companies, mostly having
    bought a Linux vendor in the height of .Bomb.

    What the hell.. it's been a while since we've had a factually-biased
    "proper" slugfest in here.. it's either "about time" or "boring". This is
    Usenet. Let the Netizens decide.. preferably with facts, not emotion. (Yeah,
    r-i-i-i-ght ;o)

    Promise to abide by consensus (although I don't guarantee to be timely -
    sorry, day-job! Need to eat ;o)

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 2, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> [...]

    > our arguments, it would/should have been an email ;o)
    >
    > Patents are a more-that-slightly OT thing: I work for a company with
    > patents. People license them (after a brief stint in Court) because (I my
    > back-of-a-fag-packet definition) something should only be patented if you
    > can explain it in ten minutes and - only *after* the explanation - it's
    > "bloody obvious". That makes it a new idea, not a rehash.
    >
    > Many of these other "Old Guard" are old Computing companies, mostly having
    > bought a Linux vendor in the height of .Bomb.
    >
    > What the hell.. it's been a while since we've had a factually-biased
    > "proper" slugfest in here.. it's either "about time" or "boring". This is
    > Usenet. Let the Netizens decide.. preferably with facts, not emotion.
    > (Yeah, r-i-i-i-ght ;o)
    >
    > Promise to abide by consensus (although I don't guarantee to be timely -

    ....damn that was a novel....

    :)
    Im
    Imhotep, Sep 4, 2005