Recent Quicktime and iTunes problems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Graham, May 16, 2006.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    I recently (Saturday) updated Quicktime and iTunes for their recent
    security update. To cut a long story short, the iTunes install failed
    while it was installing Quicktime, leaving Quicktime not installed
    according to Add/remove Programs, but with the directories and registry
    full of it. Installing the previous version would not work as it said a
    newer version was already installed.

    After many hours spent ripping Quicktime out by hand, trying again, and
    repeating the process, I've found the answer, which I will repeat here
    for anyone who finds themselves in the same boat. (BTW, this came from
    one of a number of posts on the Apple discussion board, but for most
    people, other things seemed to cure it. Maybe x64 is slightly different
    in this regard.)

    The problem is KB908531. Yes, *that* one, the one which hosed a number
    of other things a month or so ago.

    I tried removing KB908531 (from Add/remove Programs), but it warns about
    KB911562 and KB912812, so I removed them first, and then KB908531.

    iTunes and Quicktime then installed and worked. Next I had Microsoft
    update reapply KB908531. After this iTunes crashed, and Quicktime
    started then vanished with nothing ever apearing on the screen.

    I then removed KB908531 again, and now iTunes and Quicktime work again.

    I will now try reapplying KB911562 and KB912812 without KB908531 and see
    what happens.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 16, 2006

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Graham wrote:
    > I will now try reapplying KB911562 and KB912812 without KB908531 and see
    > what happens.

    iTunes and Quicktime still work, so KB908531 is the cause of the problem.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 16, 2006

  3. Same problem... Quicktime and iTunes just won't work anymore out of the blue
    Op

    =?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=, May 16, 2006
  4. Same problem. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Apple and basically
    got the line that X64 is not supported.

    =?Utf-8?B?TmV2c2t5?=, May 16, 2006
  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    OpeXp wrote:
    > Same problem... Quicktime and iTunes just won't work anymore out of the blue
    > Op

    If it suddenly stopped working without being updated, then that is a
    different problem. Are you sure iTunes and Quicktime didn't
    automatically update themselves? If they did, try removing KB908531 and
    then reinstalling iTunes and Quicktime.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 16, 2006
  6. Graham

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I ran the QuickTime standalone installer and ran into a similar problem.
    After I realized that QuickTime was broken, I was able to reinstall it just
    by deleting the QuickTime folder out of Program Files (x86) and running the
    QuickTime 7.0.4 install.

    It's a shame that they seem to have broken it with x64 and don't want to do
    anything about it. :-\

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, May 16, 2006
  7. Hey,
    This deleting the folders have not worked for me... dag.. I have no
    quicktime or iTunes... anybody else got a fix???
    Op

    =?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=, May 17, 2006
  8. Graham

    Graham Guest

    OpeXp wrote:
    > This deleting the folders have not worked for me... dag.. I have no
    > quicktime or iTunes... anybody else got a fix???

    Did you actually try removing KB908531? You haven't said you did.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 17, 2006
  9. I'm worried aobut removing KB908531 because of the security fixes.
    Op

    =?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=, May 17, 2006
  10. How important a fix is KB908531?

    Is it necessary to remove KB911562 and KB912812 before removing KB908531?

    Nevsky

    =?Utf-8?B?TmV2c2t5?=, May 17, 2006
  11. Graham

    Rick Guest

    It's best for you to read about it and then decide for yourself how
    critical it is:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-015.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1b-aa24-48e5-8d5b-ea56341db936&DisplayLang=en

    Rick, May 17, 2006
  12. Graham

    Graham Guest

    OpeXp wrote:
    > I'm worried aobut removing KB908531 because of the security fixes.
    > Op

    Likewise, but you have a choice: Quicktime without security fixes, or
    WebClient in Windows without security fixes. I believe if you disable
    the latter, you don't need KB908531.

    In any case, why not try it and see? You can remove Quicktime again and
    reapply KB908531.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 18, 2006
  13. Graham

    Guest

    This was a great tip, thanks. I was having this exact same problem out
    of nowhere, and all I did was remove KB908531 and reinstall QT and
    iTunes, problem solved.

    Just another reason to stay away from IE - Firefox all the way....

    , May 20, 2006
  14. Hey Guys...
    I didn't feel save removing KB908531.... But as an option I tried VLC Media
    Player and it plays my .H264.mov files flawlessly.

    =?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=, Jun 5, 2006
  15. Graham

    John Barnes Guest

    As does the 169 version of quicktime alternative (Maybe 170 also. They
    seem to have removed the warning about the conflict)

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2006
  16. Graham

    John Barnes Guest

    Guess not, it is just on another page, see here
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_qt.htm

    John Barnes, Jun 5, 2006
  17. When ever i try to burn a cd, my itunes tells me "Disc burner or software not
    found" Does this happen to anyone else.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?=, Jun 26, 2006
  18. When ever i try to burn a cd, my itunes tells me "Disc burner or software not
    found" Does this happen to anyone else.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?=, Jun 26, 2006
  19. You may want to start a new thread rather than jumping into another topic.
    Please clarify your OS and when this started.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 26, 2006
  20. I dont know how to start a new thread

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?=, Jun 26, 2006