Realtek AC'97 -- No audio device

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ned H., Apr 4, 2007.

  1. Ned H.

    Ned H. Guest

    I have an Abit AV9 MB with an Realtek AC'97 audio capability. Prior to
    installing x64 on the current machine, I had disabled the AC'97 in with the
    conventional XP Pro OS as I had a Creative sound card in the machine. Well
    that Creative sound card just failed and I would like to use the AC'97.

    I pulled the creative card. No sound cards showed up in the device manager
    that I could see. The "sound" controller from the control panel says no
    audio device is installed.

    So I did some quick research on the net to find that until recently there
    were no x64 drivers for the AC'97. So I downloaded and installed the
    latest drivers from the Realtek site. They are said to include a x64
    driver.

    After installation and a restart, still no audio device shows up. Unless
    the chip has failed, I suspect the problem might be that it was disabled
    when I installed this OS as an upgrade. But this is just speculation.

    Any thoughts on next stepts would be welcome.

    Ned H., Apr 4, 2007

  2. Ned H.

    Theo Guest

    1. What is the correct model number of your board? I
    cannot find an AV9.

    2. Did you re-enable the on-board sound in the BIOS?

    3. Did you download the correct driver for your sound chip?
    There are both AC'97 and HD drivers on the Realtek site.
    The AC'97 Win x64 drivers have been available for over 3
    years, I started using them with the beta version.

    Theo, Apr 4, 2007

  3. Hi, Ned.

    As Theo said, you need to enable the onboard audio in your BIOS. Until
    you've done that, Vista can't do anything with it. I've never had an Abit
    motherboard, so I don't know how to get into their BIOS utility. On my EPoX
    board with an Award BIOS, I press <Del> very early in the boot process,
    while it is detecting my hard drives and other hardware.

    My board also has Realtek AC'97 audio onboard. When Vista Setup first
    completed, there was no sound. But on the first visit to Windows Update -
    which happened automatically soon after Setup - Vista detected the Realtek,
    downloaded the driver, and installed it. Within minutes of Setup
    completion, I had sound. ;<)

    During the Vista beta period, about a year ago, I got tired of waiting for
    Creative to produce a 64-bit driver for my old SoundBlaster, so I retired
    the card, enabled onboard sound, and haven't been sorry. During the early
    beta, I had to download drivers (both 32-bit and 64-bit) from Realtek, but
    now the ones from WU are all I need.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Apr 4, 2007
  4. Ned H.

    Ned H. Guest

    Type: AV8.

    Bios? Didn't try that. Will take a look.

    I am sure I got the right drivers.

    Thanks, I'll check the bios and report back.

    Ned H., Apr 4, 2007
  5. Ned H.

    TJD Guest

    I did the exact same thing on my SuperMicro motherboard (AC'97 to SB to
    AC'97) and had to change a jumper on the motherboard to turn off AC'97 -
    there was no bios setting. So, you might check this too.

    TJD, Apr 4, 2007
  6. Ned H.

    Ned H. Guest

    Yeah, it was the bios. I had it disabled and forgot about it.

    How dumb!

    Ned H., Apr 4, 2007