Rebuilding Hard drive with Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004.

  1. I am trying to fix a friends computer. When it boots up it says that it
    can find no operating system. So I took his upgrade Windows XP home cd-
    rom and tried to reinstall it. However the computer told me that this
    was not sufficient. Is said it needed a full cd-rom which we don't have.

    Then I took the drive home and used Maxtor to do a mirror copy of it. I
    have Windows XP Professional on my drive.

    That I thought would do the trick. so after deleting all of the files
    that he didn't need, I took it back and installed the 80 MB Maxtor
    Diamond 9 in his computer.

    I also created a six floppy set of Windows XP home diskettes. Then the
    computer booted up and went to the cd-rom.

    I told it to do a repair of the current system and it failed. Then I
    went through everything again and told it to do a new install. It said
    it was going to format the drive. It had CG total and was going to
    format CG and left the rest alone for some reason.

    I thought that was to much space to waste. So I told it to delete the
    partition entirely and create another one using all cg.

    Damn! Then when I got back to the format part, it said that it could no
    longer format the disk because there was no operating system on it and
    an upgrade cd-rom didn't have one.

    Now I know what that extra CG of space for.

    So how do I proceed from here. I have the 80 GB hard drive here at my
    office and I'm going to try and do whatever I need to do from here to
    get it working.

    Can I get any helpful suggestions? I'm just about all out of ideas.

    TIA

    Charlie Beebee
    Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004

  2. Charles Boyer

    Martik Guest

    Doesn't the XP upgrade ask for the win98/95 CD or other qualifying MS
    product?

    If not, you could always download and install Mandrake Linux (or others) at
    linuxiso.org until he can purchase a full version of XP.
    Martik, May 24, 2004

  3. Charles Boyer

    zxcvbob Guest

    Charles Boyer wrote:
    > I am trying to fix a friends computer. When it boots up it says that it
    > can find no operating system. So I took his upgrade Windows XP home cd-
    > rom and tried to reinstall it. However the computer told me that this
    > was not sufficient. Is said it needed a full cd-rom which we don't have.
    >

    > Then I took the drive home and used Maxtor to do a mirror copy of it. I
    > have Windows XP Professional on my drive.
    >
    > That I thought would do the trick. so after deleting all of the files
    > that he didn't need, I took it back and installed the 80 MB Maxtor
    > Diamond 9 in his computer.
    >
    > I also created a six floppy set of Windows XP home diskettes. Then the
    > computer booted up and went to the cd-rom.
    >
    > I told it to do a repair of the current system and it failed. Then I
    > went through everything again and told it to do a new install. It said
    > it was going to format the drive. It had CG total and was going to
    > format CG and left the rest alone for some reason.
    >
    > I thought that was to much space to waste. So I told it to delete the
    > partition entirely and create another one using all cg.
    >
    > Damn! Then when I got back to the format part, it said that it could no
    > longer format the disk because there was no operating system on it and
    > an upgrade cd-rom didn't have one.
    >
    > Now I know what that extra CG of space for.
    >
    > So how do I proceed from here. I have the 80 GB hard drive here at my
    > office and I'm going to try and do whatever I need to do from here to
    > get it working.
    >
    > Can I get any helpful suggestions? I'm just about all out of ideas.
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Charlie Beebee

    What original media do you have? It sounds like the XP upgrade disk
    want you to put a W95, W98, NT, or 2000 CD in the drive so it can sniff
    it and make sure your friend is entitled to the upgrade. If he got the
    upgrade installed once, he must have a license somewhere. Let's assume
    he can't find the old media. Do you have a 95 disk? Maybe a 2000 disk
    at work? I think that should be good enough.

    I've never tried this with XP, so I don't know. Y'all may have to buy a
    new full version XP license.

    Good luck,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 24, 2004
  4. Charles Boyer

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Charles Boyer" <> wrote in message

    > I am trying to fix a friends computer. When it boots up it says that it
    > can find no operating system. So I took his upgrade Windows XP home cd-
    > rom and tried to reinstall it. However the computer told me that this
    > was not sufficient. Is said it needed a full cd-rom which we don't have.

    is it a name brand computer? model number?
    some may have restore CD's available online.
    was the computer upgraded from an older OS? (win2k?)
    you may re-install the older os then upgrade to XP.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, May 24, 2004
  5. In article <Iqcsc.5521$J02.3810@edtnps84>, martik@_nospam_telus.net
    says...
    > Doesn't the XP upgrade ask for the win98/95 CD or other qualifying MS
    > product?

    Yes it does. However, he doesn't have any of those earlier CD's and
    neither do I. I threw away my Windows 98 SE several years ago thinking
    that I would never need them again.

    > If not, you could always download and install Mandrake Linux (or others) at
    > linuxiso.org until he can purchase a full version of XP.

    What is Linux...? You mean the character in the Peanuts cartoon?
    Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004
  6. In article <>, says...
    > Charles Boyer wrote:
    > > I am trying to fix a friends computer. When it boots up it says that it
    > > can find no operating system. So I took his upgrade Windows XP home cd-
    > > rom and tried to reinstall it. However the computer told me that this
    > > was not sufficient. Is said it needed a full cd-rom which we don't have.
    > >

    > > Then I took the drive home and used Maxtor to do a mirror copy of it. I
    > > have Windows XP Professional on my drive.
    > >
    > > That I thought would do the trick. so after deleting all of the files
    > > that he didn't need, I took it back and installed the 80 MB Maxtor
    > > Diamond 9 in his computer.
    > >
    > > I also created a six floppy set of Windows XP home diskettes. Then the
    > > computer booted up and went to the cd-rom.
    > >
    > > I told it to do a repair of the current system and it failed. Then I
    > > went through everything again and told it to do a new install. It said
    > > it was going to format the drive. It had CG total and was going to
    > > format CG and left the rest alone for some reason.
    > >
    > > I thought that was to much space to waste. So I told it to delete the
    > > partition entirely and create another one using all cg.
    > >
    > > Damn! Then when I got back to the format part, it said that it could no
    > > longer format the disk because there was no operating system on it and
    > > an upgrade cd-rom didn't have one.
    > >
    > > Now I know what that extra CG of space for.
    > >
    > > So how do I proceed from here. I have the 80 GB hard drive here at my
    > > office and I'm going to try and do whatever I need to do from here to
    > > get it working.
    > >
    > > Can I get any helpful suggestions? I'm just about all out of ideas.
    > >

    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Charlie Beebee

    > What original media do you have? It sounds like the XP upgrade disk
    > want you to put a W95, W98, NT, or 2000 CD in the drive so it can sniff
    > it and make sure your friend is entitled to the upgrade. If he got the
    > upgrade installed once, he must have a license somewhere. Let's assume
    > he can't find the old media. Do you have a 95 disk? Maybe a 2000 disk
    > at work? I think that should be good enough.
    >
    > I've never tried this with XP, so I don't know. Y'all may have to buy a
    > new full version XP license.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Bob

    He has no original media. The computer is one he purchased from a friend
    who built it from scratch.

    I don't have any old media either. I foolishly threw it all away a
    couple of years ago. Yes, he may have to fork out the $300.00 to get a
    full copy of XP home.

    Right now I have formatted his disk using my WIN XP Professional.

    Then I'm going to find someone with some original media from win 98 and
    load that onto his hard drive. Then I will be able to upgrade back to
    Windows XP home.
    Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004
  7. In article <%afsc.31148$>,
    loopy@localhost says...

    > "Charles Boyer" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I am trying to fix a friends computer. When it boots up it says that it
    > > can find no operating system. So I took his upgrade Windows XP home cd-
    > > rom and tried to reinstall it. However the computer told me that this
    > > was not sufficient. Is said it needed a full cd-rom which we don't have.

    > is it a name brand computer? model number?

    No it is one built from scratch by a friend of his.
    > some may have restore CD's available online.
    > was the computer upgraded from an older OS? (win2k?)
    > you may re-install the older os then upgrade to XP.

    It had Windows Millennium on it when he first got it.
    > -a|ex

    Maybe that cd-rom is around someplace?
    Charles Boyer, May 24, 2004
  8. Charles Boyer

    Martik Guest

    >> If not, you could always download and install Mandrake Linux (or others)
    >> at
    >> linuxiso.org until he can purchase a full version of XP.

    > What is Linux...? You mean the character in the Peanuts cartoon?

    Linux is an Operating system like Windows XP. Go to the site
    www.linuxiso.org and download the 3 CD's for Mandrake, then boot your
    computer from the 2nd CD (there is a bug in Mandrake 10 where the 1st CD
    does not boot) and follow the instructions. You will be amazed!
    Martik, May 24, 2004