  1. Time to play.

    I guess a clean install is the way to go.
    I have 32 bit on one HDD and the x64 bit Beta on another HDD .

    Gary Ritter MCSE, May 16, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005

  3. I agree, I use a dual boot myself at home, 32bit for things without drivers
    or apps that havent been updated, x64 for all my games, stuff I do day to
    day, etc. Works fine.

    Just make sure you have it in a totally separate partition.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 17, 2005
  4. Gary Ritter MCSE

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:
    > I agree, I use a dual boot myself at home, 32bit for things without drivers
    > or apps that havent been updated, x64 for all my games, stuff I do day to
    > day, etc. Works fine.
    >
    > Just make sure you have it in a totally separate partition.

    Unfortunately, the system files for all Windows installations are on
    C: - so there is no total separation.

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 17, 2005
  5. Gary Ritter MCSE

    Rick Guest

    Not true at all. Windows XP and x64 can use any drive letter as their
    home/boot drive. It has been mentioned in this forum that one person's
    x64 booted to H: drive. I have had several different home/boot letters
    depending on my hardware at the time of installation.

    DOS is the OS that will only install to C: drive as a home/boot drive.

    Rick, May 17, 2005
  6. Gary Ritter MCSE

    Antoine Leca Guest

    En <news:eGiWX%>,
    Roy Coorne va escriure:
    > Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:
    >> Just make sure you have it in a totally separate partition.
    >>

    > Unfortunately, the system files for all Windows installations are on
    > C: - so there is no total separation.

    First, there is no requisite for the system files to be in C:. In fact, if
    you install in a volume different from the booting volume, the system files
    will be almost surely anywhere but in C:. I do not have any C: drive here,
    and this does not hurt Windows (generally, the ones that are hurt are
    precisely the ones I want to intercept, malwares or badly programmed apps.)

    Then, if you use some bootmanager that change the active partition (so there
    is various "C:" disks), on the long term you may find having all the OS in
    C: to be a Good Thing. For example, because your second volume, with the
    datas, is D: for everybody :).
    In fact this was much more of a concern back in DOS/Windows days (because of
    the fixed and thorny algorithm to allocate letters.

    What is NOT recommanded is to install various Windows (I mean
    %windir%/%SystemRoot%) side by side on the same volume. Avoid doing this
    like the plague, /even/ if you know what you are doing.

    Antoine

    Antoine Leca, May 17, 2005
  7. Thats one of the nice features of NT.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005