Rebooting on a random (but frequent) schedule

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M

    I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.

    My initial instinct is that it is overheating, but the BIOS has a monitor
    that tells me the temp of the CPU (109F).

    I turned the machine on, and went into the BIOS and have left it for hours
    (two or three) and it has not rebooted.

    When I start it and let it boot to Windows, it will reboot within about 15
    minutes, and will then reboot often and without notification. The active
    screen goes black, and the POST runs. I've not tried Safe Mode to see if
    that has less of a strain on the processor, and maybe the heat on the
    processor isn't the problem at all. The machine was full of dust, so I have
    cleaned it out but there is no change to the behavior.

    When XP is running, the machine reboots without any command to do so. The
    service interval is random, that is, there is no pattern at all to what
    might be at play here. I'm stuck on heat, but I have no way to measure the
    heat while the system is running, and measuring the heat diring the BIOS
    Setup Screen does not exercise the processor, so it is difficult to say that
    this is or is not the problem.

    The machine came with Win ME installed, so we know it is old.

    Is there any sort of software that will report the CPU temp, or give me any
    clue as to what might be going on that causes the machine to boot for no
    reason?
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 16, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M
    >
    > I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.
    >
    > My initial instinct is that it is overheating, but the BIOS has a monitor
    > that tells me the temp of the CPU (109F).
    >
    > I turned the machine on, and went into the BIOS and have left it for hours
    > (two or three) and it has not rebooted.
    >
    > When I start it and let it boot to Windows, it will reboot within about 15
    > minutes, and will then reboot often and without notification. The active
    > screen goes black, and the POST runs. I've not tried Safe Mode to see if
    > that has less of a strain on the processor, and maybe the heat on the
    > processor isn't the problem at all. The machine was full of dust, so I have
    > cleaned it out but there is no change to the behavior.
    >
    > When XP is running, the machine reboots without any command to do so. The
    > service interval is random, that is, there is no pattern at all to what
    > might be at play here. I'm stuck on heat, but I have no way to measure the
    > heat while the system is running, and measuring the heat diring the BIOS
    > Setup Screen does not exercise the processor, so it is difficult to say that
    > this is or is not the problem.
    >
    > The machine came with Win ME installed, so we know it is old.
    >
    > Is there any sort of software that will report the CPU temp, or give me any
    > clue as to what might be going on that causes the machine to boot for no
    > reason?

    Checked the condition of the electrolytic caps near the processor ?
    Are any bulging or leaking ?

    Focus a hair dryer on the processor for a few seconds. Does the
    heat from that, cause an instant reboot ?

    Do reboots occur faster after the system starts up ? Or is the
    time constant the same from starting cold in the morning, compared
    to a reboot after the thing is warm ?

    I would also test with an alternate OS. I'd use my Knoppix
    (Linux LiveCD) and boot with that. Then see how stable it is.
    If both OSes are unstable, then the problem is hardware. There
    are smaller downloads than Knoppix (such as DSL), but I've
    had the best luck with hardware compatibility with Knoppix.
    DSL wouldn't boot on my current computer.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 16, 2009

  3. Jeff Strickland

    baron Guest

    dennis meissner Inscribed thus:

    > just for a point to mention I had a system that rebooted when the
    > video adapter went into a particular video mode. I found this by
    > booting in safe mode and it would run all day long no problems... as
    > soon as I went above 800x600 in regular mode reboots!

    That is probably a known problem on some main boards, where the AGP
    cannot supply enough current for the card in a higher mode.

    > Also don't discount the memory that could be the culprit.

    A good possibility.

    > Might also want to check the caps on the mb... maybe some caps are
    > venting?
    > That can cause unpredictable results. The age of the machine (WinME)
    > may warrant a check.

    Bad caps is very common. There is a website dealing with that problem.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    baron, Jul 16, 2009
  4. Had a similar "no reason" reboot problem. Turned out to be a bad
    memory stick. HTH.
    Steve

    Steve Meyerson, Jul 16, 2009
  5. Re: Rebooting on a random (but frequent) schedule -- MORE

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M
    >
    > I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.
    >
    > My initial instinct is that it is overheating, but the BIOS has a monitor
    > that tells me the temp of the CPU (109F).
    >
    > I turned the machine on, and went into the BIOS and have left it for hours
    > (two or three) and it has not rebooted.
    >
    > When I start it and let it boot to Windows, it will reboot within about 15
    > minutes, and will then reboot often and without notification. The active
    > screen goes black, and the POST runs. I've not tried Safe Mode to see if
    > that has less of a strain on the processor, and maybe the heat on the
    > processor isn't the problem at all. The machine was full of dust, so I
    > have cleaned it out but there is no change to the behavior.
    >
    > When XP is running, the machine reboots without any command to do so. The
    > service interval is random, that is, there is no pattern at all to what
    > might be at play here. I'm stuck on heat, but I have no way to measure the
    > heat while the system is running, and measuring the heat diring the BIOS
    > Setup Screen does not exercise the processor, so it is difficult to say
    > that this is or is not the problem.
    >
    > The machine came with Win ME installed, so we know it is old.
    >
    > Is there any sort of software that will report the CPU temp, or give me
    > any clue as to what might be going on that causes the machine to boot for
    > no reason?

    I'm moving away from an overheaded CPU. I ran CHKDSK /R and it completed and
    sat for hours after it completed, while I was out and about doing other
    stuff. I'm currently (99% complete) in repairing the Windows Installation.

    I replaced the motherboard, and it would not boot at all. It would POST,
    then start Windows, then POST again, and repeat.

    I'm testing the latest Install with the test-moterhboard. I'll let you know

    It looks good, initially.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 16, 2009
  6. Re: Rebooting on a random (but frequent) schedule -- MORE

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M
    >>
    >> I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.
    >>
    >> My initial instinct is that it is overheating, but the BIOS has a monitor
    >> that tells me the temp of the CPU (109F).
    >>
    >> I turned the machine on, and went into the BIOS and have left it for
    >> hours (two or three) and it has not rebooted.
    >>
    >> When I start it and let it boot to Windows, it will reboot within about
    >> 15 minutes, and will then reboot often and without notification. The
    >> active screen goes black, and the POST runs. I've not tried Safe Mode to
    >> see if that has less of a strain on the processor, and maybe the heat on
    >> the processor isn't the problem at all. The machine was full of dust, so
    >> I have cleaned it out but there is no change to the behavior.
    >>
    >> When XP is running, the machine reboots without any command to do so. The
    >> service interval is random, that is, there is no pattern at all to what
    >> might be at play here. I'm stuck on heat, but I have no way to measure
    >> the heat while the system is running, and measuring the heat diring the
    >> BIOS Setup Screen does not exercise the processor, so it is difficult to
    >> say that this is or is not the problem.
    >>
    >> The machine came with Win ME installed, so we know it is old.
    >>
    >> Is there any sort of software that will report the CPU temp, or give me
    >> any clue as to what might be going on that causes the machine to boot for
    >> no reason?
    >>

    > I'm moving away from an overheaded CPU. I ran CHKDSK /R and it completed
    > and sat for hours after it completed, while I was out and about doing
    > other stuff. I'm currently (99% complete) in repairing the Windows
    > Installation.
    >
    > I replaced the motherboard, and it would not boot at all. It would POST,
    > then start Windows, then POST again, and repeat.
    >
    > I'm testing the latest Install with the test-moterhboard. I'll let you
    > know
    >
    > It looks good, initially.

    I've re-installed, and re-booted, and inserted the CD so the install could
    continue.

    9 minutes remaining, Saving Settings is the current operation.

    The screen goes blank (black) momentarily on random intervals. The machine
    is not re-booting, as in the original problem, but is going blank for a
    second or two then coming back.

    I'm on the same motherboard as I was originally using. I did a re-install of
    Win XP to a different motherboard, and the blanking screen did not happen,
    but XP alerted me that the hardware had significantly changed and I had to
    Activate again, then hung when I clicked OK to this demand.

    I removed that motherboard and went back to the original. I want to see what
    happens. And if I have to install a new motherboard, the customer says it is
    okay. I'm not sure of the integrity of the board I'm using for a test, so I
    can't sell it to this person. I can use it for myself, or my family, but not
    for paying customers.

    Since I began this message, the time remaining is down to under 4 minutes,
    and the screen has not gone to black. Maybe it knows I'm talking about it,
    so it is behaving itself ...
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 17, 2009
  7. Re: Rebooting on a random (but frequent) schedule -- UPDATE

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M
    >
    > I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.
    >
    > My initial instinct is that it is overheating, but the BIOS has a monitor
    > that tells me the temp of the CPU (109F).
    >
    > I turned the machine on, and went into the BIOS and have left it for hours
    > (two or three) and it has not rebooted.
    >
    > When I start it and let it boot to Windows, it will reboot within about 15
    > minutes, and will then reboot often and without notification. The active
    > screen goes black, and the POST runs. I've not tried Safe Mode to see if
    > that has less of a strain on the processor, and maybe the heat on the
    > processor isn't the problem at all. The machine was full of dust, so I
    > have cleaned it out but there is no change to the behavior.
    >
    > When XP is running, the machine reboots without any command to do so. The
    > service interval is random, that is, there is no pattern at all to what
    > might be at play here. I'm stuck on heat, but I have no way to measure the
    > heat while the system is running, and measuring the heat diring the BIOS
    > Setup Screen does not exercise the processor, so it is difficult to say
    > that this is or is not the problem.
    >
    > The machine came with Win ME installed, so we know it is old.
    >
    > Is there any sort of software that will report the CPU temp, or give me
    > any clue as to what might be going on that causes the machine to boot for
    > no reason?

    I have not figured out what happened to themotherboard, but I figured out
    that the motherboard is not working right.

    I have a spare motherboard that does not physically fit into the case, but I
    can boot to it and get the machine running well.

    Yesterday, I did a Windows Repair from the original CD. I was told that I
    have 3 days to activate because there are significant changes to the
    hardware as compared to the previous installation. Windows went out and got
    the latest updates -- I do not know if the owner of this machine was keeping
    up with them or not -- but the re-install appears to wipe out the updates.

    Anyhow, now I am required to activate before I can even use the machine. An
    hour ago, I had three days. Now I have to activate before I can logon to the
    machine.

    I'll be installing a new motherboard, and don't want to activate now because
    I'm pretty sure I will have to activate again with the new MB.

    As a workaround, can I start in Safe Mode and uninstall SP3? Installing SP3
    is what caused 3 days to burn up in about an hour.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 17, 2009
  8. Re: Rebooting on a random (but frequent) schedule -- UPDATE

    "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>> Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M
    >>>
    >>> I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.
    >>>

    > SNIP SNIP SNIP
    >
    >> Yesterday, I did a Windows Repair from the original CD. I was told that I
    >> have 3 days to activate because there are significant changes to the
    >> hardware as compared to the previous installation. Windows went out and
    >> got the latest updates -- I do not know if the owner of this machine was
    >> keeping up with them or not -- but the re-install appears to wipe out the
    >> updates.

    > Yes, reinstall wipes out updates. Got to do them all again.
    >

    >> Anyhow, now I am required to activate before I can even use the machine.
    >> An hour ago, I had three days. Now I have to activate before I can logon
    >> to the machine.
    >>
    >> I'll be installing a new motherboard, and don't want to activate now
    >> because I'm pretty sure I will have to activate again with the new MB.
    >>
    >> As a workaround, can I start in Safe Mode and uninstall SP3? Installing
    >> SP3 is what caused 3 days to burn up in about an hour.
    >>

    > If you uninstall SP3, you should hold off on reloading SP3 and any
    > additional updates until you've loaded on the new motherboard or you may
    > find yourself repeating the process when Windows detects new hardware and
    > throws a hissy fit.
    >
    > Rather quick on the activation, eh? Not sure about the Safe Mode
    > workaround, but you may have to try that. Shouldn't hurt. (cringes as he
    > types that). You will probably still have to reactivate when you go to
    > the new motherboard anyway because Windows will detect the change.

    Activating with the new MB that will be staying is not an issue at all. I'm
    just leery of activating with a MB that I know for certain will not be
    staying with the machine.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 18, 2009
  9. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Home - SP3, Celeron, 700 MHz, 256M
    >
    > I have a computer that will reboot for no apparent reason.
    > Is there any sort of software that will report the CPU temp, or give me
    > any clue as to what might be going on that causes the machine to boot for
    > no reason?

    <snipped>
    I can see issue has changed - but for original question:

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/MobileMeter.shtml
    - Bobb -, Jul 20, 2009