realplayer update

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by STEVEjones, Oct 1, 2006.

  1. STEVEjones

    STEVEjones Guest

    Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
    update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
    computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
    is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
    and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
    right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
    saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
    down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
    report.

    Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
    first place?
    STEVEjones, Oct 1, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. STEVEjones

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
    <> wrote:

    >Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
    >update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
    >computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
    >is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
    >and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
    >right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
    >saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
    >down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
    >report.
    >
    >Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
    >first place?


    Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.

    Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.
    Evan Platt, Oct 1, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. STEVEjones

    John Holmes Guest

    STEVEjones "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is
    > an update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it
    > jams up my computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the
    > internet, which is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then
    > nothing t all happens and the boc stays in the middle of my screen.
    > Finally I click on the top right hand corner and nothing happens. A
    > few minutes later I get a message saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE
    > encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. This is followed
    > with a question asking me if I want to send an error report.
    >
    > Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in
    > the first place?
    >
    >
    >


    Uninstall RP.

    --
    Your mother was a rat-faced dunce who couldn't find her bra on a canal
    boat.
    John Holmes, Oct 1, 2006
    #3
  4. STEVEjones

    STEVEjones Guest

    Yes thats ok but it does'nt answer the question. I don't want the hassle to
    remove something then download something else thats likely to cause as much
    if not more hassle in the future. Do you have any idea how I can stop this
    update box popping up?

    By the way, I have Windows XP, just what other players are there that I
    migth want to have a look at?


    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > STEVEjones "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is
    >> an update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it
    >> jams up my computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the
    >> internet, which is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then
    >> nothing t all happens and the boc stays in the middle of my screen.
    >> Finally I click on the top right hand corner and nothing happens. A
    >> few minutes later I get a message saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE
    >> encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. This is followed
    >> with a question asking me if I want to send an error report.
    >>
    >> Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in
    >> the first place?
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Uninstall RP.
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a rat-faced dunce who couldn't find her bra on a canal
    > boat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    STEVEjones, Oct 1, 2006
    #4
  5. STEVEjones

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:14:06 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
    >>update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
    >>computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
    >>is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
    >>and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
    >>right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
    >>saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
    >>down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
    >>report.
    >>
    >>Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
    >>first place?

    >
    >Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.
    >
    >Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.


    How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~
    Americans killed in Iraq as of September 30, 2006 is 2713. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 117.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 1, 2006
    #5
  6. STEVEjones

    elaich Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    news::

    > How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    > radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    > to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.


    Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.

    www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    elaich, Oct 1, 2006
    #6
  7. STEVEjones

    STEVEjones Guest

    Have you personally uninstalled Realplayer? Is it as striaght forward as
    going to "ADD REMOVE" in CONTROL PANEL? The last time I uninstalled
    something horrible was Norton Antivirus, and it simply would not take all
    its bits when it left.


    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    >> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    >> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

    >
    > Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.
    >
    > www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    STEVEjones, Oct 1, 2006
    #7
  8. STEVEjones

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On 1 Oct 2006 20:18:47 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    >> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    >> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

    >
    >Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.
    >
    >www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm


    That does not work. Every time you click on "click here to listen to
    WSUI" it reinstalls RealPlayer and refuses to play in anything else.
    I have tried to get it to play Mediaplayer.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~
    Americans killed in Iraq as of September 30, 2006 is 2713. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 117.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 1, 2006
    #8
  9. STEVEjones

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:26:19 +0100, "STEVEjones"
    <> wrote:

    >Have you personally uninstalled Realplayer? Is it as striaght forward as
    >going to "ADD REMOVE" in CONTROL PANEL? The last time I uninstalled
    >something horrible was Norton Antivirus, and it simply would not take all
    >its bits when it left.
    >
    >
    >"elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    >> news::
    >>
    >>> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    >>> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    >>> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

    >>
    >> Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.
    >>
    >> www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

    >


    Yes, many times when I was fighting with the computer we had in the
    bedroom. I figured if I uninstalled it then it might open in another
    player or at the very least get a clean new start on RealPlayer

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~
    Americans killed in Iraq as of September 30, 2006 is 2713. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 117.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 1, 2006
    #9
  10. GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:14:06 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
    >>> update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
    >>> computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
    >>> is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
    >>> and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
    >>> right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
    >>> saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
    >>> down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
    >>> report.
    >>>
    >>> Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
    >>> first place?

    >> Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.
    >>
    >> Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.

    >
    > How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    > radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    > to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.
    >


    Are you sure it was a 'real' streaming protocol? or just a streaming
    music file that was being opened by realplayer by default.

    Personally, like another of the respondants, I use Mediaplayer Classic
    with 'Real Alternative' in fact , if you get the K-Lite Mega Codec, you
    can play just about ANYthing, including the codecs for Quicktime Pro
    (save your $30!)

    I also recommend foobar2000 (foobar2000.org) it's light on resources,
    fast as lightening, plays a zillion different audio types, and is free.

    I love it for m3u streaming.
    Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter, Oct 2, 2006
    #10
  11. STEVEjones wrote:
    > Yes thats ok but it does'nt answer the question. I don't want the hassle to
    > remove something then download something else thats likely to cause as much
    > if not more hassle in the future. Do you have any idea how I can stop this
    > update box popping up?
    >

    You're not getting it.

    Realplayer is a piece of crap. Ditch it. It's slow, clogs resources and
    buggy as hell (hence your post)

    Check #2 on the list after click the link below:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125772-page,2/article.html


    Get the free codecs.
    'Real Alternative' is a great program to use instead of RP,

    you can ONLY go up from Realplayer (realjunk)
    Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter, Oct 2, 2006
    #11
  12. STEVEjones

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 01:58:48 GMT, Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter
    <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:14:06 -0700, Evan Platt
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
    >>>> update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
    >>>> computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
    >>>> is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
    >>>> and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
    >>>> right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
    >>>> saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
    >>>> down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
    >>>> report.
    >>>>
    >>>> Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
    >>>> first place?
    >>> Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.
    >>>
    >>> Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.

    >>
    >> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
    >> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
    >> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.
    >>

    >
    >Are you sure it was a 'real' streaming protocol? or just a streaming
    >music file that was being opened by realplayer by default.
    >
    >Personally, like another of the respondants, I use Mediaplayer Classic
    >with 'Real Alternative' in fact , if you get the K-Lite Mega Codec, you
    >can play just about ANYthing, including the codecs for Quicktime Pro
    >(save your $30!)
    >
    >I also recommend foobar2000 (foobar2000.org) it's light on resources,
    >fast as lightening, plays a zillion different audio types, and is free.
    >
    >I love it for m3u streaming.


    Check it out for yourself at http://wsui.uiowa.edu/
    Then click on Listen to WSUI.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~
    Americans killed in Iraq as of September 30, 2006 is 2713. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 117.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 2, 2006
    #12
  13. <snip>

    > Check it out for yourself at http://wsui.uiowa.edu/
    > Then click on Listen to WSUI.


    Works fine, I'm listening to WSUI right now... streaming .ram on Real Alt.

    Firefox asks me if I want to open the streaming .ram with the default
    app (realalt) and then I click yes.
    Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter, Oct 2, 2006
    #13
  14. PS

    My parents are from Iowa! (Independence and Ft. Dodge)
    Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter, Oct 2, 2006
    #14
  15. STEVEjones

    Daave Guest

    STEVEjones wrote:
    > Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is
    > an update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it
    > jams up my computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the
    > internet, which is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then
    > nothing t all happens and the boc stays in the middle of my screen.
    > Finally I click on the top right hand corner and nothing happens. A
    > few minutes later I get a message saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE
    > encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. This is followed
    > with a question asking me if I want to send an error report.
    >
    > Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in
    > the first place?


    Suave offered good advice.

    If you want to play with Real Player's settings however, I believe the
    following will work for you:

    Go to Tools>Preferences>Automatic Services. Go to Message Center (at the
    left panel), click to "Configure Message Center", and uncheck "Check for
    new messages."

    Go to Tools>Preferences>AutoUpdate. Uncheck "Automatically download and
    install important updates."

    And you may or may not need to disable a startup entry in msconfig
    called TkBellExe (realsched.exe).

    --
    Dave
    Daave, Oct 2, 2006
    #15
  16. STEVEjones

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 02:21:14 GMT, Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter
    <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    >> Check it out for yourself at http://wsui.uiowa.edu/
    >> Then click on Listen to WSUI.

    >
    >Works fine, I'm listening to WSUI right now... streaming .ram on Real Alt.
    >
    >Firefox asks me if I want to open the streaming .ram with the default
    >app (realalt) and then I click yes.


    Okay.
    I just installed it.
    I did the same thing as you.
    However, right now I am hearing the same audio twice with about a one
    second delay between them. That makes it come through with quite a bit
    of static.
    Suggestions?


    Oops!
    I stopped it for about 30 seconds or so while typing the above
    paragraph. Then I clicked on "Play" again, and now it is fine. Now
    that is strange.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    ~
    Americans killed in Iraq as of October 2, 2006 is 2718. United Kingdom = 119 Other = 117.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 2, 2006
    #16
  17. STEVEjones

    Frosty Guest

    Re: PS

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Mon, 02 Oct
    2006 02:28:03 GMT, and who should I see posting but Suave ShamPoo Poo
    Platter <>! I could scarely
    believe Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter
    <> would remark:

    >My parents are from Iowa! (Independence and Ft. Dodge)



    That explains you then.
    Frosty, Oct 2, 2006
    #17
  18. Re: PS

    <snip>
    > That explains you then.


    Don't you have an appointment with the Sun?
    Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter, Oct 2, 2006
    #18
  19. STEVEjones

    Muse Guest

    <snip>
    > Oops!
    > I stopped it for about 30 seconds or so while typing the above
    > paragraph. Then I clicked on "Play" again, and now it is fine. Now
    > that is strange.


    It was the departed spirit of Realplayer causing havoc! It's always
    trying to come back!
    Muse, Oct 2, 2006
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rob

    realplayer 10

    Rob, Jul 11, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    842
    Mueen Nawaz
    Jul 13, 2004
  2. Marek Williams

    Firefox/RealPlayer/Linux/64-bits

    Marek Williams, Dec 31, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    4,230
    Marek Williams
    Jan 11, 2006
  3. Marek Williams

    64-bit Ubuntu, Firefox 1.07, and RealPlayer

    Marek Williams, Jan 8, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    6,808
    Jedi Fans
    Jan 8, 2006
  4. Malik

    how can i play realplayer file

    Malik, Jul 3, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    734
    Malik
    Jul 3, 2003
  5. Graham

    RealPlayer update

    Graham, Mar 25, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    782
    Graham
    Mar 29, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page