    have one XP Pro PC connected but expect to get one or two more eventually for
    a small home LAN.

    Thanks for the help, Steve.

    Steve, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Steve

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Steve <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > I will be installing Adelphia Power Link broadband soon and will be
    > using a Linksys BEFSR41 router in conjunction with BlackIce on the
    > host machine to keep intrusions under control. To round out this
    > strategy can anybody reccommend monitoring utilities that will keep me
    > aware of attempted attacks or other useful information relating to
    > online security? For now I will only have one XP Pro PC connected but
    > expect to get one or two more eventually for a small home LAN.
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Steve.

    Wallwatcher for the BEF model router. Wallwatcher is free. VisualIce is
    free or ClearIce is not free. I use all three. ClearIce on the Win 2k
    Server machine.

    Also helpful are Active Ports and PRCview and both are free.

    You should *harden* the XP O/S.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    The link I want to put here is redirecting me to this link. What can I
    say?

    http://www.eweek.com/category2/0,4148,1237860,00.asp

    http://www.sans.org/rr/paper.php?id=616

    You should read a little on the BI Server manual which gives more detail
    information on how the server and PC versions work.

    HTH

    Duane :)

    --
    The protection of the machine is a process and not a given!

    Duane Arnold, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Steve

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I will be installing Adelphia Power Link broadband soon and will be using a
    > Linksys BEFSR41 router in conjunction with BlackIce on the host machine to
    > keep intrusions under control. To round out this strategy can anybody
    > reccommend monitoring utilities that will keep me aware of attempted attacks
    > or other useful information relating to online security? For now I will only
    > have one XP Pro PC connected but expect to get one or two more eventually for
    > a small home LAN.
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Steve.

    Make sure that you ENABLE logs in the router and point them to a machine
    that runs WallWatcher all the time. WallWatcher can be downloaded for
    free from http://www.sonic.net/~sraaii/wallwatcher/Index.html

    Next, make sure you change the admin password in the router.

    Next, make sure that you install a GOOD anti-virus application and make
    sure that it fetches the updated at least once per day.

    Next, make sure that you do NOT forward ANY ports inbound through the
    router unless you know what you are doing.

    Make sure that you run WINDOWS UPDATE and install ALL patches they
    provide. While Windows Update only takes care of the Windows OS, you
    must also visit the MS Office site to download any MS Office security
    patches (and they made it real easy too).

    One thing that you can do, filter outbound 135~139 ports (tcp and udp) -
    there is no reason that those ports should ever leave your local
    network.

    If you are using external VPN's, make sure that you enable VPN and IPSEC
    passthrough in the router.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Sep 5, 2003