    realtek high definition audio bus - grr, such shite sound on this
    model why bother with this rubbish...
    thank
    John in Wembley, Dec 20, 2008

  2. I have tried all the drivers I can find on the asus website, they are
    either out of date or fail...
    grrrr
    John in Wembley, Dec 20, 2008

  3. On Dec 20, 6:12 pm, John in Wembley <> wrote:
    > I have tried all the drivers I can find on the asus website, they are
    > either out of date or fail...
    > grrrr

    fixed....
    finally...
    John in Wembley, Dec 20, 2008
  4. John in Wembley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John in Wembley" typed:
    > On Dec 20, 6:12 pm, John in Wembley <> wrote:
    >> I have tried all the drivers I can find on the asus website, they are
    >> either out of date or fail...
    >> grrrr

    > fixed....
    > finally...

    Congrats!
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  5. John in Wembley

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 20, 5:18 pm, John in Wembley <> wrote:
    > Hi folksd
    > Downgraded my asus F5SL laptop to xp from vista.
    >
    > all ok except cant get the sound card to work.
    > heaps of posts about the issue but any patches I find are pre SP3 and
    > done work
    > ideas?
    > realtek high definition audio bus - grr, such shite sound on this
    > model why bother with this rubbish...
    > thank

    Computers generally need a 'chipset' driver which needs to be
    installed before other drivers (especially audio drivers). Without it
    the other drivers may not install.
    peterwn, Dec 20, 2008
  6. On Dec 21, 7:00 am, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Dec 20, 5:18 pm, John in Wembley <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folksd
    > > Downgraded my asus F5SL laptop to xp from vista.

    > > all ok except cant get the sound card to work.
    > > heaps of posts about the  issue but any patches I find are pre SP3 and
    > > done work
    > > ideas?
    > > realtek high definition audio bus - grr, such shite sound on this
    > > model why bother with this rubbish...
    > > thank

    > Computers generally need a 'chipset' driver which needs to be
    > installed before other drivers (espece tially audio drivers).  Without it
    > the other drivers may not install.

    I had to disable some MS driver to install the realtec, but what a
    hassle for such a crappy sound, whats worse this laptop only has 90
    minutes of battery life!
    Something I didnt check in KL!
    John in Wembley, Dec 20, 2008
  7. John in Wembley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John in Wembley" typed:
    > On Dec 21, 7:00 am, peterwn <> wrote:
    >> On Dec 20, 5:18 pm, John in Wembley <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folksd
    >>> Downgraded my asus F5SL laptop to xp from vista.

    >>> all ok except cant get the sound card to work.
    >>> heaps of posts about the issue but any patches I find are pre SP3
    >>> and done work
    >>> ideas?
    >>> realtek high definition audio bus - grr, such shite sound on this
    >>> model why bother with this rubbish...
    >>> thank

    >> Computers generally need a 'chipset' driver which needs to be
    >> installed before other drivers (espece tially audio drivers).
    >> Without it the other drivers may not install.

    > I had to disable some MS driver to install the realtec, but what a
    > hassle for such a crappy sound, whats worse this laptop only has 90
    > minutes of battery life!
    > Something I didnt check in KL!

    I just did a quick Google for reviews and they aren't exactly flattering.
    Generally I like Asus products.

    I've come to the conclusion that, for a laptop, (and for a
    less-than-affluent person) you can't go past a second-hand ThinkPad sporting
    a Pentium M CPU.

    They're plenty powerful for most things folks want to do on a laptop (the
    faster ones as powerful as the faster Pentium 4s), they're very miserly when
    it comes to battery consumption, they're so well-built that a 3 / 4 year old
    ThinkPad is likely going to last longer than a new /anything/, they don't
    look flashy so are less likely to tempt thieves and, as a bonus, they have
    non-reflective 4:3 ratio screens.

    The modern laptops made in the last couple years are all designed to run
    Vista Aero. That "little bit extra power" required to do so that I've heard
    folks refer to requires some serious battery-sapping hardware that still
    sucks power even if Aero, or even Vista, is removed. God, Vista, and it's
    requirements was a real spanner in the works for laptop designers. It was
    even primarilly responsible (IMO) for creating the 'netbook' market.

    The way I see it, for less than the price of a new 'netbook' like an Eee you
    can have a 3 year old ThinkPad that has more CPU power, far better build
    quality, a real screen and keyboard and is powerful enough to take the place
    of most home computers (gaming aside).

    Since I've been running this R40 I've only turned on my heavy iron a couple
    times, and then only to transfer files. I'm also re-discovering and enjoying
    a few of my older games. I use it for playing my music and it's quite good.
    The only complaint I have is that there's no graphic equaliser in the driver
    / software so I can't compensate for the inherant non-musicality of my
    (gaming-oriented) 2+1 Logitech speakers as well as I could with my desktop.

    If I were in need of a more powerful laptop then I'd look at buying one of
    the few dual-core ~1 /2 year old ThinkPads that come up now and then (there
    haven't been a lot on the market, perhaps with the way things are now this
    will change). For the price of an entry-level 'plastic fantastic' you can
    get a serious bit of kit.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2008
  8. I agree, we where in KL for a few days and I lost the energy to find
    thinkpad having spend 2 months traveling overland from moscow.
    ASUS where half the price then in nz in KL but if I new the battery
    life was so poor I would have held off.
    I agree, the eee craze doesnt get me, we used an IPAQ on our travels
    with a USB stick that took the CF card from both the camera and the
    ipaq hence where able to update www.titahi-bay.co.nz/silkroute from
    internet cafes.
    John in Wembley, Dec 21, 2008
  9. John in Wembley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John in Wembley" typed:
    > I agree, we where in KL for a few days and I lost the energy to find
    > thinkpad having spend 2 months traveling overland from moscow.
    > ASUS where half the price then in nz in KL but if I new the battery
    > life was so poor I would have held off.

    Ahh, yeah, understandable then. :)

    > I agree, the eee craze doesnt get me, we used an IPAQ on our travels
    > with a USB stick that took the CF card from both the camera and the
    > ipaq hence where able to update www.titahi-bay.co.nz/silkroute from
    > internet cafes.

    It looks like you had a good trip. Very nice.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2008