    white, with a blue border. Looks like something I could've printed
    from my ink jet. Anyone else agree?

    -Chachi

    Chachi, May 16, 2007

  2. My only guess as to the reason the certificate is of such poor quality is
    because there are so many certified professionals now. Of which, only a fraction
    should actually be certified. I see those certificates as a reflection of the
    quality of the certification itself. Would you agree?

    How do you feel now that you have the certificate in-hand?

    Do you feel more superior?

    Or do you just feel like you've accomplished something that any old braindumper
    could accomplish?

    Help raise the value of your certifications.
    http://www.certguard.com

    --
    CertGuard

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], May 16, 2007

  3. Chachi

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Chachi,

    You are right, the certificates have changed a number of times over the
    years, and the scuttlebutt is they are going to change again shortly. The
    current iteration - the white paper with blue border - came about at the
    beginning of July 2006, and it did not happen without a fair amount of
    outcry. I know that MSL has heard it and suspect they will do something
    shortly. In the meantime frame it... and be proud of it! It is not the
    certificate that means something, it is the achievement. With one exception
    I have them all framed... and will frame the MCTS when I get my MCITP
    shortly.

    Montreal MCT, May 17, 2007
  4. Chachi

    Chachi Guest

    On May 16, 1:59 pm, "Robert Williams [CertGuard]"
    <NewsGroups[at[CertGuard[dot]co_> wrote:
    > My only guess as to the reason the certificate is of such poor quality is
    > because there are so many certified professionals now. Of which, only a fraction
    > should actually be certified. I see those certificates as a reflection of the
    > quality of the certification itself. Would you agree?

    I don't think it's quite that deep. Why would Microsoft deliberately
    want to contribute to the pessimistic idea that most, if not all, of
    their newly certified are cheaters, and therefore deserve an ugly
    looking certificate? I just think Microsoft is being cheap when they
    shouldn't. Simple as that. I studied hard and paid good money to sit
    the exams -- I would've liked something more attractive and frame
    worthy.

    I think that most certified pros earned their credentials through hard
    work and lots of studying, like myself. Does CertGuard really hold
    the opposite idea, that only an elite few actually deserve their cert,
    and the remaining majority cheated their way to a passing score?

    > How do you feel now that you have the certificate in-hand?

    I feel great that I followed through with my goal of earning an MCDST
    certificate, but disappointed that it looks so boring and cheap.

    > Do you feel more superior?

    I feel superior to the person I was two months ago. Accomplishment
    does that to me :)

    > Or do you just feel like you've accomplished something that any old braindumper
    > could accomplish?

    Because I passed my tests legitimately, I feel I've accomplished much
    more than a braindumper ever could. I still see plenty of value in my
    certs, and so do the companies I'm interviewing with.

    > Help raise the value of your certifications.http://www.certguard.com

    OK... Anyway, I still like the old certificate design better. I
    should have done this back in 2004!

    Chachi, May 17, 2007
  5. Chachi

    catwalker63 Guest

    Montreal MCT piffled away vaguely:
    > "Chachi" <> wrote in message
    >> I must say that I'm disappointed by the look of the certificate. From
    >> the images I've seen online, the certs used to have a nice multi-color
    >> counterfeit-proof look to them. Mine is just black text on plain
    >> white, with a blue border. Looks like something I could've printed
    >> from my ink jet. Anyone else agree?

    > In the meantime frame it... and be proud of it! It is not the
    > certificate that means something, it is the achievement. With one exception
    > I have them all framed... and will frame the MCTS when I get my MCITP
    > shortly.

    I don't even have mine out of the envelopes they came in. For the most
    part, they don't mean anything to anyone but me.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, May 17, 2007
  6. Chachi

    CBIC Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    For the most
    > part, they don't mean anything to anyone but me.

    So they are like pictures of pets and kids then?

    CBIC, May 17, 2007
  7. "Chachi" <> wrote in message
    > On May 16, 1:59 pm, "Robert Williams [CertGuard]"
    > <NewsGroups[at[CertGuard[dot]co_> wrote:
    >> My only guess as to the reason the certificate is of such poor quality is
    >> because there are so many certified professionals now. Of which, only a
    >> fraction
    >> should actually be certified. I see those certificates as a reflection of the
    >> quality of the certification itself. Would you agree?

    > I don't think it's quite that deep. Why would Microsoft deliberately
    > want to contribute to the pessimistic idea that most, if not all, of
    > their newly certified are cheaters, and therefore deserve an ugly
    > looking certificate? I just think Microsoft is being cheap when they
    > shouldn't. Simple as that. I studied hard and paid good money to sit
    > the exams -- I would've liked something more attractive and frame
    > worthy.
    >
    > I think that most certified pros earned their credentials through hard
    > work and lots of studying, like myself. Does CertGuard really hold
    > the opposite idea, that only an elite few actually deserve their cert,
    > and the remaining majority cheated their way to a passing score?

    I feel you've misunderstood what I originally meant.

    There are roughly two million Microsoft Certified Professionals out there, of
    which it's been estimated that up to 250K of them are cheaters. I did not state
    that MOST of the certified professionals cheated on their certs, only that a
    fraction of them deserve the certification they have. Last time I checked, 7/8
    was still a fraction. ;)

    Not that I believe ALL of them need to be certified, but at least they didn't
    cheat to achieve those certs. I do not agree with individuals getting certified
    just to get certified. I refuse to get certified for that very reason.

    If a person has been working on a specific technology for a while and wants to
    reinforce their knowledge by getting certified in that technology, then so be
    it, but certifications have been abused over the years. Many people see
    certifications as a way "to get your foot in the door", so they get certified,
    then realize that it didn't do them any good, because they still don't have the
    experience (or knowledge) to hold a position that requires someone that's
    actually done the work.

    People come in here every day asking "I got my MCSA...now What?" (or something
    similarly lame) and it bugs many of the professionals here. "What do you mean
    you have your MCSA, but don't know where to go with it? Are you serious, you're
    a Systems Architect and you don't know what to do?"

    As for an elite few? No, an elite few would be the number of MCNGP in existence.
    I think 1.75M is quite a bit more than an elite few.

    >> How do you feel now that you have the certificate in-hand?

    > I feel great that I followed through with my goal of earning an MCDST
    > certificate, but disappointed that it looks so boring and cheap.

    I'm glad you do and I'm happy that you've accomplished the feat without cheating
    or otherwise being immoral about it, but what were you expecting them to send
    you? A collegiate degree? I'm sorry, but if you did it for the paper, you're in
    the wrong field. If you have a college degree on the wall, you'll understand
    that the quality of the certificate reflects what you have put into it,
    comparatively of course.

    >> Do you feel more superior?

    > I feel superior to the person I was two months ago. Accomplishment
    > does that to me :)

    Great!! You should feel much better about yourself, I know I do whenever I
    accomplish a task that I've been wanting to get done.

    >> Or do you just feel like you've accomplished something that any old
    >> braindumper
    >> could accomplish?

    > Because I passed my tests legitimately, I feel I've accomplished much
    > more than a braindumper ever could. I still see plenty of value in my
    > certs, and so do the companies I'm interviewing with.

    They can pass the same tests you do. What makes you better than them is the fact
    that you did study legitimately. But how does the employer know that?

    >> Help raise the value of your certifications.http://www.certguard.com
    >>

    > OK... Anyway, I still like the old certificate design better. I
    > should have done this back in 2004!

    Hindsight is always 20/20.

    I have to be honest, when I started researching certifications (around 2003) I
    really looked up to the people that held the MCSA and MCSE certifications. Now,
    however, I find it hard to look up to some of the MCTs that I know.

    Anyways, congrats on your previous accomplishments and good luck on your future
    ones.

    --
    CertGuard
    www.CertGuard.com

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], May 17, 2007
  8. Chachi

    CBIC Guest

    "Robert Williams [CertGuard]" <NewsGroups[at[CertGuard[dot]co_> wrote in
    message news:...

    > As for an elite few? No, an elite few would be the number of MCNGP in
    > existence.

    An even more elite few would be the number of MCNGP still posting in these
    NGs.

    CBIC, May 17, 2007
  9. Chachi

    catwalker63 Guest

    CBIC piffled away vaguely:

    > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> For the most part, they don't mean anything to anyone
    >> but me.

    > So they are like pictures of pets and kids then?

    Good analogy.

    catwalker63, May 18, 2007
  10. Chachi

    RemoteShark Guest

    I am still waiting for my cert. I requested it about 5 weeks ago, so I am
    hopeing to get it next week and frame it also. I don't care if Microsoft
    prints my credential on toilet paper, the fact is I achieve the requirement
    to be an MCP and I can backup with experience, any objective that I have
    learned in order to justify my MCP.

    The lapel pin and credit card. They are just forms of an identity. I don't
    need these things to show-off my MCP. What is more important is what my
    paycheck says and that the people I work with realise that I know what I am
    talking about. The rest is just Microsoft merchandise!

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, May 18, 2007
  11. RemoteShark noted:

    > The [MCP] lapel pin and credit card. They are just forms of an identity.

    After carying my MCP card around in my wallet for over a year, I finally got
    to use it. At one of the Microsoft booths at some conference or launch event
    (it may have been the Vista launch in San Francisco), anyone with an MCP ID
    card got a free T-shirt! It was black, and says "Is your network up today?
    You're welcome!"

    It may be really lame, but I thought it was cool to finally have a use for
    the card -- and to actually have mine on me at the time!

    (Shut up! I do TOO have a life!)
    (You should hear my family laugh at me about that shirt...)

    Michael D. Hensley, May 19, 2007
  12. Chachi schrieb:

    > I must say that I'm disappointed by the look of the certificate.

    Hi Cachi,

    don't ask about the physical quality of that certificate. Its only use
    is for applications, and there I use a B/W scan of it.

    But it gives you the right to print the MCDST logo on your letters and
    business cards. And this contains the official MS logo. Looks good,
    doesn't it, on your papers?

    Greetings from Heidelberg/Germany (and excuse my english)

    Alex

    --
    Too old to die young...

    Alexander Schloegl, May 19, 2007
  13. Chachi

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

    > RemoteShark noted:
    >
    >> The [MCP] lapel pin and credit card. They are just forms of an identity.

    > After carying my MCP card around in my wallet for over a year, I finally got
    > to use it. At one of the Microsoft booths at some conference or launch event
    > (it may have been the Vista launch in San Francisco), anyone with an MCP ID
    > card got a free T-shirt! It was black, and says "Is your network up today?
    > You're welcome!"

    I carry mine. It makes a great ice-scraper. I use my lapel pins as
    push pins on my bulletin board.

    catwalker63, May 19, 2007
  14. What your paycheck says? Do you expect it to now say RemoteShark, MCP as the
    payee? Or are you referring to money? An MCP is like the A+ of the Microsoft
    world...Really useless until you get something more. At least in my opinion.

    Michael Gossett, May 23, 2007
  15. Chachi

    RemoteShark Guest

    Of course its all about the money, whatelse are people studying towards or
    working for. Call the MCP what you like. Atleast, after 6 years at the place
    I work, I went from €19k to €35+k just after I passed my MCP (4/2007). I
    can't say I got it soley because of my MCP, but obviously I did something
    right. I am currently doing my CompTIA A+ to get that under my belt and who
    knows ...maybe the MCSA will be my next best step. Alot of what I learned was
    buy doing, I got my job with my experience rather than my education. The
    company saw that I was very capable and trusted me and I proved it. I was
    sick and tired for a long time about not having the paper credentials, so now
    I venture to continue so and as far as I possible can. Maybe one day, I will
    become the CEO of Microsoft. Hahahahaha NOT!. At least I can now afford to
    take my wife on some nice Holidays and buy some more IT study books, warcraft
    time-cards and nice new clothes as well as the rest of day to day bills.

    So yes, people work for money, not paper names & peanunts!

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, May 24, 2007