Really weird IE problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Raven, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Raven

    Raven Guest

    I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
    problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
    First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with WinXP
    Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD (80
    Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
    seemed to work right. I hope this is all the system specs that you'll need.
    My problem is that when I access the internet (Cable connection) it will
    always work.....for a short period of time. At some point (unknown when or
    how long it takes) I will no longer be able to access any webpages. The
    only error that I get is the "Cannot display page" error.
    My ISP Tech Support had me unplug my modem and restart the computer then
    plug the modem back in. This will get everything going again, but sure
    enough, a few minutes later I will have nothing. Now, the strange thing is
    that the whole time my modem is showing proper connection and the ISP sees
    it as acting normal at a great connection speed. When he tries to ping me,
    he cannot. There is no firewall whatsoever on my computer, and there are no
    routers. When I try to ping any other site or IP, I get nothing. Usually
    if I ping my ISP, I will get a response, just like if I go to my bank's
    website, I will for some reason be able to view that, but nothing else. \
    I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and cleared out whatever was in those
    (not much). My antivirus is up to date and I did a scan that came up with
    nothing. I have Norton SystemWorks, so I did some other tests and
    everything was fine. I have double and triple checked that there is no
    firewall, and there is none. I have made sure that I have all the Windows
    Updates and IE updates.
    I have also installed Mozilla and received the same type of problem,
    without importing settings. I am at a loss as to why this happens. When
    the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
    funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and newsgroup
    posts, usually.
    My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an issue.
    Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after calling
    Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
    which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all of a
    sudden started.
    Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
    anything anyone might be able to input.

    --
    Raven~
    "Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
    Raven, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Raven

    Thor Guest

    "Raven" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
    > funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and
    > newsgroup
    > posts, usually.
    > My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an
    > issue.
    > Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after calling
    > Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
    > which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all of
    > sudden started.
    > Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
    > anything anyone might be able to input.
    >

    > --
    > Raven~
    > "Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
    > Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net

    One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can renew
    the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt window, and
    typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it grabs an IP address
    right away. If it does, see if you get your internet connectivity restored.
    If it hangs there forever doing nothing, then it probably has network
    communication problem with the cable modem. Also check the device manager
    and open the properties for your network card (or USB controllers if your
    cable mdoem connects via USB) and disable power management for those
    devices.
    Thor, Oct 16, 2004

  3. I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
    card ($15) cured it.

    Internet Traveler, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Raven

    Raven Guest

    > I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
    > card ($15) cured it.

    Thanks for the idea, but I'm using USB for my connection, so I wonder if I
    should replace those or the cable? I did try what Thor had to say:

    > > One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can
    > > renew the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt
    > > window, and typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it grabs
    > > an IP address right away.

    It did seem to work, as far as letting me access the internet, but it got
    the same IP. I did a release after the renew and then re-did the renew
    (wow, I just confused myself) and it still grabbed the same one, but again
    it worked....so it has me wondering.....

    Will I have to do this all the time, like evry 10 minutes when my internet
    decides to take a nap?

    Raven, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Raven

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Raven" <> wrote in message
    > I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
    > problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
    > First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with
    > WinXP
    > Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD
    > (80
    > Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
    > seemed to work right. I hope this is all the system specs that you'll
    > need.
    > My problem is that when I access the internet (Cable connection) it
    > will
    > always work.....for a short period of time. At some point (unknown when
    > or
    > how long it takes) I will no longer be able to access any webpages. The
    > only error that I get is the "Cannot display page" error.
    > My ISP Tech Support had me unplug my modem and restart the computer
    > then
    > plug the modem back in. This will get everything going again, but sure
    > enough, a few minutes later I will have nothing. Now, the strange thing
    > is
    > that the whole time my modem is showing proper connection and the ISP sees
    > it as acting normal at a great connection speed. When he tries to ping
    > me,
    > he cannot. There is no firewall whatsoever on my computer, and there are
    > no
    > routers. When I try to ping any other site or IP, I get nothing. Usually
    > if I ping my ISP, I will get a response, just like if I go to my bank's
    > website, I will for some reason be able to view that, but nothing else. \
    > I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and cleared out whatever was in those
    > (not much). My antivirus is up to date and I did a scan that came up with
    > nothing. I have Norton SystemWorks, so I did some other tests and
    > everything was fine. I have double and triple checked that there is no
    > firewall, and there is none. I have made sure that I have all the Windows
    > Updates and IE updates.
    > I have also installed Mozilla and received the same type of problem,
    > without importing settings. I am at a loss as to why this happens. When
    > the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
    > funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and
    > newsgroup
    > posts, usually.
    > My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an
    > issue.
    > Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after calling
    > Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
    > which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all of
    > sudden started.
    > Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
    > anything anyone might be able to input.

    Try the command "ipconfig /flushdns" which will flush out the DNS cache.
    Then follow it with "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" as you did
    before.

    Something that worked for me(at least with one website) was to go to Windows
    Explorer and delete the Temp files, then reboot.

    Mark Mandell, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Raven

    Thor Guest

    "Raven" <> wrote in message
    >> I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
    >> card ($15) cured it.
    >>

    > Thanks for the idea, but I'm using USB for my connection, so I wonder if I
    > should replace those or the cable? I did try what Thor had to say:
    >

    >> > One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can
    >> > renew the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt
    >> > window, and typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it
    >> > grabs
    >> > an IP address right away.

    > It did seem to work, as far as letting me access the internet, but it got
    > the same IP. I did a release after the renew and then re-did the renew
    > (wow, I just confused myself) and it still grabbed the same one, but
    > again
    > it worked....so it has me wondering.....
    >

    > Will I have to do this all the time, like evry 10 minutes when my internet
    > decides to take a nap?

    Obviously, not. You shouldn't have to. Did you disable all the power
    management options on the USB controllers too, as I suggested? Also, since
    you are using USB, it may matter what chipset you have on that motherboard.
    If it is VIA, those are known to be problematic with USB in general. Also to
    a lesser extent SIS controllers can also be problematic. Nvidia, and Intel
    are the only motherboard chipsets I trust fully for reliable USB operation.
    For USB add-in controller cards, I use NEC chipsets exclusively. If you have
    a VIA chipset on that board (you can easily check by looking at the USB
    controller properties in the device manager) you may want to switch to a
    network cable connection if your cable modem has that option, and you have a
    network card. Also try updating your motherboard chipset drivers. Or, try
    getting a Belkin USB 2.0 card. They use NEC chipsets on their cards. At
    least the last time I checked they still do.
    Thor, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Raven

    Raven Guest

    > Obviously, not. You shouldn't have to. Did you disable all the power
    > management options on the USB controllers too, as I suggested?

    I had forgotten, but I did go back in and check and they were all disabled.

    >Also, since
    > you are using USB, it may matter what chipset you have on that

    motherboard.

    I have the NVidia Nforce2

    I haven't seemed to have this problem since last night, so hopefully that's
    all it was, what you told me to check. Thanks for your help, I do
    appreciate it.

    I have one more question though, in my Device Manager, I see something
    called "VSO Devices" and underneath that is what is called a Patin Couffin
    Engine. I have never seen this before and I haven't added anything new to
    the system at all. Do you know what this might be? Thanks again

    Raven, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Raven

    Thor Guest

    "Raven" <> wrote in message

    >> Obviously, not. You shouldn't have to. Did you disable all the power
    >> management options on the USB controllers too, as I suggested?

    > I had forgotten, but I did go back in and check and they were all
    > disabled.
    >
    >>Also, since
    >> you are using USB, it may matter what chipset you have on that

    > motherboard.
    >
    > I have the NVidia Nforce2
    >
    > I haven't seemed to have this problem since last night, so hopefully
    > that's
    > all it was, what you told me to check. Thanks for your help, I do
    > appreciate it.

    no problem. Happy to help. Hopefully it will continue working. If it fails
    to, then you may wont to consider trying a regular ethernet connection to
    your cable modem rather than using USB, if your cable modem supports that
    option. Most seem to offer ethernet as well when they have a USB connection.

    > I have one more question though, in my Device Manager, I see something
    > called "VSO Devices" and underneath that is what is called a Patin Couffin
    > Engine. I have never seen this before and I haven't added anything new to
    > the system at all. Do you know what this might be? Thanks again

    I believe that is part of the "blind write" CD burning program. Do you have
    that program installed by some chance?
    Thor, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Raven

    Plato Guest

    Raven wrote:

    > > I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
    > > card ($15) cured it.

    > Thanks for the idea, but I'm using USB for my connection, so I wonder if I
    > should replace those or the cable? I did try what Thor had to say:

    If you are losing connections and call the cable company and tell them
    you have a usb nic then they come in with a few internal pci nics which
    generally solves disconnection problems.
    Plato, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Raven

    Raven Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    > If you are losing connections and call the cable company and tell them
    > you have a usb nic then they come in with a few internal pci nics which
    > generally solves disconnection problems.

    As far as losing the connection, the cable company said that because my
    modem is always showing that it is on and running fine than the problem is
    with IE. Even when I can't access the internet, the modem still looks as if
    it has been running fine, which I though was weird. Now, I do have a NIC
    installed, maybe I should try that instead of USB, you think? Thanks for
    the help

    Raven, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Raven

    Aquila Deus Guest

    "Raven" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
    > problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
    > First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with WinXP
    > Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD (80
    > Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
    > seemed to work right.

    They will work right if you send them to me :)
    Aquila Deus, Oct 17, 2004
  12. Raven

    Thor Guest

    "Raven" <> wrote in message

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >>
    >> If you are losing connections and call the cable company and tell them
    >> you have a usb nic then they come in with a few internal pci nics which
    >> generally solves disconnection problems.

    > As far as losing the connection, the cable company said that because my
    > modem is always showing that it is on and running fine than the problem is
    > with IE. Even when I can't access the internet, the modem still looks as
    > if
    > it has been running fine, which I though was weird. Now, I do have a NIC
    > installed, maybe I should try that instead of USB, you think? Thanks for
    > the help

    I would try that, definitely.
    Thor, Oct 17, 2004
  13. Raven

    Raven Guest

    "> Shut up, bitchfuck. You got your answer. Grow a fucking skin, you
    > over-sensitive poofter.

    Okay, point take, was a little sissy about. Just shocked me at first.

    BTW, I uninstalled the patin-Coufin engine at the device because
    uninstalling the programs I had didn't work. I'm not sure what it is,
    because when I googled it, it came up as blank write and I never saw
    anything about DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, ISO Recorder or DVDXCopy.

    I really try to take care of my system, so I was surprised when I found out
    about this thing. I use my device manager frequently, and at least two weeks
    ago it wasn't there. A mystery to me....any ideas?

    Raven, Oct 17, 2004
  14. Raven

    Raven Guest

    > > I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
    > > problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
    > > First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with

    WinXP
    > > Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD

    (80
    > > Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
    > > seemed to work right.

    > They will work right if you send them to me :)

    LOL, I actually meant to say only the floppy doesn't work right!
    Raven, Oct 17, 2004
  15. Raven

    Raven Guest

    > Yes. You're a fucking idiot.
    >
    > Results 1 - 21 of about 54 English pages for patin Couffin engine DVD
    > Decrypter
    > Results 1 - 26 of about 67 English pages for patin Couffin engine DVD
    > Shrink.
    > Results 1 - 25 of about 69 English pages for patin Couffin engine ISO
    > Recorder.
    > Results 1 - 22 of about 113 English pages for patin Couffin engine

    DVDXCopy.

    I spelled it wrong in my search and glanced too fast because i did see
    DVDXCopy Platinum. I do stand corrected. I have never had this problem
    with IE before though and I have had those installed for awhile. Is it that
    bad, because I really like using Shrink and Decryptor to back up my DVDs.
    What would you recommend?

    > Would you like your fucking arse wiped while I'm at it?

    That sure would take the work out of it! :)

    I also made a mistake, it was blind write, not blank. Eh, its late and I
    needed a smoke, what can I say...maybe I am an idiot!

    Raven, Oct 17, 2004
  16. Raven

    Raven Guest

    > Now, onto your technical problem... I can help but I won't be fucked

    about.
    > I would help you but you've fucked about. So I won't help you. In short, I
    > won't be fucked about. Find someone who doesn't mind being run around in
    > ever decreasing circles by a ditz.

    That's fine, I'm sure there are others here that would be willing to
    help. Anyways, further research into the links at Google that you brought
    show that VSO is well supported by the company and that it usually isn't a
    problem. I believe my initial problem never occurred from this instance, I
    think it had to do with what others were helping me with that has actually
    worked and I haven't had a problem since.

    As for being a ditz, so be it if that's what you think. And I have
    never f---ed about, I merely made a misspelling on a search and then
    corrected it. I did read many of your other posts. You are good, but with
    a bad attitude.

    To everyone else, Thanks a million for helping me with the problem, it
    has helped tremendously.

    .......Now where's that killfile button...........

    Raven, Oct 17, 2004
  17. Raven wrote:

    > I believe my initial problem never occurred

    <snort>

    >      .......Now where's that killfile button...........

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Gough Broyles, Oct 17, 2004