    question for another ten years at least !!!!
    Thanks in advance

    John
    Hush-up!!, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Hush-up!!

    Dagger Guest

    Depends on what you want to spend.
    Here is what I did. I found a computer geek and store and had them build me
    the best I could afford
    That way I dont have to put up with all the propriatory crap
    Saved a bunch over retail, cause you can negotiate everything
    DCD

    "Hush-up!!" <> wrote in message
    > Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
    > Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
    > Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling stuff -

    so
    > I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to send
    > out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always sending
    > Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters.... Google
    > ...I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
    > almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
    > recommendations.... Budget is probably £1500 - I dont need a scanner or
    > printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping on

    top
    > of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out of

    the

    Dagger, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Hush-up!!

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    I bought a one from Mesh 3 years ago and it has performed fault free.

    http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/index.htm

    They cater from starter systems to Wow! look at that ones!

    They now do 3yrs on-site warranty for another £69.

    One of their latest "Dream" machines can be seen here

    http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/review_feb04_mat643200ejoy.htm

    CJ

    CJ, Jan 7, 2004
  4. > Could anyone recommend a new computer ?

    Do you want something that's a complete package or something to assemble
    yourself?

    > Is there such a thing as a Ferrari of computers ?

    Yes, but they are very expensive.

    http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    http://www.apple.com/ilife/itunes/

    http://www.openoffice.org/

    > Flat screen would be nice

    http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

    If you want to assemble your own system, just find a local dealer and
    get a basic system with a motherboard, memory, and power supply. You
    can add the other hardware yourself, and then get a Linux distribution
    installed:

    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/
    Alexander Rogge, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Hush-up!!

    Martik Guest

    For what you describe all you need is a basic PC. Athlon 2100+, 256mb ram,
    80GB WD JB (3yr warranty), MSI K7N2GM-L M/B with graphics, CDRW and a
    17" flat screen should cost no more than $600US.

    I would go for the Linux solution too but dual boot with windows until you
    are comfortable with it.

    If you want the so-called Rolls Royce look at apple.com but you will pay
    at least triple for less performance.
    Martik, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Hush-up!!

    Budweiser Guest

    "Hush-up!!" <> wrote in message
    > Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
    > Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
    > Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling stuff -

    so
    > I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to send
    > out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always sending
    > Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters.... Google
    > ...I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
    > almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
    > recommendations.... Budget is probably £1500 - I dont need a scanner or
    > printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping on

    top
    > of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out of

    the
    > question for another ten years at least !!!!
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > John

    not sure how you will take this

    you type abit and surf and play a few music cd
    what is wrong with your current machine? i doubt anything could be done to
    improve your experience

    from your description --get a larger drive and a good sound card plus some
    decent speakers
    maybe add some memory
    writing letters can only be improved with typing skills
    sending mail can only improve with a better connection
    best bet is go to "boxes-r-us" and get a mid price new machine if you
    percieve a new box will improve your life
    just my0.2
    Budweiser, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Hush-up!!

    Ski Guest

    >Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
    >Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?

    IMO, in order...the first 2, if ya gotta ask how much, you can't afford it...

    1. www.voodoopc.com

    2. www.falcon-nw.com

    3. www.Alienware.com

    Talking to Dell about a high end computer is like talking to Kia about a
    Formula 1 ride...LOL!

    Ski
    "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    is to go there"
    (remove spleen to e-mail)
    Ski, Jan 8, 2004
  8. You can put together a Dell computer on their website.

    Cathy (has a Dell)

    ("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 8, 2004
  9. Hush-up!!

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:11:51 +0000 (UTC), "Hush-up!!" <> wrote:

    |>Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
    |>Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?

    Top of the line internet/networking system is a Sun Sparc WorkStation.
    Building one starts here: http://www.sun.com/processors/index.html

    |> Budget is probably ?1500 -

    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    Trax, Jan 8, 2004
  10. > Top of the line internet/networking system is a Sun Sparc WorkStation.

    PHB: "Why does it cost more than those Dell units that are supported by
    the help desk?"
    Alexander Rogge, Jan 8, 2004
  11. Hush-up!!

    Annika J Guest

    "Ski" <> wrote in message
    > >Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
    > >Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?

    > IMO, in order...the first 2, if ya gotta ask how much, you can't afford

    it...

    > 1. www.voodoopc.com
    >
    > 2. www.falcon-nw.com
    >
    > 3. www.Alienware.com
    >
    > Talking to Dell about a high end computer is like talking to Kia about a
    > Formula 1 ride...LOL!
    >

    > Ski
    > "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    > is to go there"
    > (remove spleen to e-mail)

    I've always heard good things about dell computers.
    Annika J, Jan 8, 2004