    from Xnews, but Tbird doesn't work.

    Any ideas?

    David

    David R. Birch, Feb 19, 2007

  2. David R. Birch

    Andy Luddy Guest

    David R. Birch wrote:
    > I am using Tbird version 1.5.0.9 (20061207). I'm having a problem with a
    > newsgroup I access, rec.crafts.metalworking. When I subscribe to it, it
    > comes up with 10k+ messages present, but when I open it, all that
    > displays are two messages from last month, both of which are expired.
    > I've unsubscribed and resubscribed several times, and my settings are
    > ALL messages and ALL threads, but I can't get anything to display. I
    > don't have any problems with other newsgroups, and I can access rcm from
    > Xnews, but Tbird doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > David

    What you may need to do is unsubscribe, exit Thunderbird, go to your
    Thunderbird profile*, cd to the News folder, and thence to the folder
    for your news server, and delete the two files named (assuming Windows)
    rec.crafts.metalworking.dat and rec.crafts.metalworking.msf. Then
    restart Thunderbird, resubscribe, and when you click on the group, it
    should fetch the message headers anew.

    * Your profile (again, assuming Windows)should be located at
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your Windows login>\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random string>.default\

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Andy Luddy wrote:
    > David R. Birch wrote:
    >> I am using Tbird version 1.5.0.9 (20061207). I'm having a problem with
    >> a newsgroup I access, rec.crafts.metalworking. When I subscribe to it,
    >> it comes up with 10k+ messages present, but when I open it, all that
    >> displays are two messages from last month, both of which are expired.
    >> I've unsubscribed and resubscribed several times, and my settings are
    >> ALL messages and ALL threads, but I can't get anything to display. I
    >> don't have any problems with other newsgroups, and I can access rcm
    >> from Xnews, but Tbird doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> David

    > What you may need to do is unsubscribe, exit Thunderbird, go to your
    > Thunderbird profile*, cd to the News folder, and thence to the folder
    > for your news server, and delete the two files named (assuming Windows)
    > rec.crafts.metalworking.dat and rec.crafts.metalworking.msf. Then
    > restart Thunderbird, resubscribe, and when you click on the group, it
    > should fetch the message headers anew.
    >
    > * Your profile (again, assuming Windows)should be located at
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<your Windows login>\Application
    > Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random string>.default\

    Thank you! That worked!

    David

    David R. Birch, Feb 20, 2007
  4. David R. Birch

    Andy Luddy Guest

    David R. Birch wrote:
    > Andy Luddy wrote:
    >> David R. Birch wrote:
    >>> I am using Tbird version 1.5.0.9 (20061207). I'm having a problem
    >>> with a newsgroup I access, rec.crafts.metalworking. When I subscribe
    >>> to it, it comes up with 10k+ messages present, but when I open it,
    >>> all that displays are two messages from last month, both of which are
    >>> expired. I've unsubscribed and resubscribed several times, and my
    >>> settings are ALL messages and ALL threads, but I can't get anything
    >>> to display. I don't have any problems with other newsgroups, and I
    >>> can access rcm from Xnews, but Tbird doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> What you may need to do is unsubscribe, exit Thunderbird, go to your
    >> Thunderbird profile*, cd to the News folder, and thence to the folder
    >> for your news server, and delete the two files named (assuming
    >> Windows) rec.crafts.metalworking.dat and rec.crafts.metalworking.msf.
    >> Then restart Thunderbird, resubscribe, and when you click on the
    >> group, it should fetch the message headers anew.
    >>
    >> * Your profile (again, assuming Windows)should be located at
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<your Windows login>\Application
    >> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random string>.default\
    >>

    > Thank you! That worked!
    >
    > David

    You're welcome. I discovered some time ago that when you unsubscribe,
    the .msf and .dat files are left in your News folder tree, so if there
    is anything wrong with them, unsubscribing and resubscribing has no effect.

    Andy Luddy, Feb 20, 2007