    XP, Outlook Express

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 20, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > In one newsgroup on motzarella, the latest post is 12 April on my computer.
    > On Google, posts are up to date.
    >
    > What should I do to get the later posts on motzarella please? I've tried
    > unsubscribe and subscribe, and clicking Sent, no luck.
    > Other groups are fine.

    It's the nature of NNTP, which relies on the neighbour server of a
    poster's server picking up the postings and making them available to the
    next server in the chain. Sometimes the chain gets broken, but that
    usually doesn't matter if the poster's server has multiple neighbours.
    Motzarella may not have got the posts from its upstream server for any
    number of reasons, and there's not a lot you can do about it. Have you
    tried Google News for the missing posts? That's about the only way
    you'll get them.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 21, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> In one newsgroup on motzarella, the latest post is 12 April on my
    >> computer. On Google, posts are up to date.
    >>
    >> What should I do to get the later posts on motzarella please? I've tried
    >> unsubscribe and subscribe, and clicking Sent, no luck.
    >> Other groups are fine.
    >>

    > It's the nature of NNTP, which relies on the neighbour server of a
    > poster's server picking up the postings and making them available to the
    > next server in the chain. Sometimes the chain gets broken, but that
    > usually doesn't matter if the poster's server has multiple neighbours.
    > Motzarella may not have got the posts from its upstream server for any
    > number of reasons, and there's not a lot you can do about it. Have you
    > tried Google News for the missing posts? That's about the only way you'll
    > get them.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    So it's not my computer for once!
    I've got what I wanted from Google.

    Thank you.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 21, 2009
  4. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> In one newsgroup on motzarella, the latest post is 12 April on my
    >>> computer. On Google, posts are up to date.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do to get the later posts on motzarella please?
    >>> I've tried unsubscribe and subscribe, and clicking Sent, no luck.
    >>> Other groups are fine.
    >>>

    >> It's the nature of NNTP, which relies on the neighbour server of a
    >> poster's server picking up the postings and making them available
    >> to the next server in the chain. Sometimes the chain gets broken,
    >> but that usually doesn't matter if the poster's server has multiple
    >> neighbours. Motzarella may not have got the posts from its upstream
    >> server for any number of reasons, and there's not a lot you can do
    >> about it. Have you tried Google News for the missing posts? That's
    >> about the only way you'll get them.
    >>

    > So it's not my computer for once! I've got what I wanted from Google.

    It's *probably* not your computer, Geo.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 21, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's the nature of NNTP, which relies on the neighbour server of a
    >>> poster's server picking up the postings and making them available
    >>> to the next server in the chain. Sometimes the chain gets broken,
    >>> but that usually doesn't matter if the poster's server has multiple
    >>> neighbours. Motzarella may not have got the posts from its upstream
    >>> server for any number of reasons, and there's not a lot you can do
    >>> about it. Have you tried Google News for the missing posts? That's
    >>> about the only way you'll get them.
    >>>

    >> So it's not my computer for once! I've got what I wanted from Google.
    >>

    > It's *probably* not your computer, Geo.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Still no posts after 12 April. I'll try asking on a motzarella group.

    Geopelia, May 21, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> So it's not my computer for once! I've got what I wanted from Google.
    >>>

    >> It's *probably* not your computer, Geo.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Still no posts after 12 April. I'll try asking on a motzarella group.

    Somebody answered on motzarella support. It's fixed now.

    Geopelia, May 23, 2009
  7. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-05-23, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Still no posts after 12 April. I'll try asking on a motzarella group.
    >>

    > Somebody answered on motzarella support. It's fixed now.

    Now I have to ask:

    Would xtra have been so prompt?

    See how asking someone who considers one satistfaction more important than
    than interia and $ can make a very important improvement, to you the user.
    Not customer, for you have paid nought.

    Gordon, May 23, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-05-23, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Still no posts after 12 April. I'll try asking on a motzarella group.
    >>>

    >> Somebody answered on motzarella support. It's fixed now.
    >>

    > Now I have to ask:
    >
    > Would xtra have been so prompt?
    >
    > See how asking someone who considers one satistfaction more important than
    > than interia and $ can make a very important improvement, to you the user.
    > Not customer, for you have paid nought.

    xtra used to be good, but take a long time to answer and I think they have
    moved overseas now.

    Most people are very kind here. I expect they think I am very dumb, but we
    didn't have computers when I was at school.

    Geopelia, May 23, 2009
  9. In message <gv8rle$fvb$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    > ... we didn't have computers when I was at school.

    We didn't have them when I was at school, either.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2009
  10. Geopelia

    Jack Spratt Guest

    > In message <gv8rle$fvb$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> ... we didn't have computers when I was at school.

    > We didn't have them when I was at school, either.

    We had green screen monitors and rubber keyboards (Sinclair) when I was
    there.
    It was all goto sub. Not exactly OOP.

    Jack Spratt, May 24, 2009
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In message <gv8rle$fvb$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... we didn't have computers when I was at school.

    >> We didn't have them when I was at school, either.

    No calculators either.

    > We had green screen monitors and rubber keyboards (Sinclair) when I was
    > there.
    > It was all goto sub. Not exactly OOP.

    We had a blackboard and chalk. No Biros, we wrote with pen and ink.
    Many teachers taught in their gowns.
    It kept the chalk dust off their clothes, though it was really meant to
    impress the kids.

    Geopelia, May 24, 2009
  12. In message <gvbjp3$4t2$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    > Many teachers taught in their gowns.

    Didn't they have classrooms? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 25, 2009
  13. Geopelia

    John Little Guest

    On May 25, 1:57 am, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
> [...]

    However... when I was at school in the 1970s, I first learned
    computer programming in Form 3 (now called Year 9) through ICL
    "computer education in schools", using Winstones head office system,
    filling in coding sheets with BASIC. When my son went to secondary
    school, 30-odd years later, I was horrified to discover that he wasn't
    going to be introduced to programming till Year 12, according to the
    standard syllabus. I complained to the teacher and he blamed the
    Ministry of Education; they set the syllabus.

    Regards, John

    John Little, May 25, 2009
  14. In message <c702c01d-c2cb-4ea9-
    >, John Little wrote:

    > When my son went to secondary
    > school, 30-odd years later, I was horrified to discover that he wasn't
    > going to be introduced to programming till Year 12, according to the
    > standard syllabus. I complained to the teacher and he blamed the
    > Ministry of Education; they set the syllabus.

    That's no longer such a big deal. Nowadays you can have a computer at home,
    and learn its ins and outs to your heart's content, no need for permission
    from the Ministry of Education or anybody else.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 25, 2009
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <c702c01d-c2cb-4ea9-
    >> >, John Little wrote:
    >>
    >>> When my son went to secondary
    >>> school, 30-odd years later, I was horrified to discover that he wasn't
    >>> going to be introduced to programming till Year 12, according to the
    >>> standard syllabus. I complained to the teacher and he blamed the
    >>> Ministry of Education; they set the syllabus.

    >> That's no longer such a big deal. Nowadays you can have a computer at
    >> home, and learn its ins and outs to your heart's content, no need for
    >> permission from the Ministry of Education or anybody else.

    > Well said. There's no way I'll rely purely on the school system for the
    > education of my children.

    We used to get our early childhood education from our parents when I was
    young.
    Our family could all read, write and do simple arithmetic well before we
    went to school. My brother could even do long division!
    We also got a lot of history, geography, "natural history", poetry, Bible
    stories, and the more respectable legends of Greece and Rome.
    And we went to museums and art galleries.

    But back in those days, most mothers didn't have to go out to work.
    Some young children miss out on so much, these days.

    Geopelia, May 28, 2009