    Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    gone....as am I.

    Bye....

    Ian B, Nov 5, 2008

  2. On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:08:48 -0000, "Ian B" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    >when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    >ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    >to enjoy.
    >
    >I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near the
    >quality of most on this site.....
    >
    >Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    >gone....as am I.
    >
    >Bye....

    If you think those are photos that are worth viewing ...

    As they say ...

    Don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out!

    Now maybe this newsgroup might get some people with which photography might be
    worth discussing. Those who know good photography from CRAP.

    clarke fenton, Nov 5, 2008

  3. Ian B

    Fred Guest

    "Ian B" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    > when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    > ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    > to enjoy.
    >
    > I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near
    > the quality of most on this site.....
    >
    > Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    > gone....as am I.
    >
    > Bye....

    Yes this group should really be called rec.photo.digitalslr, because if you
    make the fatal mistake of admitting that you own a P&S camera, or link to
    any photos from same, the likelihood is that you'll get shot down in flames
    by some of the self-righteous DSLR types on here, who think they have a God
    given right to pour scorn from their ivory towers on anyone who dare to have
    the temerity to suggest that P&S cameras may have any merits at all.

    It does get rather wearisome in here listening to the constant droning from
    these bores who are still stuck in the 20th century.

    Any thread that dares to compare P&S and DSLRs is immediately pounced upon
    by a few of these holier than thou types, who insist on inflating their
    flacid egos by having a dig at non-DSLR users.

    I sometimes wonder whether these sad people actually take any photographs at
    all, or merely post on here to inflate their grandiose opinion of
    themselves, by sniping at people who are out there every day actually using
    their cameras, rather than having to leave them at home because it's just
    too much trouble lugging that heavy camera bag around everywhere.

    Fred, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Ian B

    Ian B Guest

    "clarke fenton" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:08:48 -0000, "Ian B" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    >>when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    >>ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    >>to enjoy.
    >>
    >>I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near
    >>the
    >>quality of most on this site.....
    >>
    >>Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    >>gone....as am I.
    >>
    >>Bye....
    >>

    > If you think those are photos that are worth viewing ...
    >
    > As they say ...
    >
    > Don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out!
    >
    > Now maybe this newsgroup might get some people with which photography
    > might be
    > worth discussing. Those who know good photography from CRAP.

    Thats the trouble, you don't discuss anything, you just bitch about it,
    can't say I've seen anything worth rembering from you.....

    Ian B, Nov 5, 2008
  5. Ian B

    Fred Guest

    > If you think those are photos that are worth viewing ...
    >
    > As they say ...
    >
    > Don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out!
    >
    > Now maybe this newsgroup might get some people with which photography
    > might be
    > worth discussing. Those who know good photography from CRAP.

    That little diatribe very neatly sums up the decline of this group - well
    summed up!

    Fred, Nov 5, 2008
  6. Ian B

    B?wser Guest

    "Ian B" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    > when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    > ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    > to enjoy.

    Well, maybe. Rita's stuff is usually pretty bad, but the trick is to just
    ignore it.

    > I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near
    > the quality of most on this site.....

    Nobody cares what you use. Post the pics! If you get the results you want
    using a pinhole camera, great!

    > Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    > gone....as am I.

    OK, but you should have posted the pics first. Why not?

    B?wser, Nov 5, 2008
  7. Ian B

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Ian B wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    > when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    > ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    > to enjoy.
    >
    > I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near the
    > quality of most on this site.....
    >
    > Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    > gone....as am I.
    >
    > Bye....

    This is nothing new. I have been subscribing to rpd on and off for about
    eight years or so. There are times when group got really bad and I
    would take a sabbatical for a few months. I don't think it is as bad now
    as at its really low points when I'd check out for awhile. There was
    some really childish stuff going on.

    The spam attacks this summer were really bad, but even those are less now.

    Don Stauffer, Nov 5, 2008
  8. Ian B

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Fred wrote:
    ..

    > Yes this group should really be called rec.photo.digitalslr, because if you
    > make the fatal mistake of admitting that you own a P&S camera, or link to
    > any photos from same, the likelihood is that you'll get shot down in flames
    > by some of the self-righteous DSLR types on here, who think they have a God
    > given right to pour scorn from their ivory towers on anyone who dare to have
    > the temerity to suggest that P&S cameras may have any merits at all.

    Well, we have two DSLRs and a digital P & S. We see the need for both.
    Just like in film days, most people I knew had more than one camera.
    And the debate between SLRs and rangefinders went on for many years.

    Or, the arguments between 35mm and 2 and a quarter format.

    There, of course is even the scorn of those who have a $5,000 DSLR for
    those who only have a $500 DSLR :) See, look at me, I'm rich- I can
    afford all that expensive stuff. You're poor- a peon. Oh, and a tripod
    costing less than $400 bucks is worthless, etc.

    Don Stauffer, Nov 5, 2008
  9. Ian B

    Sheila Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "Ian B" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    >> when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    >> ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    >> to enjoy.
    >>
    >> I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near
    >> the quality of most on this site.....
    >>
    >> Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    >> gone....as am I.
    >>
    >> Bye....
    >>

    > Yes this group should really be called rec.photo.digitalslr, because if you
    > make the fatal mistake of admitting that you own a P&S camera, or link to
    > any photos from same, the likelihood is that you'll get shot down in flames
    > by some of the self-righteous DSLR types on here, who think they have a God
    > given right to pour scorn from their ivory towers on anyone who dare to have
    > the temerity to suggest that P&S cameras may have any merits at all.
    >
    > It does get rather wearisome in here listening to the constant droning from
    > these bores who are still stuck in the 20th century.
    >
    > Any thread that dares to compare P&S and DSLRs is immediately pounced upon
    > by a few of these holier than thou types, who insist on inflating their
    > flacid egos by having a dig at non-DSLR users.
    >
    > I sometimes wonder whether these sad people actually take any photographs at
    > all, or merely post on here to inflate their grandiose opinion of
    > themselves, by sniping at people who are out there every day actually using
    > their cameras, rather than having to leave them at home because it's just
    > too much trouble lugging that heavy camera bag around everywhere.

    What's really interesting about this group is the loyalty that user's
    have to either Nikon or Canon. It happens off the net too. My husband
    and I were in Best Buy looking at different cameras and I made a comment
    about the Canon 40D, I said it gets good ratings and the photos that
    people have posted on another newsgroup from the camera were really
    nice. Another guy commented that he had a 40D and really liked it. When
    I commented that we hadn't used any Canons but had Nikons, he said that
    'he couldn't talk to us'. Personally, I think both Nikon and Canon are
    good.

    --
    Sheila
    http://swdalton.com

    Sheila, Nov 5, 2008
  10. Ian B

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:58:30 -0500, Sheila <>
    wrote:

    >What's really interesting about this group is the loyalty that user's
    >have to either Nikon or Canon. It happens off the net too. My husband
    >and I were in Best Buy looking at different cameras and I made a comment
    >about the Canon 40D, I said it gets good ratings and the photos that
    >people have posted on another newsgroup from the camera were really
    >nice. Another guy commented that he had a 40D and really liked it. When
    >I commented that we hadn't used any Canons but had Nikons, he said that
    >'he couldn't talk to us'. Personally, I think both Nikon and Canon are
    >good.

    I was shooting yesterday at a county fair and some guy noticed my
    camera and said approvingly "Good to see another Nikon user".

    I was tempted to look at his shoes and say "Good to see another Nike
    wearer", or his pants and say "Good to see another Wrangler wearer".
    I wasn't tempted to see if we both wore Hanes underwear, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 5, 2008
  11. Ian B

    Sheila Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:58:30 -0500, Sheila <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What's really interesting about this group is the loyalty that user's
    >> have to either Nikon or Canon. It happens off the net too. My husband
    >> and I were in Best Buy looking at different cameras and I made a comment
    >> about the Canon 40D, I said it gets good ratings and the photos that
    >> people have posted on another newsgroup from the camera were really
    >> nice. Another guy commented that he had a 40D and really liked it. When
    >> I commented that we hadn't used any Canons but had Nikons, he said that
    >> 'he couldn't talk to us'. Personally, I think both Nikon and Canon are
    >> good.

    > I was shooting yesterday at a county fair and some guy noticed my
    > camera and said approvingly "Good to see another Nikon user".
    >
    > I was tempted to look at his shoes and say "Good to see another Nike
    > wearer", or his pants and say "Good to see another Wrangler wearer".
    > I wasn't tempted to see if we both wore Hanes underwear, though.

    So, what did you say to him?

    --
    Sheila
    http://swdalton.com

    Sheila, Nov 5, 2008
  12. Ian B

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:59:05 -0500, Sheila <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:58:30 -0500, Sheila <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's really interesting about this group is the loyalty that user's
    >>> have to either Nikon or Canon. It happens off the net too. My husband
    >>> and I were in Best Buy looking at different cameras and I made a comment
    >>> about the Canon 40D, I said it gets good ratings and the photos that
    >>> people have posted on another newsgroup from the camera were really
    >>> nice. Another guy commented that he had a 40D and really liked it. When
    >>> I commented that we hadn't used any Canons but had Nikons, he said that
    >>> 'he couldn't talk to us'. Personally, I think both Nikon and Canon are
    >>> good.

    >> I was shooting yesterday at a county fair and some guy noticed my
    >> camera and said approvingly "Good to see another Nikon user".
    >>
    >> I was tempted to look at his shoes and say "Good to see another Nike
    >> wearer", or his pants and say "Good to see another Wrangler wearer".
    >> I wasn't tempted to see if we both wore Hanes underwear, though.

    >So, what did you say to him?

    "You're blocking my light."

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 5, 2008
  13. Ian B

    Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:08:48 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Ian B"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have 'lurked' around this newsgroup for a couple of years now, time was
    >when it was really enjoyable looking at the photos of pro's, semi-pros and
    >ameuters alike. Names like Annika, Rita Berkowitz etc posted great photos
    >to enjoy.

    But that's not the main point of the r.p.d.* groups.

    >I only have a P&S, never dared to post anything as mine are nowhere near the
    >quality of most on this site.....

    Then you never were able to get any help to improve either.

    >Sadly, all I ever see now is arguments and back biting - all the fun has
    >gone....as am I.

    However, did you ever think you were part of the problem? You said you
    lurked, so that means you never contributed anything. Even asking
    questions and having them answered can be a positive contribution. Learn to
    use a kill file, proxy filer or just ignore certain posters/threads and
    post something positive and be part of the solution.

    , Nov 5, 2008
  14. Ian B

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:51:37 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >Obviously a serious shooter, he had a good tripod and his bag of
    >equipment near by. His subject, a young woman, was patiently waiting
    >for him to get his shot right.
    >As I sauntered by I bent down, touched his petal lens shade and said,
    >"better remove this". He said, "Oh yeah!" (realizing the cause),
    >removed the lens shade and proceeded with his shot. Nailed it and
    >turned to grin at me with thanks. (the petal lens shade was blocking
    >some of the flash light from getting at the subject).

    One of my other hobbies is scuba diving. Since my wife doesn't dive,
    I have to buddy-up with strangers on dive trips. I long ago learned
    *not* to buddy-up with the guy with the "serious" equipment. I look
    for the guy who has old, well-worn, good quality gear.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 5, 2008
  15. Ian B

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Sheila" <> wrote

    > What's really interesting about this group is the loyalty that user's have
    > to either Nikon or Canon. It happens off the net too.

    Very reminiscent of the rivalry between Ford and Holden drivers here in
    Australia. Each thinks the other's ironmongery is rubbish and fist-fights
    have broken out at car fairs! Silly really, both make cars that do the job
    asked of them, and have been making and selling heaps of them since the
    1950s (if not earlier - I wouldn't know, I drive a Toyota!)

    I must confess I've stuck with Nikon through the years, mainly because of
    lens compatibility between models. But I don't sneer at Canon users, that is
    their choice.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Nov 6, 2008
  16. So why do SOME of you sneer at Olympus users?

    Ralph Samuelson, III, Nov 7, 2008
  17. Ian B

    SMS Guest

    Ralph Samuelson, III wrote:
    > So why do SOME of you sneer at Olympus users?

    Not at Olympus users, at Olympus D-SLRs. I have an Olympus camera that I
    use, so I'd never swear at Olympus users.

    Pointing out the various pros and cons of different equipment is
    certainly on-topic for this group.

    SMS, Nov 7, 2008
  18. Ian B

    SMS Guest

    Sheila wrote:

    > What's really interesting about this group is the loyalty that user's
    > have to either Nikon or Canon.

    "Blind devotion" is more accurate than "loyalty."

    Some people take it as a personal affront when anyone points out a flaw
    in something that they have purchased.

    I could tell you five bad things about my Canon camera, and five bad
    things about your Nikon camera, without getting emotional about the
    design flaws in either.

    I could tell you things I like and dislike about Canon as a corporation,
    and things I like and dislike about Nikon as a corporation, though I
    have to admit that some of the policies of Nikon U.S.A. would make it
    highly unlikely that I'd ever purchase a Nikon product.

    SMS, Nov 11, 2008