    1
    I got the blue screen of death on my ITRONIX tough book and then the OS stopped recognizing the HD. I tried to repair it with the OS disk but it said there was no HD. So I removed it, got a SATA enclosure and tried to recover the data with some recovery SW and it still is not recognized and ticks when it spins.

    Is there a way to rebuild the physical drive?

    IDS_Bill, Nov 19, 2009

  2. IDS_Bill

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Hmm... never good.

    So I'm not aware of any inexpensive ways to rebuild a hard drive. Unfortunately, the tolerances required do not bode well for the home user.

    However, you may look into the power supply. I've bad problems with power supplies that manifest themselves on other components like hard drives and video cards.

    Two things you might try:

    1) Use a different Molex plug for the hard drive. Sometimes the connector just goes south and gets a little corroded.
    2) Unplug everything that can be unplugged, and try the hard drive again, keeping everything else unplugged. I've had marginal power supplies, producing the required 12 volts but not being able to keep up with the power requirements.

    Good luck to you,
    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com

    MarkSatterfield, Jan 31, 2010

  3. IDS_Bill

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Hmm.... never good.

    Well, the short answer is there is not an easy way for the home user to rebuild a hard drive. Unfortunately, the required tolerances are just too limiting.

    However, you may get lucky. Look at your power supply as a possible culprit. You can try two things:

    1) Try a different Molex connector. Sometimes the connector gets cruddy/corroded and does not pass enough current through to the drive.

    2) Reduce the load. Remove everything you can from the 12V circuit (other hard drives, CD ROMs, et al), and try again. I've had power supplies that were producing the 12V but were not able to provide the required power.

    Anyway, good luck to you,

    MarkSatterfield, Jan 31, 2010
  4. IDS_Bill

    Luchi

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Yes connector gets cruddy/corroded some time . I faced the same problem earlier. I overcome the problem the same way you mentioned. This will help other in future . Thanks Mark.

    Luchi, Feb 11, 2010