    call a friend from Paris to Japan? (i don't mean via computer, but with
    a PC switched off)
    thank you

    Robert, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Robert

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Robert <> wrote:
    > dear all, i've a DSL line (active 24 hours), if i buy an IP-phone, can i
    > call a friend from Paris to Japan? (i don't mean via computer, but with
    > a PC switched off)

    Sure, if you have a router and your ISP doesn't block it.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Palestine

    Miguel Cruz, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Robert

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > dear all, i've a DSL line (active 24 hours), if i buy an IP-phone, can i
    > call a friend from Paris to Japan? (i don't mean via computer, but with
    > a PC switched off)
    > thank you

    You can use an IP phone or an analog telephone adapter plugged into your
    router with the computer turned off or on. If you want to call him for
    free, you can both sign-up for a free service like Free World Dial Up (FWD).
    Your friend will have to have his computer on if he uses a softphone, or
    will have to have an IP phone or ATA and analog phone. If you want to call
    him over the internet to his plain old telephone, you will have to establish
    an account with a provider. The call will be much less expensive, but
    probably not free

    Vox Humana, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    i've a router: so i just have to plug my (future) IP phone into the router ?
    Thanks

    Robert, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Robert

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Robert <> wrote:
    > i've a router: so i just have to plug my (future) IP phone into the router ?

    Yes, then the easiest thing is probably for you and your friend to sign up
    for free numbers at FWD and configure your IP phones for that.

    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Robert

    supreme voip Guest

    Hi Robert!

    I'm actually using a VoiP system that allow me to talk without using my
    computer. The only thing you need is an ATA device, an internet
    connection (not lower than 256k) and an ordinary analog telephone.
    The company that is offering this is
    www.telextreme.com/181066/

    You can check this and then to decide if it will work for you.
    I can tell you that I'm so happy using it, I'm calling all around the
    globe without worring about my phone bill, the connection is great and
    I can use my ATA wherever I go!

    Please check out this opportunity for complete details at:
    www.telextreme.com/181066/
    or E-mail me at with any questions.

    Best Wishes,
    Supreme Voip