    voice-over-ip, can I recieve a call? what's my number?
    Thanks,sorry for my awful English
    3mR
    3mR, May 16, 2004

  2. 3mR

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <<G0ypc.193458$>> "3mR"
    <> did ramble:

    >I'm quite ignorant and so this can be a true elementar question: if i have a
    >24h connection (for example trough bi-directional sat connection) and a
    >voice-over-ip, can I recieve a call? what's my number?

    It depends on what you're doing. First of all, satellite connections
    typically have high latency, which makes VoIP painful to use, although
    still possible as long as you have enough available bandwidth (upsteam
    and downstream)

    Beyond that, if you want a PSTN number that anyone can dial, you will
    need to pay for service, something like Vonage is the easiest route to
    go, although it's certainly not the only option.

    --
    I see dumb people, walking around like regular people.
    They don't see each other. They only see what they
    DevilsPGD, May 16, 2004

  3. 3mR

    Psychomation Guest

    > Hi,
    > I'm quite ignorant and so this can be a true elementar question: if i have
    > a 24h connection (for example trough bi-directional sat connection) and a
    > voice-over-ip, can I recieve a call? what's my number?
    > Thanks,sorry for my awful English
    > 3mR

    As DevilsPGD points out, a satellite connection may not give usable
    results. But to add to your solutions, you could set up your own device on
    a normal phone line that you have control over, such as a family member's
    or colleague's home or office. There are various hardware devices that can
    then "convert" the analog phone call to a voIP call and forward this to
    you.

    A device called "Internet phone patch"

    http://pulverinnovations.com/ipp.html

    or the Sipura 3000

    http://www.sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm

    come to mind but I know there are also other devices that do this. The
    most common solution to the problem would be to setup asterisk on a linux
    machine at a point where there is a phone line and a high speed Internet
    connection. The initial cost of hardward for asterisk can be very low if
    you already have or can get a "spare" PC such as an "old" Pentium III
    600Mhz or better with 256Megs RAM or more. You would only need to add a
    card to connect the box to the phone, such as Digium's X100P.

    http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_x100p

    The "phone patch" devices are worth $130-$250.

    hth
    Psychomation, May 16, 2004
  4. 1.) The latency over satelite is much too high. You need a latency
    less than 100 ms for VoIP. Get another connection!

    2.) The easier and cheaper way to get a PSTN-number is a termination
    service like Nikotel, ...

    Juhura
    Juhura Nagamichi, May 16, 2004
  5. 3mR

    3mR Guest

    Thanks to everyone!!!
    3mR, May 16, 2004
  6. 3mR

    kuese Guest

    "3mR" <> wrote in message news:<xAPpc.196240$>...
    > Thanks to everyone!!!

    A lot of friends may reach you through the internet by calling your
    IP-Address or Domain-Name. The only what they need is a internet
    connection and a PC-Voip client. e.g. Netmeeting.
    As mentioned, for brakouts into a public switched telephony system you
    have to contact a local or international PSTN provider.

    kuese
    kuese, May 22, 2004