reboot loop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tus, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. tus

    tus Guest

    The bulk of the text below was copied from another post I came across
    that is the EXACT same problem I have now. The original post never
    had a resolution that I found, so I am hoping to find one now:

    A friend of mine is having a problem with a computer that is stuck in
    a reboot
    loop. He has an Ultra, 733 (?) Mhz, running Windows 98 SE, with a 40
    gig
    Maxtor hard drive, DVD/CD-Rom, ATI Rage Pro graphics card, 100 MB
    Iomega zip
    drive, and the usual modem, network card, etc.

    This rebooting problem started out of the blue and we have tried
    several
    things so far. As soon as the computer starts and windows is loading,
    the
    computer shuts down then restarts, over and over. We have fdisked and
    reformatted and reinstalled Windows several times with the same
    result. We
    have used different Windows disks with the same result. We have
    enable FAT
    32. We have removed every piece of hardware except the floppy drive,
    the
    DVD drive and the graphics card and have reloaded Windows with the
    same
    result. Where we are at now is when Windows is loading and when
    Windows
    detects the plug and play monitor and wants us to select the correct
    device,
    that is when the computer restarts itself. We have tried different
    monitors. We removed the hard drive and tried it in another machine
    where
    it seemed to work fine. We put another hard drive in the machine and
    it
    also appeared to work fine. We tried another ATI graphics card with
    no
    change. We pulled a stick of memory ( pc 133 to match) from another
    computer and tried it with the same result.

    The computer will start in safe mode. In safe mode, using the
    selective
    startup of the system configuration utility, process config.sys,
    process
    autoexec.bat and process winstart.bat are grayed out and can't be
    selected.
    When we use diagnostic startup, autoexec.bat is not being loaded, but
    config.sys is. In safe mode, using system file checker, the DVD-Rom
    is not
    available to extract autoexec.bat, but when we run edit autoexec.bat
    from
    the start/run command, notepad brings up the autoexec.bat file. We
    have
    tried the fix in article No. 148919, but there is no win.com/w or/wx
    line to
    remove. In safe mode we cannot view the devices by connection in the
    device
    manager control panel so we are unable to see if there is an IRQ
    conflict.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    tus, Jan 8, 2004

  2. tus

    Unk Guest

    Start up again in the save mode. Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type
    "msconfig" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Deselect the first half of
    the startup items, save, and reboot normally. If that fixed it, reselect
    half of the ones you deselected, save, and reboot normally. You get the
    idea... narrow it down to the one causing the problem.

    Memory problems are also a cause of constant rebooting. Reseat the sticks.

    Unk, Jan 8, 2004

  3. tus

    Trax Guest

> [...]

    |>startup of the system configuration utility, process config.sys,
    |>process
    |>autoexec.bat and process winstart.bat are grayed out and can't be
    |>selected.
    |>When we use diagnostic startup, autoexec.bat is not being loaded, but
    |>config.sys is. In safe mode, using system file checker, the DVD-Rom
    |>is not
    |>available to extract autoexec.bat, but when we run edit autoexec.bat
    |>from
    |>the start/run command, notepad brings up the autoexec.bat file. We
    |>have
    |>tried the fix in article No. 148919, but there is no win.com/w or/wx
    |>line to
    |>remove. In safe mode we cannot view the devices by connection in the
    |>device
    |>manager control panel so we are unable to see if there is an IRQ

    I know it sounds like a standard reply but this reeks of an IRQ device clashing
    with another.

    I'm on a 98 now so try this, run msconfig and under General check:
    Diagnostic startup - then load your drivers until one takes you down.

    Also run msinfo32 snoop through the hardware resources around the IRQ,
    conflicts, forced hardware areas. If you do have a IRQ problem there's a good
    chance you wouldn't be able to run msinfo32 without problems.

    |>the start/run command, notepad brings up the autoexec.bat file. We
    |>have
    |>tried the fix in article No. 148919, but there is no win.com/w or/wx
    |>line to remove.

    This is a Win95 entry.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w A Meltdown? One of those annoying buzzwords.
    Trax, Jan 9, 2004