    bullshitting.

    thanx
    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Russell Smithies

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:02:30 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:

    > I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
    > availible in NZ because of a recall.
    > This sounds a bit odd,
    > Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
    > bullshitting.

    Well relatively minor issues with Powerbooks are front page news on
    Slashdot, Ars Technica etc. I haven't seen anything about iBooks anywhere,
    so it does sound a bit dodgy. A recall would be very big news in
    comparison.

    Are these with the new G4 iBooks?

    I'm thinking about getting one myself (it would be my first Mac), and have
    noticed they haven't yet turned up on Magnum Macs website even though the
    new Powerbooks only took a day or two to appear. I did spot them here
    http://www.mac-line.co.nz/ , but haven't checked whether they actually
    have any in stock.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 6, 2003

  3. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:02:30 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:
    >
    > > I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
    > > availible in NZ because of a recall.
    > > This sounds a bit odd,
    > > Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
    > > bullshitting.

    > Well relatively minor issues with Powerbooks are front page news on
    > Slashdot, Ars Technica etc. I haven't seen anything about iBooks anywhere,
    > so it does sound a bit dodgy. A recall would be very big news in
    > comparison.
    >
    > Are these with the new G4 iBooks?
    >
    > I'm thinking about getting one myself (it would be my first Mac), and have
    > noticed they haven't yet turned up on Magnum Macs website even though the
    > new Powerbooks only took a day or two to appear. I did spot them here
    > http://www.mac-line.co.nz/ , but haven't checked whether they actually
    > have any in stock.

    I bought mine when the 900Mhz model had just been released. It took
    about 1 1/2 weeks to get here, and I've noticed Magnum Mac doesn't
    update their website that frequently. Here is a couple of other Kiwi
    websites to check out for Mac products:
    http://www.totallymac.com/
    http://www.macwarehouse.co.nz/

    My advice as a recent iBook owner?
    This was my first Mac and I absolutely love it, the only thing I would
    change is that I should have gone for the 12" Powerbook instead. The
    extra power would be better for me and OS X (stick as much RAM into it
    as you can afford) - but this may have been resolved with the new G4
    iBooks.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Russell Smithies

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    madknoxie <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:02:30 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
    > > > availible in NZ because of a recall.
    > > > This sounds a bit odd,
    > > > Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
    > > > bullshitting.

    > > Well relatively minor issues with Powerbooks are front page news on
    > > Slashdot, Ars Technica etc. I haven't seen anything about iBooks anywhere,
    > > so it does sound a bit dodgy. A recall would be very big news in
    > > comparison.
    > >
    > > Are these with the new G4 iBooks?
    > >
    > > I'm thinking about getting one myself (it would be my first Mac), and have
    > > noticed they haven't yet turned up on Magnum Macs website even though the
    > > new Powerbooks only took a day or two to appear. I did spot them here
    > > http://www.mac-line.co.nz/ , but haven't checked whether they actually
    > > have any in stock.

    > I bought mine when the 900Mhz model had just been released. It took
    > about 1 1/2 weeks to get here, and I've noticed Magnum Mac doesn't
    > update their website that frequently. Here is a couple of other Kiwi
    > websites to check out for Mac products:
    > http://www.totallymac.com/
    > http://www.macwarehouse.co.nz/
    >
    > My advice as a recent iBook owner?
    > This was my first Mac and I absolutely love it, the only thing I would
    > change is that I should have gone for the 12" Powerbook instead. The
    > extra power would be better for me and OS X (stick as much RAM into it
    > as you can afford) - but this may have been resolved with the new G4
    > iBooks.

    No, I think he's mixing one event with another.

    It's quite common to see an end to stock shortly before new stock is
    announced. The 15" PowerBooks dwindled completely and then, sure enough,
    Apple announced new PowerBooks. In fact, it's issues with these
    PowerBooks that your friend is probably talking about.

    With regards the G4 iBook, I think that there is none available because
    once again it was dwindling in numbers, and then Apple announced the G4
    iBooks. As far as I'm aware, none of those have come into the country
    yet, so they can't be in the process of being recalled.

    A good site for issues is http://www.macfixit.com

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Russell Smithies

    Piz0r dud3 Guest

    Why would a salesperson lie and say bad things about his own products?

    Piz0r dud3, Nov 6, 2003
  6. In article <fZhqb.9957$>,
    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:

    > I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
    > availible in NZ because of a recall.
    > This sounds a bit odd,
    > Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
    > bullshitting.

    Hi,

    This is NOT true..

    The New G4 iBooks have not been available due to the fact they are a new
    product, and stock has not arrived here yet.. But..

    Tomorrow morning we will have heaps of the entry level (800Mhz G4) model
    arriving..

    Regards
    Daniel
    Totally Mac
    http://www.totallymac.com
    Daniel Parker, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Russell Smithies

    Peter KERR Guest

    Daniel Parker <> claimed:

    > The New G4 iBooks have not been available due to the fact they are a new
    > product, and stock has not arrived here yet.. But..
    >
    > Tomorrow morning we will have heaps of the entry level (800Mhz G4) model
    > arriving..

    lucky you ;-)

    Situation used to be that NZ resellers were on the daggy end of a long
    supply line via Apple Australia, and all Oz resellers got statisfied
    before NZ. This meant if there were any returned faulty units in Oz,
    they got new replacements and the refurbished ones eventually ended up
    here. I heard that this situation was supposed to be cleaned up, and the
    speedy arrival of crisp fresh G5s suggest maybe it has...
    Peter KERR, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Peter KERR wrote:

    > Situation used to be that NZ resellers were on the daggy end of a long
    > supply line via Apple Australia, and all Oz resellers got statisfied
    > before NZ. This meant if there were any returned faulty units in Oz,
    > they got new replacements and the refurbished ones eventually ended up
    > here. I heard that this situation was supposed to be cleaned up, and the
    > speedy arrival of crisp fresh G5s suggest maybe it has...

    When did this stop? I'm wondering if my iBook is a refurbished one. It's
    just comming up to six months old, and it's been repaired twice in that
    time for the screen not going. That's more than 3 weeks I've been
    without it since I got it, and I've had to pay freight costs both times
    as well.

    I hope if the power adapter goes it's before the warranty's up. My
    sister had the end of hers repaired (frayed wire on the bit that plugs
    into the computer), and it cost $65 plus GST (they only cost about $200
    plus GST to buy). Let that be a warning, don't let Apple fix something
    like that if someone else could.
    I'm a Trampoline, Nov 7, 2003