    first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the 18-55 basic
    lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I believe it's the
    18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.
    Tass, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Tass

    garageolympo Guest

    You mean 17-70 Sigma? or 18-85 Canon?
    As a user of 17-70 sigma, I think, of course, there IS a difference
    between it and basic canon lens. But the difference is not proportional
    to the difference in prices. I believe, if someone needs a significant
    difference, he/she should look something else. For example, canon 17-40
    L lens.

    garageolympo, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Tass

    Guest

    On Nov 15, 5:41 am, "garageolympo" <> wrote:
    > You mean 17-70 Sigma? or 18-85 Canon?
    > As a user of 17-70 sigma, I think, of course, there IS a difference
    > between it and basic canon lens. But the difference is not proportional
    > to the difference in prices. I believe, if someone needs a significant
    > difference, he/she should look something else. For example, canon 17-40
    > L lens.

    Is there a significant difference in the price between the two? It is
    pretty hard to go out and buy a Rebel XTi, which I just did, then plunk
    down an additional $500+ for another lens.
    , Nov 15, 2006
  4. Tass

    Roy G Guest

    "Tass" <> wrote in message
    >I am convinced on the Rebel XTi. I am just a hobbyist and this will be my
    >first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the 18-55 basic
    >lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I believe it's the
    >18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.

    Hi.

    Stick with the Kit lens.

    It is not the best lens Canon ever made, but it is still a reasonably good
    performer, and it is very inexpensive.

    Do NOT rush out to buy additional or different lenses until you find you
    REALLY need them.

    You could just discover that the next lens you NEED for your style of
    photography is an extreme wide angle, not a telephoto.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Tass wrote:
    > I am convinced on the Rebel XTi. I am just a hobbyist and this will
    > be my first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the
    > 18-55 basic lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I
    > believe it's the 18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.

    I have the Canon lens. It feels cheap. It does not look impressive. It
    works great. It is one of the best buys around for a camera lens. I
    highly recommend it. In time you may grow to like the light weight and
    ignore the plastic feel. You will like the results.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Tass

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <dtB6h.320100$5R2.149184@pd7urf3no>, Tass
    <> wrote:

    > I am convinced on the Rebel XTi. I am just a hobbyist and this will be my
    > first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the 18-55 basic
    > lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I believe it's the
    > 18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.

    For a hobbyist and a first-time DSLR owner, that lens is fine. Not
    fantastic but fine. Use it for a while and decide what interests you
    the most - landscape stuff, wildlife, portraits, wide angles, kid
    snapz, macros, etc. THEN make a decision down the road as to which
    lenses you might be interested in - it's amazing the number of times
    that a new [D]SLR user heads off into a different aspect of photography
    than they thought that they would, simply because they never had the
    opportunities involved before with P & S cameras (film OR digital).

    When you do decide on what interests you, wait a little longer to be
    sure, and to budget a little more money - besides the software between
    your ears, and all other things being equal, the glass on the camera
    makes the biggest difference you can make in your pictures. So buy the
    best lenses you can get, usually L series.
    Ken Lucke, Nov 15, 2006
  7. Tass

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > On Nov 15, 5:41 am, "garageolympo" <> wrote:
    > > You mean 17-70 Sigma? or 18-85 Canon?
    > > As a user of 17-70 sigma, I think, of course, there IS a difference
    > > between it and basic canon lens. But the difference is not proportional
    > > to the difference in prices. I believe, if someone needs a significant
    > > difference, he/she should look something else. For example, canon 17-40
    > > L lens.

    > Is there a significant difference in the price between the two? It is
    > pretty hard to go out and buy a Rebel XTi, which I just did, then plunk
    > down an additional $500+ for another lens.

    Not if you want quality pictures. But being a new user, you should
    wait until you are shure where you are going with your photography. or
    at least a good idea. I'd say stick with the kit lens, and maybe
    something in a 70-300 for longer shots, and upgrade later when you are
    more sure of what you want.

    A camera is a bottomless hole to throw money into. Remember that.
    There's ALWAYS another lens, another accessory, a bigger memory card, a
    better tripod, a better bag, another.....
    Ken Lucke, Nov 15, 2006
  8. Tass

    al-Farrob Guest

    This is wise advice, imho

    al-Farrob, Nov 15, 2006
  9. Tass

    Mark² Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Tass wrote:
    >> I am convinced on the Rebel XTi. I am just a hobbyist and this will
    >> be my first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the
    >> 18-55 basic lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I
    >> believe it's the 18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.

    > I have the Canon lens. It feels cheap. It does not look
    > impressive. It works great.

    Good input and recognition of reality...
    Looks can be deceiving. Not saying its a great lens, but it's good enough
    to render pleasing results.
    -Just take Canon's ultra sheap 50mm f1.8 lens! It's about $80, but
    literally one of Canon's sharpest lenses.
    Most folks will be very pleased with the results they CAN get with the
    inexpensive kit lenses... Most people I've talked to that are displeased
    with their DSLR images are people who simply haven't figured out the "new
    importance" of controlling depth of field, and/or understanding the basics
    of exposure control. They treat the DSLR like a point-and-shoot, and then
    get frustrated when it doesn't "automatically rescue them" in certain
    situations. Any of those kit lenses will render better results than a
    oint-and-shoot, but it usually will require a bit of learning before they
    see it.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Nov 16, 2006
  10. >I am convinced on the Rebel XTi. I am just a hobbyist and this will be my
    >first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the 18-55 basic
    >lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I believe it's the
    >18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.

    Much more important than the zoom range of the lens is the optical
    quality of the lens. Without a good lens, you'll never get really
    good pictures.

    If you can afford the L-lenses (you probably can't, or at least don't
    want to spend the money) and don't mind the size, they will give you
    the best images. Your best bet is the Canon lenses that cost around
    $400.

    Your other option is to look around on the web for sample pictures
    taken with the various lenses. If you're happy with the quality of
    the kit lens, don't waste the extra money.

    -Joel

    Free custom Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Tass

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Tass wrote:
    > I am convinced on the Rebel XTi. I am just a hobbyist and this will be my
    > first dSLR. My question is this. Should I upgrade from the 18-55 basic
    > lense? Is there much of a difference between it and, I believe it's the
    > 18-70? Also what would be a good telephoto? Thanks.

    I'm very happy with the 17-85IS lens, likely the
    one you have in mind.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Nov 16, 2006