Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Lobster, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    I'm looking to replace our old current household system of 3 DECT phones
    with something a bit more up to date, which doesn't have stuck-down keys
    and will get SWMBO off my back! ;-) Thing is, technology has moved on a
    bit since I last looked and I haven't a clue what to go for. Any
    suggestions please?

    Requirements:
    - DECT cordless (3 handsets needed)
    - integral answering machine
    - Caller display
    - ?VOIP capability?

    (Not sure about the voip thing - I currently have a wireless broadband
    router and use voip comms occasionally via a softphone on the
    computer... is it feasible to have a separate DECT phone which will
    receive normal incoming calls via my ordinary landline, but if required
    will dial out via VOIP, independent of a computer? Would have to be
    totally easy and transparent to use, or SWMBO wouldn't go for it...)

    Thanks a lot
    David
    Lobster, Aug 7, 2008

  2. Lobster

    Christian Guest

    Christian, Aug 7, 2008

  3. In article <kgImk.186377$2>,
    Lobster <> wrote:
    >I'm looking to replace our old current household system of 3 DECT phones
    >with something a bit more up to date, which doesn't have stuck-down keys
    >and will get SWMBO off my back! ;-) Thing is, technology has moved on a
    >bit since I last looked and I haven't a clue what to go for. Any
    >suggestions please?
    >
    >Requirements:
    >- DECT cordless (3 handsets needed)
    >- integral answering machine
    >- Caller display
    >- ?VOIP capability?
    >
    >(Not sure about the voip thing - I currently have a wireless broadband
    >router and use voip comms occasionally via a softphone on the
    >computer... is it feasible to have a separate DECT phone which will
    >receive normal incoming calls via my ordinary landline, but if required
    >will dial out via VOIP, independent of a computer? Would have to be
    >totally easy and transparent to use, or SWMBO wouldn't go for it...)

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s685ip-dect-sip-phone-p-902.html

    The base station is *separate* from the handset, so the base station can
    be wired into your router, which will probably be close to your BT line
    too.

    More handssets:

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s68-dect-sip-phone-p-903.html

    While I've not used this particular unit, I have deployed many Siepems
    C460IP units and been quite happy with them (it's also what I have at
    home and it passes the swimbo test!)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Lobster

    Tim Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > I'm looking to replace our old current household system of 3 DECT phones
    > with something a bit more up to date, which doesn't have stuck-down keys
    > and will get SWMBO off my back! ;-) Thing is, technology has moved on a
    > bit since I last looked and I haven't a clue what to go for. Any
    > suggestions please?
    >
    > Requirements:
    > - DECT cordless (3 handsets needed)
    > - integral answering machine
    > - Caller display
    > - ?VOIP capability?

    You are looking for a Siemens C475IP or S685IP.

    Then 2 additional handset. Either C47 or S68.

    > (Not sure about the voip thing - I currently have a wireless broadband
    > router and use voip comms occasionally via a softphone on the
    > computer... is it feasible to have a separate DECT phone which will
    > receive normal incoming calls via my ordinary landline, but if required
    > will dial out via VOIP, independent of a computer? Would have to be
    > totally easy and transparent to use, or SWMBO wouldn't go for it...)

    The phone mentioned above have both normal phone and SIP (voip) calling
    in the same base.

    It is independent of your computer. It connects directly to your
    router. You just need to setup a SIP account on base. Use sipgate,
    gradwell, voipfone .....

    You can choose which `line` calls go out on.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 7, 2008
  5. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Me wrote:
    >> More handssets:
    >>
    >> http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s68-dect-sip-phone-p-903.html
    >>
    >> While I've not used this particular unit, I have deployed many Siepems
    >> C460IP units and been quite happy with them (it's also what I have at
    >> home and it passes the swimbo test!)

    > I have the S685's and they are very good. My only gripe is that
    > occasionally, caller ID does not work properly.

    Thanks all. That looks like a pretty unanimous vote for Siemens then!

    David
    Lobster, Aug 8, 2008
  6. Lobster

    Nick Guest

    Me wrote:
    >> More handssets:
    >>
    >> http://www.voipon.co.uk/siemens-s68-dect-sip-phone-p-903.html
    >>
    >> While I've not used this particular unit, I have deployed many Siepems
    >> C460IP units and been quite happy with them (it's also what I have at
    >> home and it passes the swimbo test!)

    > I have the S685's and they are very good. My only gripe is that
    > occasionally, caller ID does not work properly.

    Only had my S685IP a few days. I'm very impressed with both VoIP and
    PSTN quality, hugely better than a SPA-3102.

    I have noticed a single Caller ID failure, presumably this is a firmware
    bug? Do Siemens do firmware updates?
    Nick, Aug 9, 2008
  7. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Re: Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone - Siemens S685?

    Christian wrote:
    > Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your requirements...
    > http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
    > Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or VOIP-line
    > (account) of choice, etc, etc...

    Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone please?:

    1. I've read here:
    <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
    "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what that's
    saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also read on
    Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets, surely all three
    will give me full functionality won't they? Or not...?

    2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a new
    Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip capability but
    would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line calls? (I'm just
    considering that the last of my three required handsets doesn't get used
    much, and I could save by buying two rather than three Gigaset handsets
    - one of my old dect phones is still in perfectly OK order)

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, Aug 9, 2008
  8. Lobster

    Nick Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > Christian wrote:
    >> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your
    >> requirements...
    >> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
    >> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or
    >> VOIP-line (account) of choice, etc, etc...

    > Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone please?:
    >
    > 1. I've read here:
    > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
    > "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what that's
    > saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also read on
    > Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets, surely all three
    > will give me full functionality won't they? Or not...?

    I think it just means you can use both VoIP and PSTN from any of the
    handsets. All handsets seem to give full functionality in this respect.

    > 2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a new
    > Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip capability but
    > would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line calls? (I'm just
    > considering that the last of my three required handsets doesn't get used
    > much, and I could save by buying two rather than three Gigaset handsets
    > - one of my old dect phones is still in perfectly OK order)

    Yes you can if the old handset is GAP compatible. You can also make VoIP
    or PSTN lines from the old handset. VoIP is the default but you can use
    PSTN if you hold down the dial key for longer on the S68H or add * after
    the number on an old dect handset.

    I use 4 old handsets and only 1 Siemens S68H handset.

    Nick, Aug 9, 2008
  9. Lobster

    Nick wrote:
    > Lobster wrote:
    >> Christian wrote:
    >>> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your
    >>> requirements...
    >>> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
    >>> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or
    >>> VOIP-line (account) of choice, etc, etc...

    >> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
    >> please?:

    >> 2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a
    >> new Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip capability
    >> but would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line calls? (I'm
    >> just considering that the last of my three required handsets doesn't
    >> get used much, and I could save by buying two rather than three
    >> Gigaset handsets - one of my old dect phones is still in perfectly OK
    >> order)
    >>

    > Yes you can if the old handset is GAP compatible. You can also make VoIP
    > or PSTN lines from the old handset. VoIP is the default but you can use
    > PSTN if you hold down the dial key for longer on the S68H or add * after
    > the number on an old dect handset.

    Now *that* is good news on several levels. I'd assumed I'd need to try
    and train SWMBO to select VOIP on a per-call basis - defaulting is much
    better!

    > I use 4 old handsets and only 1 Siemens S68H handset.

    I might well do likewise - at least, it's got to be worth buying a
    single phone to start with rather than a multipack.

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, Aug 9, 2008
  10. Lobster

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:10:52 UTC, Nick <> wrote:

    > Only had my S685IP a few days. I'm very impressed with both VoIP and
    > PSTN quality, hugely better than a SPA-3102.
    >
    > I have noticed a single Caller ID failure, presumably this is a firmware
    > bug? Do Siemens do firmware updates?

    Yes, my S450IP tells me there is an upgrade or, on this system, you
    can check if there are any from the handset or the web interface to
    the base.

    HTH

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Aug 9, 2008
  11. Lobster

    Christian Guest

    Re: Reccommended DECT / VOIP phone - Siemens S685?

    > Now *that* is good news on several levels. I'd assumed I'd need to
    > try and train SWMBO to select VOIP on a per-call basis - defaulting
    > is much better!

    There's actually even a possibility to enter dialling rules: e.g. dial all
    number starting with "123" on VOIP-provider X, "456" via VOIP-provider Y,
    "789" via landline, etc...

    Christian
    Christian, Aug 9, 2008
  12. Lobster

    Roger Mills Guest

    Me <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:13:50 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Christian wrote:
    >>> Sounds like the Siemens VOIP/DECT-phones would meet all your
    >>> requirements...
    >>> http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
    >>> Voip, Landline, up to 6 handsets, dialing out on the landline or
    >>> VOIP-line (account) of choice, etc, etc...

    >> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
    >> please?:
    >>
    >> 1. I've read here:
    >> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
    >> "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what
    >> that's saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also
    >> read on Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets,
    >> surely all three will give me full functionality won't they? Or
    >> not...?

    > As an owner of the 685s I can tell you that you can have 1 PSTN call
    > and 2 VOIP calls all at the same time.
    >
    > You can enter up to 6 SIP accounts onto the system plus Siemens own
    > VOIP offering called Gigaset.
    >
    > You can decide, from the web interface, which phones ring when a
    > landline of SIP call is received and you can also decide which
    > accounts use the answerphone and which don't.
    >
    > I can also confirm you can have rules that either block outgoing calls
    > or allow you to choose which calls go where. For example, I have any
    > number beginning with 00 going out on one of my SIP accounts. My place
    > of work also has a VOIP system so as I work from home some of the
    > time, I have programmed my house phones to dial out on my office SIP
    > account if the number dialled begins with 40 or 41 (office extensions
    > being from 4000 to 4199)
    >
    > If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    >
    > Me

    Sounds wonderful! No-one has mentioned a price yet - what do these things
    cost?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Aug 10, 2008
  13. Lobster

    Roger Mills wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Me <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:13:50 +0100, Lobster
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
    >>> please?:
    >>>
    >>> 1. I've read here:
    >>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/SIEMENS-GIGASET-S685-PHONE-S685IP/dp/B0017TQF8O/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1>
    >>> "Internet and Landline Calls from 1 Handset" - I'm not sure what
    >>> that's saying, or even if it's actually accurate from what I've also
    >>> read on Siemens' own site. If I have three of these handsets,
    >>> surely all three will give me full functionality won't they? Or
    >>> not...?

    >> As an owner of the 685s I can tell you that you can have 1 PSTN call
    >> and 2 VOIP calls all at the same time.
    >>
    >> You can enter up to 6 SIP accounts onto the system plus Siemens own
    >> VOIP offering called Gigaset.
    >>
    >> You can decide, from the web interface, which phones ring when a
    >> landline of SIP call is received and you can also decide which
    >> accounts use the answerphone and which don't.
    >>
    >> I can also confirm you can have rules that either block outgoing calls
    >> or allow you to choose which calls go where. For example, I have any
    >> number beginning with 00 going out on one of my SIP accounts. My place
    >> of work also has a VOIP system so as I work from home some of the
    >> time, I have programmed my house phones to dial out on my office SIP
    >> account if the number dialled begins with 40 or 41 (office extensions
    >> being from 4000 to 4199)
    >>
    >> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

    Thanks for that - watch this space as I went ahead and ordered one: no
    doubt I'll soon have queries shortly of the
    'how-the-hell-do-you-do-this' variety ;-)

    > Sounds wonderful! No-one has mentioned a price yet - what do these things
    > cost?

    100 squids delivered for the single-handset model. Have to say it will
    take a long time to recoup the cost based on my own calling patterns -
    it was really all the features which sold it to me.

    David
    Lobster, Aug 10, 2008
  14. Lobster

    TheFug Guest

    Lobster schreef:
    > Nick wrote:
    >> Lobster wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for the advice. Couple of follow-up q's on this phone
    >>> please?:

    >>> 2. Would it be possible to register one of my old dect phones with a
    >>> new Gigaset system? Obviously I know it wouldn't have voip
    >>> capability but would it be possible to make and receive fixed-line
    >>> calls? (I'm just considering that the last of my three required
    >>> handsets doesn't get used much, and I could save by buying two rather
    >>> than three Gigaset handsets - one of my old dect phones is still in
    >>> perfectly OK order)
    >>>

    >> Yes you can if the old handset is GAP compatible. You can also make VoIP
    >> or PSTN lines from the old handset. VoIP is the default but you can
    >> use PSTN if you hold down the dial key for longer on the S68H or add *
    >> after the number on an old dect handset.

    > Now *that* is good news on several levels. I'd assumed I'd need to try
    > and train SWMBO to select VOIP on a per-call basis - defaulting is much
    > better!
    >
    >> I use 4 old handsets and only 1 Siemens S68H handset.

    > I might well do likewise - at least, it's got to be worth buying a
    > single phone to start with rather than a multipack.
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    You must keep in mind, you have full functionality, if you buy: C450IP
    set, with a C45 separate handset.
    Better buy one of the newer types: S470IP you can register more VSP's
    and make a dialplan in the set itself.

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    TheFug, Aug 10, 2008
  15. Lobster

    Lobster wrote:
    > Roger Mills wrote:
    >> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >> Me <> wrote:

    >>> As an owner of the 685s I can tell you that you can have 1 PSTN call
    >>> and 2 VOIP calls all at the same time.
    >>>
    >>> You can enter up to 6 SIP accounts onto the system plus Siemens own
    >>> VOIP offering called Gigaset.
    >>>
    >>> You can decide, from the web interface, which phones ring when a
    >>> landline of SIP call is received and you can also decide which
    >>> accounts use the answerphone and which don't.
    >>>
    >>> I can also confirm you can have rules that either block outgoing calls
    >>> or allow you to choose which calls go where. For example, I have any
    >>> number beginning with 00 going out on one of my SIP accounts. My place
    >>> of work also has a VOIP system so as I work from home some of the
    >>> time, I have programmed my house phones to dial out on my office SIP
    >>> account if the number dialled begins with 40 or 41 (office extensions
    >>> being from 4000 to 4199)
    >>>
    >>> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

    > Thanks for that - watch this space as I went ahead and ordered one: no
    > doubt I'll soon have queries shortly of the
    > 'how-the-hell-do-you-do-this' variety ;-)

    I'm back! as predicted :-(

    I've now got my S685IP system but am having a helluva game getting it
    set up with VOIP. I already have a Sipgate account which I've used for
    some time with a softphone on my laptop when travelling; however I can't
    get my new S685IP to recognise it. I've entered my Sipgate account
    details in to the phone (tried both directly and via the web interface),
    but it just comes back with "Registration failed" and I can't figure out
    why.

    I'm connecting via a Linksys WRT54G router; is there anything I need to
    tweak with this to achieve success? IIRC I did have issues in the past
    with this model about something to do with Plug and Play - could that be
    related? Presumably I'm 'getting through' to the internet as I keep
    getting weather forecasts for spurious cities on the phone's display...

    This may be something very basic, but it's beyond my limited knowledge
    of voipy stuff. Any advice appreciated.

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, Aug 17, 2008
  16. Lobster

    Me <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:01:35 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >I'm back! as predicted :-(
    > >
    > >I've now got my S685IP system but am having a helluva game getting it
    > >set up with VOIP. I already have a Sipgate account which I've used for
    > >some time with a softphone on my laptop when travelling; however I can't
    > >get my new S685IP to recognise it. I've entered my Sipgate account
    > >details in to the phone (tried both directly and via the web interface),
    > >but it just comes back with "Registration failed" and I can't figure out
    > >why.
    > >
    > >I'm connecting via a Linksys WRT54G router; is there anything I need to
    > >tweak with this to achieve success? IIRC I did have issues in the past
    > >with this model about something to do with Plug and Play - could that be
    > >related? Presumably I'm 'getting through' to the internet as I keep
    > >getting weather forecasts for spurious cities on the phone's display...
    > >
    > >This may be something very basic, but it's beyond my limited knowledge
    > >of voipy stuff. Any advice appreciated.
    > >

    > I have used 3 different routers and none of them presented me with any
    > VOIP issues.
    >
    > I use a couple of Sipgate accounts. I always set them from the web
    > interface and they both work fine. I have not opened any SIP ports on
    > any of the routers either. I just enter the username, password and the
    > SIP server. I am not sure what else I can say - except I guess it must
    > be a router issue - so I would try and open SIP port 5060 and forward
    > it to the IP of the Siemens

    I too have Siemens DECT phones and I too have a Sipgate VOIP account
    set up on them which 'just worked' once I had put the user name and
    password in.

    I seem to remember I was confused by the Web interface asking for an
    "Authentication Name" *and* a "Username". I put my Sipgate user name
    into both these fields and it works, I'm not sure if it needs both.

    > I set the weather for my home town which is marginally more helpful that
    > the cities that are displayed by default!

    Ditto, but the weather display is pretty pointless IMHO.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Aug 18, 2008
  17. Lobster

    Me wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:01:35 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> I'm back! as predicted :-(
    >>
    >> I've now got my S685IP system but am having a helluva game getting it
    >> set up with VOIP. I already have a Sipgate account which I've used for
    >> some time with a softphone on my laptop when travelling; however I can't
    >> get my new S685IP to recognise it. I've entered my Sipgate account
    >> details in to the phone (tried both directly and via the web interface),
    >> but it just comes back with "Registration failed" and I can't figure out
    >> why.
    >>
    >> I'm connecting via a Linksys WRT54G router; is there anything I need to
    >> tweak with this to achieve success? IIRC I did have issues in the past
    >> with this model about something to do with Plug and Play - could that be
    >> related? Presumably I'm 'getting through' to the internet as I keep
    >> getting weather forecasts for spurious cities on the phone's display...
    >>
    >> This may be something very basic, but it's beyond my limited knowledge
    >> of voipy stuff. Any advice appreciated.

    > I use a couple of Sipgate accounts. I always set them from the web
    > interface and they both work fine. I have not opened any SIP ports on
    > any of the routers either. I just enter the username, password and the
    > SIP server. I am not sure what else I can say - except I guess it must
    > be a router issue - so I would try and open SIP port 5060 and forward
    > it to the IP of the Siemens

    Thanks a lot, Me - opening port 5060 on the router seems to have done
    the trick!

    Still having a lot of issues getting it all working properly; seems a
    pretty steep learning curve and it's taking forever to set up. I don't
    want to keep coming back here bleating every time I hit a wall so am
    trying to work things out for myself. Spent most of yesterday evening
    trying to get my PC Outlook contacts uploaded and synchronised with the
    handset - unsuccessfuly but did make some progress! I'm sure I'll be
    back...

    David
    Lobster, Aug 19, 2008
  18. Lobster

    Guest

    Me <> wrote:

    > >The main advantage is that as well as the good IP stufff, it effectively
    > >gives you a two line DECT phone and nobody sells them...
    > >

    > In the case of the 685, it is effectively a 3 line system as you can
    > have 1 PSTN and two VOIP calls simultaneously.

    Yes, it still surprises me (and confuses other people) when I can find
    a lost phone by phoning from one of the other phones! It does confuse
    the phones a little too, they don't seem to be able to cope with a
    missed call from themselves. (OK, I could find the lost phone by
    making an internal call but that never occurs to me first time around)

    --
    Chris Green
    , Aug 19, 2008
  19. Lobster

    Tim Guest

    R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    > The main advantage is that as well as the good IP stufff, it effectively
    > gives you a two line DECT phone and nobody sells them...

    Nobody sells them?

    The C460IP is discontinued now. Replaced by C475IP.

    There will soon be an A580IP, which is a closer replacement (cost wise)
    to the C460IP.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 31, 2008
  20. Lobster

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:08:39 UTC, Tim <> wrote:

    > R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    > > The main advantage is that as well as the good IP stufff, it effectively
    > > gives you a two line DECT phone and nobody sells them...
    > >

    > Nobody sells them?

    I think he meant nobody sells two line DECT phones :)
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Sep 1, 2008