    has a constant f/2.8, while the new has f/2.8-3.3! So what
    possible motivation could someone have to chose FZ5 over the FZ20?

    Thomas
    ThomasH, Feb 9, 2005

  2. ThomasH

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:06:47 -0800, ThomasH wrote:

    > I just saw the announcement on dpreview and some technical data.
    > Personally i think that these models look like the FZ15 and FZ20.
    > Same rendering engine (venus II), same resolution, no improvement
    > in sensitivity, almost identical controls.
    >
    > Hm.... what is this new release about??
    >
    > Actually, the Leica Elmarit 6-72mm lens seems to be... less than
    > the lens on the older models FZ10 through FZ20! The older lens
    > has a constant f/2.8, while the new has f/2.8-3.3! So what
    > possible motivation could someone have to chose FZ5 over the FZ20?

    These are followups to the FZ1/2... not the FZ10/15... so they are *much*
    smaller. The sensor is a little bigger physically and I assume there has
    been a slight compromise on lens design to cover the bigger image circle.

    --
    John Bean

    I tried to wrestle my inner demons once... but they used to many illegal
    holds (Amanda McAllister)
    John Bean, Feb 9, 2005

  3. ThomasH

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    ThomasH <> wrote:
    > I just saw the announcement on dpreview and some technical data.
    > Personally i think that these models look like the FZ15 and FZ20.
    > Same rendering engine (venus II), same resolution, no improvement
    > in sensitivity, almost identical controls.
    >
    > Hm.... what is this new release about??

    Cheaper lens, for a start. These are aimed at people who'd otherwise
    probably be buying Minolta Z's rather than Minolta A's like the
    FZ10/15/20. The 3/4/5 are aimed at replacing the bottom end of the
    FZ range.

    > has a constant f/2.8, while the new has f/2.8-3.3! So what
    > possible motivation could someone have to chose FZ5 over the FZ20?

    Price, primarily. The FZ20 is aimed at a higher market sector. For some
    people, size/weight might be an issue too. The 10/15/20 are quite large
    cameras.

    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
    Pete Fenelon, Feb 10, 2005
  4. ThomasH

    True211 Guest

    "Pete Fenelon" <> wrote in message
    > ThomasH <> wrote:

    > The FZ20 is aimed at a higher market sector. For some
    > people, size/weight might be an issue too. The 10/15/20 are quite large
    > cameras.

    The first review is up for the FZ5. I dunno. I see lots of jaggies in the
    sample pics.

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz5-review/index.shtml
    True211, Feb 10, 2005
  5. ThomasH

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    True211 <> wrote:

    > "Pete Fenelon" <> wrote in message
    >> ThomasH <> wrote:

    >> The FZ20 is aimed at a higher market sector. For some
    >> people, size/weight might be an issue too. The 10/15/20 are quite large
    >> cameras.

    > The first review is up for the FZ5. I dunno. I see lots of jaggies in the
    > sample pics.
    >
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz5-review/index.shtml

    Bloody hell - it sharpens *way* too much. Could it be the first digital
    camera where the last item in your usual workflow is a blur rather than
    a sharpen? ;)

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
    Pete Fenelon, Feb 10, 2005
  6. On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:31:27 -0500, "True211"
    <> wrote:

    >The first review is up for the FZ5. ...

    >http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz5-review/index.shtml

    Just read it. Interesting!

    I own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2 (see photo samples at
    http://www.michna.com/kenya2004/ and related pages, if you
    like).

    Test photos show that these ultra-zoom lenses are unable to
    produce a sharp 2 Megapixel picture over the entire area of the
    photo. They are able to produce a sharp center of the photo, but
    near the edges and near the corners you get enough chroma errors
    that you would have to reduce the resolution to 0.2 Megapixels
    to eliminate them.

    In this respect, raising the resolution to 3, 4, and even 5
    Megapixels with the same lens looks partly like a marketing
    gimmick.

    I would love to swap my camera for a better one, but so far I
    fail to see the reason.

    One other thing that would convince me is an articulated
    (swivelling) viewfinder, which all of these cameras still lack.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 10, 2005
  7. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    John Bean wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:06:47 -0800, ThomasH wrote:
    >
    > > I just saw the announcement on dpreview and some technical data.
    > > Personally i think that these models look like the FZ15 and FZ20.
    > > Same rendering engine (venus II), same resolution, no improvement
    > > in sensitivity, almost identical controls.
    > >
    > > Hm.... what is this new release about??
    > >
    > > Actually, the Leica Elmarit 6-72mm lens seems to be... less than
    > > the lens on the older models FZ10 through FZ20! The older lens
    > > has a constant f/2.8, while the new has f/2.8-3.3! So what
    > > possible motivation could someone have to chose FZ5 over the FZ20?

    > These are followups to the FZ1/2... not the FZ10/15... so they are *much*
    > smaller. The sensor is a little bigger physically and I assume there has
    > been a slight compromise on lens design to cover the bigger image circle.

    But of course! I have not noticed the remark on the top,
    its a successor to the FZ3! They are smaller indeed and
    this explains that the zoom if f/2.8-3.3.

    I am curious if the sensor is less noisy than the FZ3.
    Personally I consider the sensor in FZ10 as 'noisy' at
    ISO200, outright unusable with ISO400. Other than that
    this Leica zoom and the image stabilization puts the
    FZ20 atop of the 5Mpix pack.

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Feb 12, 2005
  8. ThomasH

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:56:24 -0800, ThomasH wrote:

    > John Bean wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:06:47 -0800, ThomasH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just saw the announcement on dpreview and some technical data.
    >>> Personally i think that these models look like the FZ15 and FZ20.
    >>> Same rendering engine (venus II), same resolution, no improvement
    >>> in sensitivity, almost identical controls.
    >>>
    >>> Hm.... what is this new release about??
    >>>
    >>> Actually, the Leica Elmarit 6-72mm lens seems to be... less than
    >>> the lens on the older models FZ10 through FZ20! The older lens
    >>> has a constant f/2.8, while the new has f/2.8-3.3! So what
    >>> possible motivation could someone have to chose FZ5 over the FZ20?

    >> These are followups to the FZ1/2... not the FZ10/15... so they are *much*
    >> smaller. The sensor is a little bigger physically and I assume there has
    >> been a slight compromise on lens design to cover the bigger image circle.

    > But of course! I have not noticed the remark on the top,
    > its a successor to the FZ3! They are smaller indeed and
    > this explains that the zoom if f/2.8-3.3.
    >
    > I am curious if the sensor is less noisy than the FZ3.
    > Personally I consider the sensor in FZ10 as 'noisy' at
    > ISO200, outright unusable with ISO400. Other than that
    > this Leica zoom and the image stabilization puts the
    > FZ20 atop of the 5Mpix pack.

    I never liked the FZ10, far too big for what it is. I have a FZ1 (with
    updated firmware) which is still too large to be pocketable but it's a handy
    camera despite being only 2MP and lacking a few features. With the firmware
    changed I can use aperture or shutter priority on the FZ1, but no manual
    operation.

    As long as this new pair are no more noisy than the FZ1 I'd be interested in
    one of these as a replacement, offering useful extra features like manual
    operation as well as more resolution. If you want low noise you need a
    DSLR... like my Pentax *istDS :)

    --
    John Bean

    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up
    there's no law against wacking them around a little (Joe Martin)
    John Bean, Feb 12, 2005