    lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?
    Strelzj, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Strelzj

    Rutger Guest

    Rutger, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Strelzj

    Strelzj Guest

    On Jun 4, 6:21 pm, "Rutger" <> wrote:
    > "Strelzj" <> schreef in berichtnews:...
    >
    > >I am looking to get into photography with a decent SLR camera w/ a
    > > lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    > > like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    > > opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?

    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&ca...
    >
    > Rutger
    >
    > --http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager

    Thanks for that link! Is there any other advice that you can give from
    experience. I don't know what all the terminology means, and how to
    determine which components are better, etc...
    Strelzj, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Strelzj

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:31:25 -0000, Strelzj <> wrote:
    : On Jun 4, 6:21 pm, "Rutger" <> wrote:
    : >
    :
    : Thanks for that link! Is there any other advice that you can give from
    : experience. I don't know what all the terminology means, and how to
    : determine which components are better, etc...

    Please don't be offended, but maybe you shouldn't spend that much money on a
    camera until you've had time to absorb "what all the terminology means". If
    you're determined to do so anyway, find a more experienced photographer whom
    you trust and take his (her) advice.

    That said, I own an XTi and can offer a couple of thoughts:

    - Many people think that the "kit" lens that comes with the camera isn't very
    good. A colleague at work suggested that I get it with the Sigma 18/50mm F2.8
    lens instead, and I haven't been sorry. That lens is a bit heavy, but it's
    versatile and I've gotten pretty good results with it.

    - A couple of reviewers have knocked the XTi for being small and having its
    controls too close together. I have small hands and thin fingers and don't
    find that to be a problem. But someone with larger hands might well feel
    differently.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 5, 2007
  5. Strelzj

    Rich Guest

    On Jun 4, 5:52 pm, Strelzj <> wrote:
    > I am looking to get into photography with a decent SLR camera w/ a
    > lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    > like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    > opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?

    The Nikon. At least you don't have to be a dwarf to hold the handgrip
    on it, even though it's smaller than the Canon.
    It's also better built.
    Rich, Jun 5, 2007
  6. Strelzj

    JoeG Guest

    http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/
    JoeG, Jun 5, 2007
  7. Strelzj

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 20:46:13 -0700, JoeG wrote:

    >> I am looking to get into photography with a decent SLR camera w/ a
    >> lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    >> like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    >> opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?

    > http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/

    That's a pretty useful, fair review, even the conclusion section
    that has the D40x ahead on one point and the Rebel XTi ahead on
    another. The final conclusion though is asinine :

    > If you shoot a high proportion of indoor sports (say college
    > basketball), then the XTi is a must, don’t even contemplate
    > the D40x in this case.

    since the review's prior statements that justifies this is :

    [assumptions]
    > 1. You don’t have any digital SLR system to begin with, or the one
    > you have is not a significant factor in your decision
    > 2. You have a limited budget (I won’t assume how much), and you’re
    > looking to get the best value for the money paid

    [points]
    > the Nikon D40x gives better images even if you were to mount
    > ordinary, consumer-level Nikkor lenses on it.

    > In other words, you don’t need to purchase expensive glass to enjoy
    > high quality output (consider a 400D user review by Jovo, who
    > shared some excellent pictures taken with pro-level lenses and
    > advised against using cheap glass with the XTi) from the camera,
    > something that cannot be said of the Canon system.

    and for the XTi to beat out the D40x for sports photography, you'll
    need an assumed 'unaffordable' lenses, but that's no problem if :

    > . . . you have a friend who can loan you an EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens,
    > you’ll be out-shooting a Nikon D40x owner trying to photograph the
    > action during an indoor basketball match.

    How many photographer newbies are going to have not only a friend
    that has that 85mm f/1.8 USM lens (or a more expensive, longer, fast
    lens) and of these pros or serious amateur friends, how many of them
    would be willing to lend said expensive lens to a newbie without
    requiring the exchange of a large bundle of cash, a credit card or a
    child? :)
    ASAAR, Jun 5, 2007
  8. Strelzj

    Roy G Guest

    "Strelzj" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking to get into photography with a decent SLR camera w/ a
    > lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    > like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    > opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?

    Hi.

    You will hear many pros and cons for either Camera, however they are both
    pretty good pieces of kit, and both are capable of producing superb results.

    If you are a beginner, they will both have the capability to keep up with
    you as your skills advance.

    The most important thing about any Camera, is how it feels in your hands.
    No matter how advanced it is, if it is not comfortable for you to hold, you
    will not enjoy using it.

    So get yourself to a real shop, and handle both, then make your decision.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jun 5, 2007
  9. In article <kp99i.15721$>, roy.gibson1
    @REMOVE.tesco.net says...

    > "Strelzj" <> wrote in message
    > >I am looking to get into photography with a decent SLR camera w/ a
    > > lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    > > like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    > > opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?
    > >

    > Hi.
    >
    > You will hear many pros and cons for either Camera, however they are both
    > pretty good pieces of kit, and both are capable of producing superb results.
    >
    > If you are a beginner, they will both have the capability to keep up with
    > you as your skills advance.
    >
    > The most important thing about any Camera, is how it feels in your hands.
    > No matter how advanced it is, if it is not comfortable for you to hold, you
    > will not enjoy using it.
    >
    > So get yourself to a real shop, and handle both, then make your decision.
    >
    > Roy G

    And that, is probably the most valuable advice anyone can offer you !

    Assuming this was a genuine query...
    (Must stop reading Usenet.. getting far too cynical in my old age..)

    T.
    --
    Do Binary Tripods have 11 legs ?
    Tony Gartshore, Jun 5, 2007
  10. "Strelzj" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking to get into photography with a decent SLR camera w/ a
    > lense for under 800 dollars. I have found two cameras that I really
    > like, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon d40x. Can anyone post their
    > opinion to help me make an educated choice between the two?

    Nikon fans will recommend the Nikon (as I do), and Canon fans probably the
    Canon. I think most people will agree that Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens is much
    better than Canon's (even Canon fans have called the Canon kit lens
    "trash"), and that the Nikon feels significantly better in the hands.
    Reviews I've seen also rate the Nikon's image quality as superior to the
    Canon's. Since the D40x is generally less expensive than the Rebel XTi, it
    is hard to think of a good reason to choose the Canon over the Nikon in this
    case.

    Another question is, Are you really sure you need or want the D40x over the
    D40? They are substantially the same camera except for the difference in
    resolution, six megapixels for the D40 vs ten for the D40x. Do you think
    you'd ever notice any difference even on a large print? The D40 is about
    $200 less expensive, and that's money you could be putting into a second
    lens or other camera-related equipment when you're ready to do so.

    Right now Buydig.com is selling the D40 with kit lens for $525, and you get
    free shipping and a free 1GB memory card as well. You can't beat that with a
    stick. If I didn't already have a D40 I'd be ordering one from them this
    minute. They are an absolutely reliable seller, and ship very fast.

    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKD401855

    Read this photographer's review and commentary on the D40 and D40x cameras:

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Jun 5, 2007
  11. Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> "Strelzj" <> schreef in

    > - A couple of reviewers have knocked the XTi for being small and
    > having its controls too close together. I have small hands and thin
    > fingers and don't find that to be a problem. But someone with larger
    > hands might well feel differently.

    For me this was a real problem (same with the D40) and one of the main
    reasons why I went for a D80.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 7, 2007
  12. Strelzj

    Dan Birchall Guest

    (ASAAR) wrote:
    > How many photographer newbies are going to have not only a friend
    > that has that 85mm f/1.8 USM lens (or a more expensive, longer, fast
    > lens) and of these pros or serious amateur friends, how many of them
    > would be willing to lend said expensive lens to a newbie without
    > requiring the exchange of a large bundle of cash, a credit card or a
    > child? :)

    I have the 85mm f/1.8 USM, and it's not expensive. That's why I have
    it. Good, fast, reasonably priced glass. :) Now, the 85mm f/1.2L is
    quite another story, and that one I don't have.

    -Dan
    Dan Birchall, Jun 18, 2007
  13. Strelzj

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:39:27 -0000, Dan Birchall wrote:

    >> How many photographer newbies are going to have not only a friend
    >> that has that 85mm f/1.8 USM lens (or a more expensive, longer, fast
    >> lens) and of these pros or serious amateur friends, how many of them
    >> would be willing to lend said expensive lens to a newbie without
    >> requiring the exchange of a large bundle of cash, a credit card or a
    >> child? :)

    > I have the 85mm f/1.8 USM, and it's not expensive. That's why I have
    > it. Good, fast, reasonably priced glass. :) Now, the 85mm f/1.2L is
    > quite another story, and that one I don't have.

    Then your newbie photography friend is all set, as you won't mind
    lending him/her the 85mm f/1.8 USM whenever it's needed. Lucky him
    or her. But for sports photography a longer fast lens would be a
    better choice. Do you have Canon's 400mm f/2.8 by any chance? If
    so, lucky you too. Maybe. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 18, 2007