    drivers for both monitor and card, tried all the obvious fixes, and I'm
    stuck.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Philip SC, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Philip SC

    Kenny Guest

    Sounds like the scan coils which are mounted on the CRT neck have moved.
    You could try re-positioning them with the monitor switched off.

    --

    Kenny

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks, hope you can help...
    >
    > I've built a PC for the kids out of bits & bobs lying around and it's now
    > running happily on Windows 98se with one exception - the monitor is

    showing
    > a distortion that I can't seem to sort out. It's a CTX 1451 (14-inch) and
    > it's running on a Sparkle badged nVidia Riva TNT2 32 Mb graphics card.
    >
    > The problem is that the whole screen image seems to have rotated a few
    > degrees clockwise (just a few, but noticeable) and whichever settings I

    try
    > to apply to the graphics card, I can't get a full-screen image - the best

    > can do leaves a ½-inch black border.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've installed the very

    latest

    Kenny, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Philip SC

    Philip SC Guest

    That sounds scary - I don't suppose you have an idiot's guide...

    Philip SC, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Philip SC

    SgtMinor Guest

    There is no idiot's guide for this, although Kenny may know of one.
    Take a look here:
    http://sure.org.ru/docs/hardware/pcrepair/chap04.html and note the
    following:

    "NOTE: The computer monitor operates with exposed voltages that are
    potentially lethal! This makes monitors unusually dangerous in the hands
    of novice or inexperienced troubleshooters. Make sure that the monitor
    is unplugged and allowed several minutes to discharge before reaching
    into the assembly. Do not operate the monitor without its X-ray and RF
    shields in place (if applicable). It is also advisable to work with a
    second person nearby."

    IMHO you'd be better off with a new monitor: a 17" model now sells for a
    little over $100.

    SgtMinor, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Philip SC

    Billh Guest

    I work on computers at a school for a living. I DO NOT mess with the
    insides of one. You should not as well did you see the other post about how
    when off there is still capacitors that could discharge and KILL you?

    If I am working on an old monitor and the controls on the front will not fix
    the image then it stays the way it is or goes in the trash if it is not
    useable. The cost of my time compared to buying new is not worth it.

    Your OP says you worked on the graphic card settings they are not going to
    rotate your screen use the buttons on the front of the monitor our under a
    drop down panel on the front.

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    > I took everyone's advice and left the monitor off overnight before opening
    > it, and there are a series of small moveable tabs around the monitor's

    neck
    > which I presume make changes to different aspects of the appearance

    (height,
    > width, etc). Would there be a resource where I might find which ones to
    > play with to get back my settings? I'm obviously nervous of adjusting

    them

    Billh, Aug 26, 2003