    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 9, 2009

  2. §ñühw¤£f

    Aragorn Guest

    On Friday 09 October 2009 23:34 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
    §ñühw¤£f wrote...

    > So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu
    > tested by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via
    > the "create big folder" on windows.

    That's because you're either not using the proper tools or you're using
    the wrong distribution. You mention "Zevenos" - I have never heard of
    it before. Perhaps you should try a "mint" flavor of any of the Ubuntu

    > But would it boot?
    > Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The
    > included uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
    >
    > ^_^
    >
    > Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to
    > support with the linuxes.

    Don't know. Look at the hardware and do your research. If it requires
    proprietary drivers - other than the habitual nVidia/Ati-AMD video
    drivers or an occasional WiFi driver that can be made to work
    using /ndiswrapper/ - my advice is not to buy it.

    If you willingly buy hardware of which it is abundantly clear that the
    manufacturer only wishes to support Windows and even has measures in
    place to ensure that it will indeed only run Windows, then the
    responsibility is yours, not that of the Linux kernel developers or the
    GNU/Linux distributors.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
    Aragorn, Oct 9, 2009

  3. §ñühw¤£f

    Mike Easter Guest

    snuhwolf wrote:
    > So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu

    tested
    > by lots of devs and users...heh.

    ZevenOS isn't actually a part of the genuine 'buntu family such as Ub,
    Kub, Xub, the upcoming Lubuntu and others. Lub will employ the LXDE
    desktop efficiently as opposed to the heavier Xub which employs the XFCE
    desktop and/but Xub doesn't do it very efficiently.

    ZevenOS is a German XFCE off of Ub^1 which isn't really adequately
    developed and hasn't been reviewed in English.

    > Zevenos would only install via the
    > "create big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
    > Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The
    > included uninstaller worked *perfectly*.

    > Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to
    > support with the linuxes.

    Results of Dell D600 testing by the Ub teams thru' Feisty Fawn 7.04
    http://snipr.com/sfdgm LaptopTestingTeam/DellLatitudeD600

    Guide to linux on the d600 at linlap
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/dell latitude d600 Linux support for the
    D600 is excellent.

    ^1 ZevenOS is an Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux distribution with focus on
    providing a fast and easy-to-use system with BeOS-like user interface
    and support for older hardware. The distribution is built on top of a
    recent Linux kernel and includes a large number of popular open-source
    software applications for office use, multimedia playback and software
    development. ZevenOS also ships with MAGI, a tool for starting
    applications and managing the system.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 9, 2009
  4. §ñühw¤£f

    chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
    > by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the
    > "create big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
    > Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The
    > included uninstaller worked *perfectly*.

    I'm not sure by your vagueness, but it *sounds* like you tried to install
    linux into a Microsoft partition. Something that *can* work, but is far
    less efficient and kludgy than real linux. As for it "booting", well that
    would have to happen inside whatever OS you had originally as there would
    be no separate partition to boot.

    Shut off your swap file, defragment your drive shrink it with the tools
    that come with linux and create a 1GB swap partition and at least 5GB for
    the ext3 partition. *then* install linux. Uninstalling would require
    running a live CD and using cfdisk to remove the partitions afterwards
    followed by rewriting the MBR.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 9, 2009
  5. chucktard wrote:

    > As for it "booting", well that would have to happen inside whatever OS
    > you had originally as there would be no separate partition to boot.

    CtS, look up "Wubi".

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 10, 2009
  6. On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 19:19:58 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > chucktard wrote:
    >
    >> As for it "booting", well that would have to happen inside whatever OS
    >> you had originally as there would be no separate partition to boot.

    > CtS, look up "Wubi".

    That's what I thought. A wubi install of Zevenos.
    Who knows, maybe the OP will post again in his native language.
    Maybe then somebody could understand what he is talking about.
    jellybean stonerfish, Oct 10, 2009
  7. §ñühw¤£f

    Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support with
    >the linuxes.

    I had a Dell D500 Lattitude, grab the service manual for your computer
    (while it's available), it will also mention what programs you need or
    are available for linux.

    My starting page for the D500 service manual.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd510/en/sm/index.htm

    --

    Those country boys...
    http://imgur.com/eLFPa

    Must be photoshop'd, no bullet holes.
    , Oct 10, 2009
  8. §ñühw¤£f

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-10-09, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
    > by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the "create
    > big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
    > Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The included
    > uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
    >
    > ^_^
    >
    > Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support
    > with the linuxes.
    >
    > Bummer.

    Not all that hard, for some people at least:
    <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=dell+600+linux&o=312&l=dir&siteid=&dm=all&jss=0>.

    Hardware faults are always a possibility with older computers.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 10, 2009
  9. In message <>, Whiskers
    wrote:
    > On 2009-10-09, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > > So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
    > > by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the

    > "create
    > > big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
    > > Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The

    > included
    > > uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
    > >
    > > ^_^
    > >
    > > Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support
    > > with the linuxes.
    > >
    > > Bummer.

    > Not all that hard, for some people at least:
    > <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=dell+600+linux&o=312&l=dir&siteid=&dm=all&jss=0>.
    >
    > Hardware faults are always a possibility with older computers.

    Thanks...I'm thinking maybe it was a faulty download since it get an error
    "cant boot from cd" when I try the ZevenOs on my desktop as well. And Nero
    complains about the file size not being the same when you burn image.
    My isp isnt very good about not dumping you part way thru a download of a big
    file. And 600mb's is big apparently.
    :(

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 10, 2009
  10. §ñühw¤£f

    Mike Easter Guest

    snuhwolf wrote:

    > Thanks...I'm thinking maybe it was a faulty download since it get an
    > error "cant boot from cd" when I try the ZevenOs on my desktop as

    well.
    > And Nero complains about the file size not being the same when you

    burn
    > image.
    > My isp isnt very good about not dumping you part way thru a download

    of
    > a big file. And 600mb's is big apparently.

    Before you burn the CD iso there's an md5 to check.

    Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check the
    CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 10, 2009
  11. In message <>, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:34:45 -0600, ???hw??f
    > <>wrote:
    >
    > >So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
    > >by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the "create
    > >big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
    > >Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The included
    > >uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
    > >
    > >^_^
    > >
    > >Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support

    > with
    > >the linuxes.
    > >
    > >Bummer.

    > Pioneer Linux

    Heh...d00d! I just FUBAR'd my xp install with puppy linux!
    Following the instructions here:
    http://www.puppylinux.org/manuals/puppy-40/english/how-install-puppy/frugal-inst
    allation

    And trying some different combinations to resolve it and I'm left with a lovely
    Grub Error 17...still.

    LULZ! Linux...

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 10, 2009
  12. In message <>, "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > snuhwolf wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks...I'm thinking maybe it was a faulty download since it get an
    > > error "cant boot from cd" when I try the ZevenOs on my desktop as

    > well.
    > > And Nero complains about the file size not being the same when you

    > burn
    > > image.
    > > My isp isnt very good about not dumping you part way thru a download

    > of
    > > a big file. And 600mb's is big apparently.

    > Before you burn the CD iso there's an md5 to check.
    >
    > Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check the
    > CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r

    Well the lappys dead in the water now so I'm prolly going to have to wipe
    everything and start over.

    ****.

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 10, 2009
  13. §ñühw¤£f

    Mike Easter Guest

    snuhwolf wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" wrote:

    >> Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check

    the
    >> CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r
    >>

    > Well the lappys dead in the water now so I'm prolly going to have to
    > wipe everything and start over.

    That sounds like a good plan to me. Are you planning on dual booting
    the LT or just linux?

    Why not use a distro which has more people with experience using your
    hardware?

    The link I gave you earlier from linlap
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/dell latitude d600 have a look at our guides
    section for distribution specific instructions.

    .... has some useful aids for particular distros.

    Here are some snippages from the comments section at that link...

    <snip>
    ubuntu works great.

    installed opensuse 11.1 ... just comment out the virtual options in the
    screen section of xorg and it works a treat. This was after I had tried
    EVERYTHING I possibly could to get the thing to co-operate.

    installed Fedora 9 on my D600 about a month ago-haven't had any
    problems.

    Ubuntu 8.04 (I noticed no issues since 7.04.) runs out of the box.

    I've installed and stably run PCLinuxOS 2007 (2.6.x) on a Latitude D600
    since December 2007. Installed an ran "out of the box" on hardware
    configured as in the article.
    </snip>

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 10, 2009
  14. [Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:16:32 -0600] §ñühw¤£f je napisao/la:
    >> > Thanks...I'm thinking maybe it was a faulty download since it get an
    >> > error "cant boot from cd" when I try the ZevenOs on my desktop as

    >> well.
    >> > And Nero complains about the file size not being the same when you

    >> burn
    >> > image.
    >> > My isp isnt very good about not dumping you part way thru a download

    >> of
    >> > a big file. And 600mb's is big apparently.

    >> Before you burn the CD iso there's an md5 to check.
    >>
    >> Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check the
    >> CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r
    >>

    > Well the lappys dead in the water now so I'm prolly going to have to wipe
    > everything and start over.
    >
    > ****.

    You know, you are guilty for that. You either picked the wrong partition,
    made boot partition too far for BIOS to read boot sector from if the machine
    is too old (some old BIOS boot systems can't boot if the partition is more
    than 2GB from the start of the disk), or you're just plain incompetent.

    So, after reading some of your posts here for the last few days I'd say the
    problem isn't Linux (and it has its flaws, no doubt about it) it's your
    incompetence. You either can't read, haven't done your homework or don't have
    enough brain capacity to understand some basic things about computers.

    The computer is the most complicated machine you will probably be operating
    in your life. No matter what Windows tells you, it will never be an
    appliance. If you wish to DIY such things place your butt in the chair and
    start learning instead of bitching.

    No, Windows wouldn't boot the system either if it were to boot from 2G+
    offset partition on some old BIOS motherboards. No, Windows installation
    would destroy the boot manager other than Microsoft MBR. Etc, etc, etc.

    And, no, Windows installations aren't simpler, they usually come
    preinstalled on brand new computers and people mostly haven't a clue
    how to install them either. It's not Windows or Linux, it's about people who
    are too lazy, ignorant and incompetent.

    Have a nice day.

    --
    You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
    Davorin Vlahovic, Oct 11, 2009
  15. §ñühw¤£f

    Mike Easter Guest

    Davorin Vlahovic wrote:
    > And, no, Windows installations aren't simpler, they usually come
    > preinstalled on brand new computers and people mostly haven't a clue
    > how to install them either. It's not Windows or Linux, it's about
    > people who are too lazy, ignorant and incompetent.

    But the real life situation is that most people don't want to give a
    computer even the same 'respect' that they give an automobile's
    operation.

    That is, while we expect everyone to know where the engine is, what a
    battery is, what a radiator is and what water or coolant is for and the
    fact that oil has some kind of function but the gasoline goes into the
    gas tank, and that not only that, there are electrical devices and fuses
    and 'appliances' in the auto that need to be configured or handled
    correctly....

    .... there is no such 'interest' in learning similar things about a
    computer's configuration.

    People feel that a computer is supposed to be like a TV or a telephone.
    You just pick it up and keypad a number or turn it on and click the
    remote and 'it just works'. You aren't supposed to know about the parts
    of those appliances.

    People want their computer to be like their TV or telephone; not as
    complicated as all of the systems as an automobile.

    They don't want to install an operating system. They don't want to
    understand problems about drivers. They don't even want any complexity
    to installing or reconfiguring anything about what they have; with the
    possible exception of clicking a link to install some new plugin,
    application, or toolbar. Most people keep the same configuration that
    their computer came from the store with.

    They have no capacity for repairing the registry if it should get
    bolloxed. They have no interest in understanding that there is a
    windows registry or even a file system. They expect their computer to
    work just like their TV or telephone does; they turn it on, the screen
    lights up and it gets the channel or website or email they want. That's
    all they want to know. They don't want to know anything about coolant
    or oil or gascap or battery or engine compartment or trunk or even the
    back seat.

    It is really strange how all that works.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 11, 2009
  16. [Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:38:54 -0700] Mike Easter je napisao/la:
    > They don't want to install an operating system. They don't want to
    > understand problems about drivers. They don't even want any complexity
    > to installing or reconfiguring anything about what they have; with the
    > possible exception of clicking a link to install some new plugin,
    > application, or toolbar. Most people keep the same configuration that
    > their computer came from the store with.
    >
    > They have no capacity for repairing the registry if it should get
    > bolloxed. They have no interest in understanding that there is a
    > windows registry or even a file system. They expect their computer to
    > work just like their TV or telephone does; they turn it on, the screen
    > lights up and it gets the channel or website or email they want. That's
    > all they want to know. They don't want to know anything about coolant
    > or oil or gascap or battery or engine compartment or trunk or even the
    > back seat.

    They aren't supposed to. They aren't supposed to install/upgrade the engine
    in a car, they aren't supposed to maintain the electrical systems, etc., etc.

    They go to the repair shop for those things. Computers should be the same.
    Someone who doesn't understand (and/or doesnt't want to understand) what a
    process is, what ACLs are, what config files are and how they are structured
    he/she shouldn't be messing with those things, just like they shouldn't be
    messing with the breaking fluid.

    But if they are willing to do those things let them learn how to do them.
    Bitching how righty-tighty, lefty-loosy is counter-"intuitive" to them is
    moronic.

    > It is really strange how all that works.

    Actually, people don't surprise me anymore. Sad thing is, I've come to expect
    idiotic things which could be remedied by just taking five minutes one-on-one
    time with google or by buying a nice book and reading it.

    --
    You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
    Davorin Vlahovic, Oct 11, 2009
  17. In message <>, "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > snuhwolf wrote:
    > > "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > >> Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check

    > the
    > >> CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r
    > >>

    > > Well the lappys dead in the water now so I'm prolly going to have to
    > > wipe everything and start over.

    > That sounds like a good plan to me. Are you planning on dual booting
    > the LT or just linux?

    AT this point, dual booting with XP is too much of a hassle.
    Just going to be a linbox for now.

    > Why not use a distro which has more people with experience using your
    > hardware?
    >
    > The link I gave you earlier from linlap
    > http://www.linlap.com/wiki/dell latitude d600 have a look at our guides
    > section for distribution specific instructions.

    Bookmarked it :)

    > .... has some useful aids for particular distros.
    >
    > Here are some snippages from the comments section at that link...
    >
    > <snip>
    > ubuntu works great.
    >
    > installed opensuse 11.1 ... just comment out the virtual options in the
    > screen section of xorg and it works a treat. This was after I had tried
    > EVERYTHING I possibly could to get the thing to co-operate.

    The driver for the ATI card is not just big but runs two executables under
    windows, getting it "just right" in linux will take some patience.
    There should be a pill for that ;)

    > installed Fedora 9 on my D600 about a month ago-haven't had any
    > problems.
    >
    > Ubuntu 8.04 (I noticed no issues since 7.04.) runs out of the box.
    >
    > I've installed and stably run PCLinuxOS 2007 (2.6.x) on a Latitude D600
    > since December 2007. Installed an ran "out of the box" on hardware
    > configured as in the article.
    > </snip>

    Neato. I think I'll stick with Mepis 7.0 beta2 until I can find a way to get
    another full-size distro downloaded successfuly.

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 11, 2009
  18. In message <>, Davorin Vlahovic wrote:
    > >> well.
    > >> burn
    > >> of
    > >>
    > >> Before you burn the CD iso there's an md5 to check.
    > >>
    > >> Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check the
    > >> CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r
    > >>

    > > Well the lappys dead in the water now so I'm prolly going to have to wipe
    > > everything and start over.
    > >
    > > ****.

    > You know, you are guilty for that. You either picked the wrong partition,
    > made boot partition too far for BIOS to read boot sector from if the machine
    > is too old (some old BIOS boot systems can't boot if the partition is more
    > than 2GB from the start of the disk), or you're just plain incompetent.
    >
    > So, after reading some of your posts here for the last few days I'd say the
    > problem isn't Linux (and it has its flaws, no doubt about it) it's your
    > incompetence. You either can't read, haven't done your homework or don't
    > have
    > enough brain capacity to understand some basic things about computers.
    >
    > The computer is the most complicated machine you will probably be operating
    > in your life. No matter what Windows tells you, it will never be an
    > appliance. If you wish to DIY such things place your butt in the chair and
    > start learning instead of bitching.
    >
    > No, Windows wouldn't boot the system either if it were to boot from 2G+
    > offset partition on some old BIOS motherboards. No, Windows installation
    > would destroy the boot manager other than Microsoft MBR. Etc, etc, etc.
    >
    > And, no, Windows installations aren't simpler, they usually come
    > preinstalled on brand new computers and people mostly haven't a clue
    > how to install them either. It's not Windows or Linux, it's about people who
    > are too lazy, ignorant and incompetent.
    >
    > Have a nice day.

    Suck my nuts, bitch.

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 11, 2009
  19. In message <>, Davorin Vlahovic wrote:
    > [Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:38:54 -0700] Mike Easter je napisao/la:
    > > They don't want to install an operating system. They don't want to
    > > understand problems about drivers. They don't even want any complexity
    > > to installing or reconfiguring anything about what they have; with the
    > > possible exception of clicking a link to install some new plugin,
    > > application, or toolbar. Most people keep the same configuration that
    > > their computer came from the store with.
    > >
    > > They have no capacity for repairing the registry if it should get
    > > bolloxed. They have no interest in understanding that there is a
    > > windows registry or even a file system. They expect their computer to
    > > work just like their TV or telephone does; they turn it on, the screen
    > > lights up and it gets the channel or website or email they want. That's
    > > all they want to know. They don't want to know anything about coolant
    > > or oil or gascap or battery or engine compartment or trunk or even the
    > > back seat.

    > They aren't supposed to. They aren't supposed to install/upgrade the engine
    > in a car, they aren't supposed to maintain the electrical systems, etc.,
    > etc.
    >
    > They go to the repair shop for those things. Computers should be the same.
    > Someone who doesn't understand (and/or doesnt't want to understand) what a
    > process is, what ACLs are, what config files are and how they are structured
    > he/she shouldn't be messing with those things, just like they shouldn't be
    > messing with the breaking fluid.

    The "BREAKING FLUID"???
    BUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I bet yer qualified to work on EBS systems too huh?

    > But if they are willing to do those things let them learn how to do them.
    > Bitching how righty-tighty, lefty-loosy is counter-"intuitive" to them is
    > moronic.

    Pull the lugs on any f-series driverside diff, how?
    LULZ.

    > > It is really strange how all that works.

    > Actually, people don't surprise me anymore. Sad thing is, I've come to
    > expect
    > idiotic things which could be remedied by just taking five minutes
    > one-on-one
    > time with google or by buying a nice book and reading it.

    Sure, you do fucknuckle. Ive been playing with linux since RH 8 came out.
    It's improved in some areas but its still not on-par with windows for support
    for hardware (blame the manufactureres, right) or on ease of set up.
    I can do a winbox in half an hour whereas a linux install requires several
    additional tweaks for the network, hardware, etc.
    Now go stand in the corner.

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 11, 2009
  20. [Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:18:10 -0600] §ñühw¤£f je napisao/la:
    >> Have a nice day.
    >>

    > Suck my nuts, bitch.
    >
    > ^_^

    Sorry, I'm not gay. Better luck somewhere else.
    --
    You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
    Davorin Vlahovic, Oct 11, 2009