    the conflict? Is this referring to information in the reg. that can be
    deleted?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2009

  2. Oh! I happened onto [Roadwolf's] blogpost:

    http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?p=94

    this is close to what I had expected and I will try fiddling with the
    concept today, and report back.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2009

  3. Right - the wireless is up and working. Windows and Avast has updated and
    Electricsheep is happily bouncing away!

    That Blog, had it, spot on!

    Now I need a Newsreader - I understand Thunderbird will do the job, but
    since I will probably want the browser, will there be any benefit to get the
    all-in-one (perhaps overloaded?) Seamonkey, or should I just make do with
    the separate modules?

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2009
  4. Tony Sperling

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    > Now I need a Newsreader

    What (from your point of view) is wrong with the free and ubiquitous Windows
    Live Mail?

    www.download.live.com

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 26, 2009
  5. Oh - nothing much wrong really. It's just that I noticed the disappearance
    of OE generating mixed feelings and that old goats often don't like having
    multiple new ideas being stacked on top of each other. Well, I generally
    like to think I am intruiged by new ideas, as long as they don't replace
    something barely functioning with something worse. I didn't like Vista so
    being on Win7 is a new (and intruiging) experience, and the 'live' thing is
    completely fresh to me, so I will pick up the challenge and try it out -
    thanks RC!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2009

    Give GreatNews a try http://www.curiostudio.com/

    Charles Wilson, Jun 26, 2009
  7. Tony Sperling

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    We old goats can never stop learning new tricks, though, can we? Seems to
    me that will be the definition of my death, because I don't plan to step off
    the learning curve until then. ;^}

    The "live" part of the Windows Live name has never felt "right" or very
    informative to me. So I resisted everything with "Live" in its name - until
    Windows Live Mail. I did like Vista, even when it was still Longhorn, so I
    happily participated in the Vista beta, including the bundled Windows Mail.
    I used WM until May 2007, when I jumped to the Windows Live Mail Desktop
    beta - just as they were renaming things and dropping the word "Desktop"
    from the name of Windows Live Mail. I've since downloaded and installed
    just about all of the Windows Live Essentials, but seldom use anything
    except Mail - and just enough of Messenger to Sign In.

    To me, WLMail's features can be divided into about 3 groups:
    1. Some parts are just like OE and feel as comfy as an old shoe.
    2. Some parts are ALMOST like OE but take some getting used to; some I
    like better, some not so much.
    3. Some parts are entirely different from OE; again, some are better and
    some need a lot of improving. (This pastel GUI has generated the most
    angst; the hidden-by-default icon-less Menu Bar is close behind.)

    I use only POP3 and NNTP, no Hotmail or IMAP or any such exotica. I can't
    stand the web-based interface to newsgroups. I have Outlook, but seldom use
    it. A decade or more ago, I tried many interfaces, starting with CompuServe
    back in 1979, and progressing through The Source, GEnie, AOL, Pegasus...and
    more others than I can remember. I used the original Netscape, but I
    haven't even looked at the current offerings (Firefox, Thunderbird,
    Mozilla - I barely know their names). I used OE from its beginning through
    its final OE6.

    Overall, after using WLMail for just over 2 years now, I'm pretty happy with
    it.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 26, 2009
  8. I totaly agree - life is a learning process and 'learning' is what keeps
    some of us going. Then again, 'new' isn't always very exiting at first. I
    did find it exiting though, when you mention the hidden menu-bar. I just
    noticed an absent one. Before I installed, I made sure it mentioned
    newsgroups. I couldn't find it at first, but there was a painfully short
    side-note about it somewhere, but when I launched the darn thing there was
    nothing of that anywhere. I even used the search tool and typed 'newsgroup'
    and 'microsoft public newsgroup' and 'nntp' and it returned with zero
    results every time. That I find puzzling, to say the least.

    So, I am back in OE right now and wishing that hidden bar will reveal
    something rather more substantial when I return and un-hide it. (If that
    will even help at all?)

    Otherwise, it does not look bad at all, I am beginning to find it has some
    interesting aspects with file and photo sharing and stuff like that. It is
    bound to prove very usefull in the end I think.

    One thing I found absolutely amazing is my three-disk RAID0 setup gave an
    index of 2.9 when in the Vista beta it was one of the major strong points of
    more than 5,5, as I remember. I shall try HDTACH on it and see what it says,
    it seems to me as the SATA interface may not be fully up to par at the
    moment, perhaps the updates will offer something over the next couple of
    days? The RAID itself functions very well and so far I didn't notice any
    performance degradation had it not been for that index score.

    And thanks RC for keeping my stubborness spurred and awake.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2009