Receiving Emails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by robertelarkin@gmail.com, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have had a GMAIL account since it came out to the public, I like
    most of the features and It is much ahead of yahoo, which I had. But
    right now I am having a problem that I can not figure out. For a year
    and a half any EMAIL that I received would come to my INBOX and if it
    were spam I would send it to TRASH or write a filter for it. But since
    this last past weekend every piece of EMAIL I get goes to TRASH and I
    have to go to TRASH and send the mail I need to my INBOX. Before I
    figured out what was going on I wrote some EMAILS to myself and each
    one went to TRASH. I can not figure out what is causing
    this.............Can someone help this situation.
     
    , Feb 26, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have had a GMAIL account since it came out to the public, I like
    > most of the features and It is much ahead of yahoo, which I had. But
    > right now I am having a problem that I can not figure out. For a year
    > and a half any EMAIL that I received would come to my INBOX and if it
    > were spam I would send it to TRASH or write a filter for it. But since
    > this last past weekend every piece of EMAIL I get goes to TRASH and I
    > have to go to TRASH and send the mail I need to my INBOX. Before I
    > figured out what was going on I wrote some EMAILS to myself and each
    > one went to TRASH. I can not figure out what is causing
    > this.............Can someone help this situation.
    >

    Try checking all your filters.
     
    meerkat, Feb 26, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Feb 26, 3:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...>I have had a GMAIL account since it came out to the public, I like
    > > most of the features and It is much ahead of yahoo, which I had. But
    > > right now I am having a problem that I can not figure out. For a year
    > > and a half any EMAIL that I received would come to my INBOX and if it
    > > were spam I would send it to TRASH or write a filter for it. But since
    > > this last past weekend every piece of EMAIL I get goes to TRASH and I
    > > have to go to TRASH and send the mail I need to my INBOX. Before I
    > > figured out what was going on I wrote some EMAILS to myself and each
    > > one went to TRASH. I can not figure out what is causing
    > > this.............Can someone help this situation.

    >
    > Try checking all your filters.


    I did check my filters all 4900 of them.
     
    , Feb 26, 2007
    #3
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > "meerkat"
    >> <> wrote in message


    >>> every piece of EMAIL I get
    >>> goes to TRASH


    >> Try checking all your filters.

    >
    > I did check my filters all 4900 of them.


    4900 filters? I think not. That is definitely not a good idea, because
    you are going to have to go into Edit and examine each one of them for a
    'broad' mistaken delete function.

    Maybe it would be best to start with deleting all 4900 of your filters
    and starting all over again.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Feb 26, 2007
    #4
  5. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Feb 26, 3:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...>I have had
    >> a GMAIL account since it came out to the public, I like
    >> > most of the features and It is much ahead of yahoo, which I had. But
    >> > right now I am having a problem that I can not figure out. For a year
    >> > and a half any EMAIL that I received would come to my INBOX and if it
    >> > were spam I would send it to TRASH or write a filter for it. But since
    >> > this last past weekend every piece of EMAIL I get goes to TRASH and I
    >> > have to go to TRASH and send the mail I need to my INBOX. Before I
    >> > figured out what was going on I wrote some EMAILS to myself and each
    >> > one went to TRASH. I can not figure out what is causing
    >> > this.............Can someone help this situation.

    >>
    >> Try checking all your filters.

    >
    > I did check my filters all 4900 of them.
    >

    Then try switching off your filters, and send yourself a
    couple of e-mails, to see what happens.
     
    meerkat, Feb 26, 2007
    #5
  6. Guest

    On Feb 26, 3:22 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Feb 26, 3:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    >
    > >>news:...>Ihave had
    > >> a GMAIL account since it came out to the public, I like
    > >> > most of the features and It is much ahead of yahoo, which I had. But
    > >> > right now I am having a problem that I can not figure out. For a year
    > >> > and a half any EMAIL that I received would come to my INBOX and if it
    > >> > were spam I would send it to TRASH or write a filter for it. But since
    > >> > this last past weekend every piece of EMAIL I get goes to TRASH and I
    > >> > have to go to TRASH and send the mail I need to my INBOX. Before I
    > >> > figured out what was going on I wrote some EMAILS to myself and each
    > >> > one went to TRASH. I can not figure out what is causing
    > >> > this.............Can someone help this situation.

    >
    > >> Try checking all your filters.

    >
    > > I did check my filters all 4900 of them.

    >
    > Then try switching off your filters, and send yourself a
    > couple of e-mails, to see what happens.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I will try what you suggest............thanks
     
    , Feb 26, 2007
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Feb 26, 3:18 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > "meerkat"
    > >> <> wrote in message
    > >>> every piece of EMAIL I get
    > >>> goes to TRASH
    > >> Try checking all your filters.

    >
    > > I did check my filters all 4900 of them.

    >
    > 4900 filters? I think not. That is definitely not a good idea, because
    > you are going to have to go into Edit and examine each one of them for a
    > 'broad' mistaken delete function.
    >
    > Maybe it would be best to start with deleting all 4900 of your filters
    > and starting all over again.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter


    These filters are written to keep those illegal spammers from Germany,
    France, China etc from continuously sending their garbage over and
    over again, it was working. What the filters do is, each time I get
    one of those emails the filter will do two things, first it will send
    a copy back to the sender and next it would send it to trash........I
    do not see how that would affect my recieving emails.......unless the
    email I am recieving is on the filter list................
     
    , Feb 26, 2007
    #7
  8. "" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have had a GMAIL account since it came out to the public, I like
    > most of the features and It is much ahead of yahoo, which I had. But
    > right now I am having a problem that I can not figure out. For a year
    > and a half any EMAIL that I received would come to my INBOX and if it
    > were spam I would send it to TRASH or write a filter for it. But since
    > this last past weekend every piece of EMAIL I get goes to TRASH and I
    > have to go to TRASH and send the mail I need to my INBOX. Before I
    > figured out what was going on I wrote some EMAILS to myself and each
    > one went to TRASH. I can not figure out what is causing
    > this.............Can someone help this situation.



    Yes! This is a classic case of too many filters and/or
    a problem with how you have constructed your filters.

    Take away all your filters and start all over...

    --

    Basically, there are three ways the skunk and I are a lot alike.
    The first is we both like to spread our "stink" around.
    The second is we both get hit by cars a lot.
    The third is stripes.
     
    Bucky Breeder, Feb 26, 2007
    #8
  9. wrote:

    > each time I get
    > one of those emails the filter will do two things, first it will send
    > a copy back to the sender


    Dumb, really dumb.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 26, 2007
    #9
  10. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"


    >> Maybe it would be best to start with deleting all 4900 of your
    >> filters and starting all over again.


    > These filters are written to keep those illegal spammers from Germany,
    > France, China etc from continuously sending their garbage over and
    > over again, it was working.


    Spammers do *not* use their own From on spam; they normally use a
    'bogus' rather forged From, and which bogus/forged From is usually a
    real address and which real address is the same 'kind of' address as the
    spam is sent to. That is spam From = spammee addresses, which can
    include your own.

    > What the filters do is, each time I get
    > one of those emails the filter will do two things, first it will send
    > a copy back to the sender and next it would send it to trash........


    Your creation of a newmail addressed to a spam's bogus/forged From which
    is actually a real person with a real address who isn't interested in
    getting your mail because of something they didn't send is an abusive
    configuration. Your 'mechanism' is a very bad one. That also doesn't
    make a good filter because spammer's don't keep using the same From and,
    it 'spams' innocent forged Froms.

    > I
    > do not see how that would affect my recieving emails.......unless the
    > email I am recieving is on the filter list................


    It is common practice for some spammers to put a recipient such as you
    into the From. Your system would construct a filter with your address
    going to the Trash. That's also a bad idea.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Feb 26, 2007
    #10
  11. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-02-26, <> wrote:
    > On Feb 26, 3:18 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > "meerkat"
    >> >> <> wrote in message
    >> >>> every piece of EMAIL I get
    >> >>> goes to TRASH
    >> >> Try checking all your filters.

    >>
    >> > I did check my filters all 4900 of them.


    Crazy!

    >> 4900 filters? I think not. That is definitely not a good idea, because
    >> you are going to have to go into Edit and examine each one of them for a
    >> 'broad' mistaken delete function.
    >>
    >> Maybe it would be best to start with deleting all 4900 of your filters
    >> and starting all over again.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    >
    > These filters are written to keep those illegal spammers from Germany,
    > France, China etc from continuously sending their garbage over and
    > over again, it was working. What the filters do is, each time I get
    > one of those emails the filter will do two things, first it will send
    > a copy back to the sender


    That is a Very Bad Idea. No spammer in his right mind is going to use an
    email address of his own to put in the From header! By sending anything
    to the faked From address, you are just adding to the volume of spam
    circulating - and possibly sending a significant number of spam messages
    to your own address ... you may even be in breach of the terms of usage of
    your email account.

    > and next it would send it to trash........I
    > do not see how that would affect my recieving emails.......unless the
    > email I am recieving is on the filter list................


    Not impossible; a favourite trick of spammers is to put a real email
    address in the From header, which belongs to someone else. Your own email
    address(es) are quite possibly on their list of useful addresses for
    stealing for that purpose; so you could easily have filtered yourself out
    of your own inbox <G>

    Here's the official way to react to spam in your Gmail inbox:

    ..-----<http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en-GB/about.html#spam>
    | 3. What about spam?
    |
    | Innovative Google technology on the inside keeps spam messages on the
    | outside. Lack of spam is one of our users' number one reasons for
    | appreciating Google Mail. And we keep improving our sophisticated spam
    | filter every day. You can help by using the Report Spam button, which
    | removes spam from your inbox and automatically improves spam filtering in
    | the future.
    '-----

    (In the UK, the Gmail name was already taken by someone else so Google's
    webmail service is called Google Mail).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Whiskers, Feb 26, 2007
    #11
  12. Guest

    On Feb 26, 4:00 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > "Mike Easter"
    > >> Maybe it would be best to start with deleting all 4900 of your
    > >> filters and starting all over again.

    > > These filters are written to keep those illegal spammers from Germany,
    > > France, China etc from continuously sending their garbage over and
    > > over again, it was working.

    >
    > Spammers do *not* use their own From on spam; they normally use a
    > 'bogus' rather forged From, and which bogus/forged From is usually a
    > real address and which real address is the same 'kind of' address as the
    > spam is sent to. That is spam From = spammee addresses, which can
    > include your own.
    >
    > > What the filters do is, each time I get
    > > one of those emails the filter will do two things, first it will send
    > > a copy back to the sender and next it would send it to trash........

    >
    > Your creation of a newmail addressed to a spam's bogus/forged From which
    > is actually a real person with a real address who isn't interested in
    > getting your mail because of something they didn't send is an abusive
    > configuration. Your 'mechanism' is a very bad one. That also doesn't
    > make a good filter because spammer's don't keep using the same From and,
    > it 'spams' innocent forged Froms.
    >
    > > I
    > > do not see how that would affect my recieving emails.......unless the
    > > email I am recieving is on the filter list................

    >
    > It is common practice for some spammers to put a recipient such as you
    > into the From. Your system would construct a filter with your address
    > going to the Trash. That's also a bad idea.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter


    Thanks Mike, I do know that some of the spammers use bogus address, I
    just get tired of receiving all that garbage. I was not writing this
    type filter on all spam, just selected ones, but I will look at
    scaling back on this method.
     
    , Feb 26, 2007
    #12
  13. Mike Easter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> "meerkat"
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >
    >>>> every piece of EMAIL I get
    >>>> goes to TRASH

    >
    >>> Try checking all your filters.

    >>
    >> I did check my filters all 4900 of them.

    >
    > 4900 filters? I think not. That is definitely not a good idea, because
    > you are going to have to go into Edit and examine each one of them for a
    > 'broad' mistaken delete function.
    >
    > Maybe it would be best to start with deleting all 4900 of your filters
    > and starting all over again.


    All of his filters are belong to us.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 27, 2007
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. geopelia

    receiving another computer's emails.

    geopelia, Sep 18, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,428
    geopelia
    Sep 19, 2003
  2. Julie Garner

    not receiving emails

    Julie Garner, Sep 30, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    568
    Aries
    Sep 30, 2003
  3. PWB

    receiving my emails as SMS messeges

    PWB, Oct 5, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    574
  4. BooBoo

    Receiving multiple emails

    BooBoo, Oct 20, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,575
    Jack B. Pollack
    Oct 20, 2003
  5. BooBoo

    Re: Receiving multiple emails

    BooBoo, Oct 24, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,172
    Boomer
    Oct 24, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page