    provider.

    thanks.

    b.
    Bullwinkle, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Bullwinkle

    trout Guest

    Bullwinkle wrote:

    > How do I set up my news users account to receive and send email when
    > using a dsl account?

    Say what? "news" and "mail" are two distinctly separate things. You
    can't receive mail in a news account.

    I have to log into my dsl providers web site to
    > access my email? pop/smtp services are an additional cost from the
    > provider.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > b.

    Really? I've never heard of this. Who is the provider? Not Verison,
    surely?
    --
    "Yes, I just called you Shirley."
    trout, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Bullwinkle

    Bullwinkle Guest

    Re: Receiving and sending email from user groups with an non popaccount?

    trout wrote:
    > Bullwinkle wrote:
    >

    >>How do I set up my news users account to receive and send email when
    >>using a dsl account?

    > Say what? "news" and "mail" are two distinctly separate things. You
    > can't receive mail in a news account.

    I'll try and be a little more specific if that is what you are asking for...

    I'm able to post to the users groups but am unable to reply directly
    to the posters via their posts. And when I do post to the board it
    rejects my postings 3-4 times before posting.

    nuff said.

    Bullwinkle, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Bullwinkle

    trout Guest

    Bullwinkle wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Bullwinkle wrote:
    >>

    >>> How do I set up my news users account to receive and send email when
    >>> using a dsl account?

    >> Say what? "news" and "mail" are two distinctly separate things.
    >> You can't receive mail in a news account.

    > I'll try and be a little more specific if that is what you are asking
    > for...
    >
    > I'm able to post to the users groups but am unable to reply directly
    > to the posters via their posts. And when I do post to the board it
    > rejects my postings 3-4 times before posting.
    >
    > nuff said.

    Maybe not quite. So, you're posting to newsgroups, using
    Thunderbird as a news client. Do you use Verison's, or a separate news
    server? Obviously, 'this' newsgroup is functioning correctly for you.
    Which "user groups" are you speaking of? Are they "moderated" groups
    that require permission to post?
    And, as for "replying directly" to posters (I assume, via email),
    have you checked the properties of the post to see if the poster's
    address is 'munged' (diguised to foil spammers with an addition), or
    simply invalid?
    Remember, that unlike email, a valid address is often not required to
    send a message.
    --
    "And personal replies are often unwelcome."
    trout, Feb 24, 2005

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 24, 2005
  6. Bullwinkle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bullwinkle wrote:
    > How do I set up my news users account to receive and send email when
    > using a dsl account?

    Verizon dsl news server is news.verizon.net. You have to use your
    username & pw. It looks like you posted here using verizon services;
    that's a verizon dsl IP and a verizon abuse X-line

    > I have to log into my dsl providers web site to
    > access my email? pop/smtp services are an additional cost from the
    > provider.

    I don't think so. According to the website you can have webmail and
    pop/smtp with 9 email addies.

    Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.verizon.net
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net

    Bullwinkle wrote:
    > I'm able to post to the users groups but am unable to reply directly
    > to the posters via their posts.

    Don't be emailing people about newsgroup related posts.

    > And when I do post to the board it
    > rejects my postings 3-4 times before posting.

    .... and the alert message says what?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Bullwinkle

    trout wrote:

    > Maybe not quite. So, you're posting to newsgroups, using
    > Thunderbird as a news client. Do you use Verison's, or a separate news
    > server? Obviously, 'this' newsgroup is functioning correctly for you.
    > Which "user groups" are you speaking of? Are they "moderated" groups
    > that require permission to post?
    > And, as for "replying directly" to posters (I assume, via email),
    > have you checked the properties of the post to see if the poster's
    > address is 'munged' (diguised to foil spammers with an addition), or
    > simply invalid?
    > Remember, that unlike email, a valid address is often not required to
    > send a message.

    I am using the Thunderbird news client using Verizon's news server but
    have had simular problems with outlook and when I was using Earthlinks
    dial up server when they went to server base email login accounts. When
    I was using dialup with pop/smtp and the mail inbox folder was located
    directly on my computer and viewed with the Outlook client I had no
    problems. Once MSN, Earthlink, Netzero, and Verizon required me to log
    onto their web site to obtain my messages I could no longer do this. I
    believe this is due to the fact that my outgoing server is no longer a
    SMTP server. I have tried changing my setup for retrieving messages
    but the options are limited. The problems maybe with Verizon but I can
    not verify as I do not know how or if I would be able to set up a news
    groups account up under Netzero using their free 10 hours a month.

    As for the users blocking my emails, I have mailed test messages back to
    myself using various email addresses that I have. And the only groups
    that I have had the need to reply directly to posters for have been for
    items that they had posted forsale.
    Bullwinkle, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Bullwinkle

    trout Guest

    Bullwinkle wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >

    >> Maybe not quite. So, you're posting to newsgroups, using
    >> Thunderbird as a news client. Do you use Verison's, or a separate
    >> news server? Obviously, 'this' newsgroup is functioning correctly
    >> for you. Which "user groups" are you speaking of? Are they
    >> "moderated" groups that require permission to post?
    >> And, as for "replying directly" to posters (I assume, via email),
    >> have you checked the properties of the post to see if the poster's
    >> address is 'munged' (diguised to foil spammers with an addition), or
    >> simply invalid?
    >> Remember, that unlike email, a valid address is often not required to
    >> send a message.

    > I am using the Thunderbird news client using Verizon's news server but
    > have had simular problems with outlook and when I was using Earthlinks
    > dial up server when they went to server base email login accounts.
    > When I was using dialup with pop/smtp and the mail inbox folder was
    > located directly on my computer and viewed with the Outlook client I
    > had no problems. Once MSN, Earthlink, Netzero, and Verizon required
    > me to log onto their web site to obtain my messages I could no longer
    > do this. I believe this is due to the fact that my outgoing server
    > is no longer a SMTP server. I have tried changing my setup for
    > retrieving messages
    > but the options are limited. The problems maybe with Verizon but I
    > can not verify as I do not know how or if I would be able to set up a
    > news groups account up under Netzero using their free 10 hours a
    > month.

    Okay, you lost me, again. As far as I can tell; you *should* be able
    to access news groups, as well as use email (for your Verison account)
    using the same client (Thunderbird, for example) using the settings
    entioned on their site, as Mike E, noted. As for integration of other
    services that you use for email, I don't know, as I'm not really
    familiar with either them, or your mail client. If it's anything like
    Outlook Express, if you clicked "reply to sender" for a newsgroup post,
    it would be sent in your default mail account (presumably Verison).

    > As for the users blocking my emails, I have mailed test messages back
    > to myself using various email addresses that I have. And the only
    > groups that I have had the need to reply directly to posters for have
    > been for items that they had posted forsale.

    No, not *blocked* per se. Just possibly addresses used in a form
    that either cannot be used as a valid address, or needs to be changed
    (like removing a 'spam munge' like "nospam", etc.) in order to work.
    Have you checked the Properties of the post(s) to which you're trying to
    reply to *see* the actual address that they have used (as oppose to just
    hitting 'reply')?
    --
    "Sorry, I can't be more specific about your particular set-up."
    trout, Feb 24, 2005