    Hi
    Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
    Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

    jazu, Dec 8, 2006

  2. jazu

    Bill Guest

    "jazu" <> wrote in message
    news:hP3eh.444206$5R2.234573@pd7urf3no...
    > Hi
    > Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
    > Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

    I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
    Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
    cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
    profits? You have to be prepared for that.

    As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
    D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
    quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
    manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
    plant.

    Bill, Dec 8, 2006

  3. jazu

    jazu Guest

    I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

    jazu, Dec 8, 2006
  4. jazu

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:39 GMT, "jazu" <>
    wrote:

    >I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

    It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
    and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
    IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
    cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 8, 2006
  5. "jazu" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
    > Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

    Would not surprise nor concern me. Canon QA goes off shore, along with the
    manufacturing. You can get a lemon from any production line.

    In any case, I'd bet the source of the components is much the same.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 8, 2006
  6. jazu

    jazu Guest

    I asked "where it was made."

    jazu, Dec 9, 2006
  7. jazu

    Roy G Guest

    "jazu" <> wrote in message
    >I asked "where it was made."
    >

    > "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:39 GMT, "jazu" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

    >> It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
    >> and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
    >> IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
    >> cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.
    >>>
    >>>"Bill" <> wrote in message

    >> --
    >> Bill Funk
    >> replace "g" with "a"

    Hi.

    I wonder if some of the workers in Thailand, who so lovingly assemble these
    hi-tech cameras, get a bit concerned when they hear of them going to the
    USA, where a lot of them will be used by people who do not even understand
    the instruction manual.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 9, 2006
  8. jazu

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 02:55:26 GMT, "jazu" <>
    wrote:

    >I asked "where it was made."

    Isn't there a sticker on the camera somewhere that says where it was
    made?
    ISTR that's a requirement if it's imported into the US.
    My 30D clearly says, "Made in Japan."
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 9, 2006
  9. jazu

    Rich Guest

    jazu wrote:
    > Hi
    > Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
    > Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

    Though most would claim that with specific QC measures in place,
    quality can't vary by much, there have been anecdotal (though informed)
    opinions raised about some products like this to the effect that the
    Chinese made units are not as good. However, you'd have to get two of
    them side by side to really check them out. In the case of some optics
    whose production had shifted from Japan to Taiwan, there were
    differences in favour of the Japanese.

    Rich, Dec 9, 2006
  10. jazu

    John Turco Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > "jazu" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
    > > Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

    > I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
    > Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
    > cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
    > profits? You have to be prepared for that.
    >
    > As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
    > D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
    > quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
    > manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
    > plant.

    Hello, Bill:

    Indeed, QC counts the most. My various Kodak digcams were made in either
    China or Japan, and there's no apparent difference in quality, between
    any of them.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 11, 2006
  11. jazu

    John Turco Guest

    Roy G wrote:

    > > "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message

    <edited, for brevity>

    > >> --
    > >> Bill Funk
    > >> replace "g" with "a"

    > Hi.
    >
    > I wonder if some of the workers in Thailand, who so lovingly assemble these
    > hi-tech cameras, get a bit concerned when they hear of them going to the
    > USA, where a lot of them will be used by people who do not even understand
    > the instruction manual.
    >
    > Roy G

    Hello, Roy:

    Ho, ho, ho, Santa says you're very witty -- NOT! :)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 12, 2006