    the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    factory settings.
    ransley, Jun 26, 2009

  2. ransley

    Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:16:48 -0700 (PDT), ransley <> wrote:

    > I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    > section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    > the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    > help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    > factory settings.

    Buy a graduated filter.
    , Jun 26, 2009

  3. ransley <> wrote:
    > I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    > section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    > the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    > help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    > factory settings.

    Shoot in RAW to get the extra dynamic range, adjust exposure using
    histogram display so that the sunlit roof is just under overexposure,
    and then boost the shadow part of the tone curve in
    postprocessing. Sounds very complicated if you've never done it
    before, but quite quick once you're used to it. You may also be able
    to do it by using something like a Dynamic Range Optimiser in your RAW
    editor, if it has one of those.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Jun 26, 2009
  4. ransley wrote:
    > I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    > section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    > the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    > help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    > factory settings.

    Wait until you have an overcast day, or try early morning, or evening.

    Seriously.
    John McWilliams, Jun 26, 2009
  5. ransley

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:16:48 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    >section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    >the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    >help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    >factory settings.

    HDR is a simple and easy solution.
    Take 3-5 shots at a 1 EV interval.
    Combine them with HDR software.

    --
    Best regards,
    John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)
    John Navas, Jun 26, 2009
  6. ransley

    Hawk Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:16:48 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    >> section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    >> the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    >> help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    >> factory settings.

    > HDR is a simple and easy solution.
    > Take 3-5 shots at a 1 EV interval.
    > Combine them with HDR software.

    My rule of thumb is either 3 shots 2EV apart, or 5 shots 1EV apart as
    the minimum I'd use for the average HDR shot. In some cases where you
    are pointed at the sun you may need additional shots to cover the entire
    dynamic range.

    Newer camera's with 14 bit RAW images may get away with less than the
    average 12 bit variety.

    (*>
    Hawk, Jun 26, 2009
  7. ransley

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:41:30 +0000 (UTC), Hawk <>
    wrote in <>:

    >John Navas wrote:

    >> HDR is a simple and easy solution.
    >> Take 3-5 shots at a 1 EV interval.
    >> Combine them with HDR software.

    >My rule of thumb is either 3 shots 2EV apart, or 5 shots 1EV apart as
    >the minimum I'd use for the average HDR shot. ...

    My own experience is that 1 EV interval is easier to work with and tends
    to give better results than 2 EV interval.

    John Navas, Jun 26, 2009
  8. ransley

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:18:16 -0500, Better Solutions
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:41:30 +0000 (UTC), Hawk <>
    >wrote:

    >>Newer camera's with 14 bit RAW images may get away with less than the
    >>average 12 bit variety.

    >Or use any of the inexpensive CHDK P&S cameras, then any piddly extra
    >dynamic range from RAW bit-depth becomes meaningless. You wouldn't even
    >have to use CHDK's 10-bit or 12-bit RAW images either, the 8-bit JPGs would
    >be plenty of data to work with. CHDK provides a 38EV exposure range for
    >supported cameras, added to the sensor's 8 to 11 EV dynamic range (46 to 49
    >EV dynamic range in total). ...

    With all due respect, that hocus pocus.

    John Navas, Jun 26, 2009
  9. ransley

    ransley Guest

    On Jun 26, 11:32 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:16:48 -0700 (PDT), ransley
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    > >section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    > >the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would HDR
    > >help. How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    > >factory settings.

    > HDR is a simple and easy solution.
    > Take 3-5 shots at a 1 EV interval.
    > Combine them with HDR software.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John            (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)

    I think I will try HDR, the sun filtering in different areas and
    shadows do make it more difficult
    ransley, Jun 27, 2009
  10. ransley

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 26 Jun 2009 13:09:13 GMT, Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    : ransley <> wrote:
    : > I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    : > section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes. Would
    : > the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help,

    You won't know until you try them.

    : > Would HDR help.

    Almost certainly overkill.

    : > How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    : > factory settings.

    Factory settings are for newbies. If you don't want to stay a newbie, you have
    to read the manual and try more of the available features.

    : Shoot in RAW to get the extra dynamic range, adjust exposure using
    : histogram display so that the sunlit roof is just under overexposure,
    : and then boost the shadow part of the tone curve in postprocessing.
    : Sounds very complicated if you've never done it before, but quite quick
    : once you're used to it. You may also be able to do it by using something
    : like a Dynamic Range Optimiser in your RAW editor, if it has one of those.

    All EOS Canons come with a pretty good RAW editor, Digital Photo Professional.
    The latest version has specific settings to boost shadows and/or dim down
    highlights. Although it isn't a panacea, it works fairly well. If the camera
    didn't come with the latest version of DPP, you can install the version that's
    on the CD and download an updater from Canon's Web site.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 27, 2009
  11. ransley <> wrote:

    > I am trying to take a photo of a house in basicly 50% shade with a
    > section of roof in sun, the section off roof in sun overexposes.

    Change your exposure so that the roof doesn't overexpose. If
    necessary, use the 'M' mode for that. RAW has more latitude
    and can help.

    > Would the Highlight Priority or Auto Lighting Optimiser help, Would
    > HDR help.

    Maybe. Doing HDR right, i.e. that you don't *see* it's a HDR
    shot is hard. You do have a sturdy tripod, right?

    Waiting for a more overcast day would certainly help.

    > How do I easily set myself up to get even exposures. I am using
    > factory settings.

    By starting to rely less on the camera automatics. Start
    reading on basic photography, what exposure times and
    aperture settings are and how they relate. Houses don't run
    away, you've got time, so play with the 'M' mode for a couple
    of hours.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 2, 2009