    A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
    only one was the correct one.
    Can anyone guess which it was?
    catchme, Jul 10, 2009

  2. In message <OAN5m.19$>, catchme wrote:
    > my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
    > wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
    > For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
    > play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
    > trouble locating.
    > Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
    >
    > 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
    > 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
    > replacing or cleaning

    ******* 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.****

    Thats my guess. Ive heard CRT's make wacky noises before.
    Whadda I win?

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 10, 2009

  3. catchme

    chuckcar Guest

    catchme <> wrote in

    > my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
    > wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
    > For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
    > play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
    > trouble locating.
    > Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
    >
    > 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
    > 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
    > replacing or cleaning
    > 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
    > 4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
    > 5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early
    > symptom. 6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
    > A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
    > only one was the correct one.
    > Can anyone guess which it was?

    The monitor. Happens to TV's all the time.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 10, 2009
  4. catchme

    PeeCee Guest

    "catchme" <> wrote in message
    > my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
    > wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
    > For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
    > play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had trouble
    > locating.
    > Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
    >
    > 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
    > 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
    > replacing or cleaning
    > 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
    > 4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
    > 5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early
    > symptom.
    > 6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
    > A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
    > only one was the correct one.
    > Can anyone guess which it was?

    I did have a motherboard that under certain load conditions one of the
    onboard voltage regulator inductors would 'sing' (whine if you like)
    A dab or two of hot melt glue fixed that one.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 11, 2009
  5. Hello,

    Are you using a CRT monitor? Like the rest of the posts say, it is most
    likely the CRT monitor.

    Try tinkering with a lower or higher refresh rate on the monitor and it
    should go away. You can change the refresh rate by going to Start > Control
    Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Monitor

    __
    Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
    Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 11, 2009
  6. catchme

    catchme Guest

    philo wrote:

    > I suspect #3 CRT whine.
    >
    > If that's wrong...then the only other thing I can think of that could
    > whine would be the powersupply

    -whaddya know- everybody was right the first try! I should have asked
    here right off.
    Me, well- i upgraded my psu first, then cleaned my cpu fan, graphics
    card fan, and then decided to do a late spring cleaning on everything.
    Then later (after plugging everything in and turning it on) on a whim, I
    turned off the monitor in the middle of my game.
    All and all, no harm, no foul. I have a supercharged powersupply for a
    relatively modestly configured pc, now freshly cleaned. And a noiseless
    monitor.
    catchme, Jul 11, 2009
  7. catchme

    John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes, Jul 11, 2009
  8. catchme

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:35:27 +0800, Singapore Computer Service wrote:

    > Hell

    Fix your sig delimiter and quit top-posting.

    Aardvark, Jul 11, 2009
  9. catchme

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing catchme <> bada bang:
    > my machine is a 3 year old AMD, 1.7GHz with 1 Gb. RAM and an ati all-in
    > wonder video card (I "wonder" how they can call it that).
    > For some time until recently (i fixed the problem), whenever I wanted to
    > play Diablo2, I encountered a high-pitch whine from a source i had
    > trouble locating.
    > Going through the usual list, do you suspect it was:
    >
    > 1) the PSU was underpowered or wearing out, thus needing replacement
    > 2) the graphic card was overheated or clogging the fan, thus needed
    > replacing or cleaning
    > 3) The monitor could not support the resolution, or was dying.
    > 4) the CPU fan needed cleaning or replaced
    > 5) The CPU itself was almost done, and the sound was just an early symptom.
    > 6) perhaps the entire mainboard?
    > A search on google indicated all of these were possible, but in the end
    > only one was the correct one.
    > Can anyone guess which it was?

    You're suffering from tinnitus.

    Mike "not much you can do about it" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham
    Mike Yetto, Jul 11, 2009