    all are the same model and all using XP-pro, but two of them reboot when
    using a Linux live CD and two dont, so Im not certain that it is
    hardware, or just some in-compatibility of some sort.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 11/04/2005 10:11 a.m.:
    > Has anyone else come across PC's that reboot when a USB flash drive is
    > plugged in?
    >
    > I have 4 that are doing it with different brands of USB flash drives,
    > all are the same model and all using XP-pro, but two of them reboot when
    > using a Linux live CD and two dont, so Im not certain that it is
    > hardware, or just some in-compatibility of some sort.

    Just a thought here but have you looked at the possibility of a faulty
    USB socket. Shorting the power rail could have this effect when unpluging.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Has anyone else come across PC's that reboot when a USB flash drive is
    >> plugged in?

    >> I have 4 that are doing it with different brands of USB flash drives,
    >> all are the same model and all using XP-pro, but two of them reboot
    >> when using a Linux live CD and two dont, so Im not certain that it is
    >> hardware, or just some in-compatibility of some sort.

    > Just a thought here but have you looked at the possibility of a faulty
    > USB socket. Shorting the power rail could have this effect when unpluging.

    yeah we wondered, but two of them only do it in Windows, two do it all
    the time.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 11/04/2005 10:40 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>> Has anyone else come across PC's that reboot when a USB flash drive
    >>> is plugged in?

    >>> I have 4 that are doing it with different brands of USB flash drives,
    >>> all are the same model and all using XP-pro, but two of them reboot
    >>> when using a Linux live CD and two dont, so Im not certain that it is
    >>> hardware, or just some in-compatibility of some sort.

    >> Just a thought here but have you looked at the possibility of a faulty
    >> USB socket. Shorting the power rail could have this effect when
    >> unpluging.

    > yeah we wondered, but two of them only do it in Windows, two do it all
    > the time.

    True but the short is a physical thing you know, angle of the dangle
    thing, which humans are very adept at changing without being aware.

    Worth a little bit of follow up.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Tim wrote:
    > Are you plugging the USB drives into the front usb ports? There is an issue
    > with some connectors where there is a lack of earth on the front connectors
    > so plugging zaps the southbridge chip with static.
    >
    > Does it happen on rear USB ports or those on USB hubs?

    ooh... gonna try this one, as yeah, all have been into front ports.

    Any chance on a reference(link etc) on this sort of thing?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 11, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    Are you plugging the USB drives into the front usb ports? There is an issue
    with some connectors where there is a lack of earth on the front connectors
    so plugging zaps the southbridge chip with static.

    Does it happen on rear USB ports or those on USB hubs?

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    Take a look at the posting by Massimiliano
    in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus on the 9th april at 2:05AM - particularly
    the answers by Paul.

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 11, 2005
  8. Tim wrote:
    >>>Are you plugging the USB drives into the front usb ports? There is an
    >>>issue with some connectors where there is a lack of earth on the front
    >>>connectors so plugging zaps the southbridge chip with static.

    >>>Does it happen on rear USB ports or those on USB hubs?

    >>ooh... gonna try this one, as yeah, all have been into front ports.
    >>Any chance on a reference(link etc) on this sort of thing?

    > Take a look at the posting by Massimiliano
    > in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus on the 9th april at 2:05AM -

    particularly
    > the answers by Paul.

    thanks for that, it works fine on the rears, no matter how sideways I
    put it in(trying to be a user).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 11, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    The difference is the rear USB Ports will have earth connections to the
    shield via the chassis. The front probably do not. There is often no
    conneciton on the mobo for an earth - as Paul indicates the solution is to
    make an earth connection or replace the front USB ports, or never use the
    front USB ports.

    Personally, I would disconnect the front ports from the motherboard - at
    least in the mean time as the user may blow up the motherboard.

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Tim wrote:
    > The difference is the rear USB Ports will have earth connections to the
    > shield via the chassis. The front probably do not. There is often no
    > conneciton on the mobo for an earth - as Paul indicates the solution is to
    > make an earth connection or replace the front USB ports, or never use the
    > front USB ports.

    > Personally, I would disconnect the front ports from the motherboard - at
    > least in the mean time as the user may blow up the motherboard.

    Although I agree with you, these are corporate desktops(HP Compaq
    7100s), we buy them buy the 30 or 50, and re-earthing them isn't really
    an option, I'm going to get the boss to call our account manager and
    yell at them as this certainly seems to be the fault(got one tested and
    front plate has no earth).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 11, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    Maybe post back to the other news group to let Paul know how you get on, or
    maybe verify the state of things with him - he is quite a wiz at these
    things.
    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 12, 2005