    NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

    "Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
    Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 6, 2009

  2. Bucky Breeder

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-06-06, Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out> wrote:
    > Now when my sister's friend downloads her sets

    Her what?

    > they could be anywhere but
    > on the root.

    Good; "anywhere but on the root" is the right place. But that lack of
    precision is the problem that needs to be fixed - anything downloaded
    should go to a suitable sub-directory "somewhere" - one the user knows
    about and can find and has read and write privileges for. (But not execute
    privileges, of course) (Oh, sorry - it's Windows. Just be paranoid about
    what is downloaded and hope to goodness it isn't self-executing malware).

    > Running XP Pro SP3

    <shrug>

    > with all updates and malware scans good.

    Hmm. OK, if you say so.

    [...]

    > The freewares

    What freewares?

    > are not helping much because now they make to reboot on install

    That's the Microsoft way.

    > and then
    > don't show up anywhere

    You mean the user hasn't bothered to either tell the computer where to put
    the downloaded files, or hasn't taken a note of where the program doing
    the download is going to put them. Not easy to fix for past events, but
    the solution for future practice should be bleedin' obvious.

    > but on the desktop little picture.

    Ah, so there are "icons" on the "Desktop". So what are the "properties"
    of those icons? In particular, what is the "property" that states where
    the file actually is that the "icon" is associated with? Write that
    information down in a note-book (you know, the sort made of paper that you
    write on with a pen or pencil).

    (A right-click on an icon should produce a menu from which "Properties" can
    be selected).

    > Would like to
    > get them back to secondary partition or flash drives

    There is almost certain to be at least one "File Manager" program on the
    computer. ("Explorer" is the usual default on Windows systems). Use it
    to put files where they are wanted - and delete all the ones that are not
    wanted.

    > so when they open the
    > pen drive on another computer it stores the eMails on the right one but
    > bounces all the sexually-oriented and pharmaceutical spam.

    Now you've lost me. Is your sister's friend running an email program from
    a USB device? Are you asking a new question about spam filters?

    > Any ideas?
    > Please leave detailed instruction. No trolls need respond because to some
    > this could be a very serious problem. TIA.

    Without physical access to the computer and the user concerned, detailed
    instructions are not a good idea - they'd be wrong, or incomprehensible, or
    both. Tell the person to go back to basic computer discipline, and to make
    notes of such things as "where my browser puts downloads" and "where [name
    of program] puts downloads" and "where [name of program] expects to find
    the files it will be used with" and "what the program that does [name of
    task] is called" and "where [current download] is being saved and what the
    file is called". That sort of thing. The "settings" or "preferences" of
    each program, or of the operating system, are where such information can
    usually be found (and usually, set to what the user prefers). (Windows
    users in particular should also note where their downloads come from - so
    that sources that deliver malware or junk can be avoided in future).

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 8, 2009