    something else, I'd like to hear it because RealOne has to be the biggest
    parasite out there! It wants to take over EVERYTHING! This is for a Windows
    operating system 98 SE. Thanks for your advice.

    Viewasku1977, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Viewasku1977

    trout Guest

    Viewasku1977 wrote:

    > Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne and then downloaded
    > some videos but when you right click on them to get them to play, the
    > only options given are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP and when
    > you select WMP, a message pops up saying it won't work because the
    > files aren't recognized! If anyone knows how to get rid of RealOne
    > once and for all, and to get them to open in something else, I'd
    > like to hear it because RealOne has to be the biggest parasite out
    > there! It wants to take over EVERYTHING! This is for a Windows
    > operating system 98 SE. Thanks for your advice.

    What's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
    could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the format,
    and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
    I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
    recommended for these kinds of files:
    http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
    --
    "Have a look."

    trout, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    >hat's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
    >could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the format,
    >and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
    > I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
    >recommended for these kinds of files:
    >http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
    >--
    >"Have a look."
    >

    >hat's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
    >could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the format,
    >and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
    > I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
    >recommended for these kinds of files:
    >http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
    >--
    >"Have a look."

    I tried the link and when I click "download now" a sign in box pops up wanting
    a password. There's no mention of this on the site. The original files seem
    to be .ra files (real files) but I thought there was a way to convert them?

    Viewasku1977, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Viewasku1977

    trout Guest

    Viewasku1977 wrote:

    >> What's the file extension of the videos you're trying to play? It
    >> could be that WMP just *doesn't* recognize them, because of the
    >> format,
    >> and it doesn't matter what else is (or isn't) installed.
    >> I haven't used it yet; but I often see the Real Alternative player
    >> recommended for these kinds of files:
    >> http://www.soft32.com/download_11098.html
    >> --
    >> "Have a look."

    > I tried the link and when I click "download now" a sign in box pops
    > up wanting a password. There's no mention of this on the site. The
    > original files seem to be .ra files (real files) but I thought there
    > was a way to convert them?

    Whoops. Sorry about that. Here's a link that works.
    <http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm>

    And, sorry again, but I don't know of a program that will convert
    Real files.
    --
    "Maybe, try asking in alt.comp.freeware."

    trout, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Viewasku1977

    Richard Guest

    Viewasku1977 wrote:

    > Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne and then downloaded
    > some videos
    > but when you right click on them to get them to play, the only options
    > given
    > are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP and when you select WMP, a
    > message
    > pops up saying it won't work because the files aren't recognized! If
    > anyone
    > knows how to get rid of RealOne once and for all, and to get them to
    > open in
    > something else, I'd like to hear it because RealOne has to be the
    > biggest
    > parasite out there! It wants to take over EVERYTHING! This is for a
    > Windows
    > operating system 98 SE. Thanks for your advice.

    Basic mistake made by most people is during install.
    They just blindly click ok and go onto the next screen.
    To make real player like any other viewer, UNCHECK everything.
    Do not accept anything blindly without reading the choices first.
    Once you do that, "Real" becomes another viewer.

    Richard, Nov 7, 2003
  6. "trout" <> writes:

    > And, sorry again, but I don't know of a program that will convert
    > Real files.

    If you're interested, trout, meet me in the forest, I may have
    something for you.

    --
    Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of humanity. -
    Einstein

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Viewasku1977

    trout Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > "trout" <> writes:
    >
    >> And, sorry again, but I don't know of a program that will convert
    >> Real files.

    > If you're interested, trout, meet me in the forest, I may have
    > something for you.

    Picnic basket packed.
    --
    "My, isn't being oblique fun?"

    trout, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Viewasku1977

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On 06 Nov 2003 07:08:20 GMT, ojuno (Viewasku1977)
    wrote:

    >Just upgraded our computer and removed RealOne

    If all you did was use the add/remove applet in Control Panel, no you
    didn't remove RO... It requires registry work to remove completely.

    >and then downloaded some videos but when you right click on them to get them
    >to play, the only options given are to open in RealOne and to open in WMP
    >and when you select WMP, a message pops up saying it won't work because the
    >files aren't recognized!

    WMP doesn't play files in Real form (.RA .RAM etc). They'll have to
    be converted to play in WMP. TINRA should convert them - slowly.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 7, 2003
  9. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    >If all you did was use the add/remove applet in Control Panel, no you
    >didn't remove RO... It requires registry work to remove completely.

    Interesting. What would I be looking for in the registry? I'd like to delete
    the whole thing not because I'm all that concerned about privacy issues, but
    because nothing I view seems to want to work with settings as they are now.
    I'd like a clean slate to start over and see where things went wrong.

    Viewasku1977, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Viewasku1977

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On 07 Nov 2003 17:12:41 GMT, ojuno (Viewasku1977)
    wrote:

    >>If all you did was use the add/remove applet in Control Panel, no you
    >>didn't remove RO... It requires registry work to remove completely.
    >>

    >Interesting. What would I be looking for in the registry? I'd like to delete
    >the whole thing not because I'm all that concerned about privacy issues, but
    >because nothing I view seems to want to work with settings as they are now.
    >I'd like a clean slate to start over and see where things went wrong.

    In an ideal situation, you'd use something like an installation
    manager (InCtrl5 goes on every Win9x system I use). Lacking that,
    however, use RegEdit to search your registry for "real" and you'll see
    just how insidious it is

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 8, 2003
  11. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    >In an ideal situation, you'd use something like an installation
    >manager (InCtrl5 goes on every Win9x system I use). Lacking that,
    >however, use RegEdit to search your registry for "real" and you'll see
    >just how insidious it is

    Did an 'edit' search in the registry for "real" and came up with this in the
    right corner:

    (Default) "Real Jukebox ACP.1"
    Content Type "audio/x-mei-aac"

    Should I erase both? Is there anything else I should look for, or will using
    the 'edit-search' option find everything?

    Viewasku1977, Nov 11, 2003
  12. Viewasku1977

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On 11 Nov 2003 04:51:44 GMT, ojuno (Viewasku1977)
    wrote:

    >>In an ideal situation, you'd use something like an installation
    >>manager (InCtrl5 goes on every Win9x system I use). Lacking that,
    >>however, use RegEdit to search your registry for "real" and you'll see
    >>just how insidious it is
    >>

    >Did an 'edit' search in the registry for "real" and came up with this in the
    >right corner:
    >
    >(Default) "Real Jukebox ACP.1"
    >Content Type "audio/x-mei-aac"
    >
    >Should I erase both? Is there anything else I should look for, or will using
    >the 'edit-search' option find everything?

    I would remove the first for sure (unless you're still using real
    jukebox)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 12, 2003
  13. Viewasku1977

    Harrison Guest

    Completely uninstall real one and try this.
    http://tinyurl.com/unff

    Harrison, Nov 12, 2003
  14. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    >Completely uninstall real one and try this.
    >http://tinyurl.com/unff

    Thanks for the link. I'd love to completely remove realone, but I haven't been
    successful so far. I've gone to add/remove and removed all traces of real
    products. I've gone to the startups and removed all traces of real to upload
    on start, and finally I did a search for the "evntsrc.exe" and "rndal.exe"
    files that keep TKBellExe loading on startup. Windows found nothing. Yet when
    I click on a media file, windows media player won't open properly. It appears
    to still be conflicting somehow with some leftover files of real.

    Any direction you can give to get rid of RealOne once and for all from my
    system, would greatly be appreciated!

    Viewasku1977, Nov 12, 2003
  15. Viewasku1977

    Harrison Guest