REALLY stupid question about making an internet desktop shortcut

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    A couple of thousand miles away lives a good but computer-stupid
    friend who is incapable of setting *anything* up. I want to tell
    her how to put a shortcut on her desktop leading to a specific
    web site so she can get there with one double click - i.e. the
    shortcut would start her browser (yes, IE) and go to that site.

    I wrote instructions on how to add the site to her "favorites"
    and how to make it her "home page" but after reading them I
    actually doubt she could follow them. She can't even tell me
    what OS she is using, but I would guess it's XP or something
    just before.

    Since I have NEVER put ANY shortcuts on my desktop except to
    often-used programs, and the AOL. etc shortcuts kindly provided
    by MS were deleted immediately as part of installing the OS, I
    can not figure out what the command line should be. I have tried
    things ending in url and http etc. and nothing doing.

    Could some kind soul please provide the full command line that
    should be entered into the box upon right-clicking on the
    desktop and choosing "new shortcut"?

    Thank you.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Jul 19, 2007

  2. thanatoid wrote:
    > A couple of thousand miles away lives a good but computer-stupid
    > friend who is incapable of setting *anything* up. I want to tell
    > her how to put a shortcut on her desktop leading to a specific
    > web site so she can get there with one double click - i.e. the
    > shortcut would start her browser (yes, IE) and go to that site.
    >
    > I wrote instructions on how to add the site to her "favorites"
    > and how to make it her "home page" but after reading them I
    > actually doubt she could follow them. She can't even tell me
    > what OS she is using, but I would guess it's XP or something
    > just before.
    >
    > Since I have NEVER put ANY shortcuts on my desktop except to
    > often-used programs, and the AOL. etc shortcuts kindly provided
    > by MS were deleted immediately as part of installing the OS, I
    > can not figure out what the command line should be. I have tried
    > things ending in url and http etc. and nothing doing.
    >
    > Could some kind soul please provide the full command line that
    > should be entered into the box upon right-clicking on the
    > desktop and choosing "new shortcut"?

    Right click on desktop, then click "New" and then "Shortcut". For
    location, type in www.google.com or whatever you want. Okay your way out
    of it. You're done.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007

  3. thanatoid

    Guest

    , Jul 19, 2007
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  5. thanatoid

    Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Harry potter leaker forgot to remove EXIF data from photos:
    >> Data shows serial no of his Canon camera.
    >> http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/21181/2000494333947614667_rs.jpg

    >Gee, I hope that doesn't come back to haunt him.

    Should of rethought his cunning scheme :)

    If ever a scape goat is needed against piracy, this guy sure stepped
    forward.

    --
    Harry potter leaker forgot to remove EXIF data from photos:
    Data shows serial no of his Canon camera.
    http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/21181/2000494333947614667_rs.jpg

    , Jul 19, 2007
  6. thanatoid

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns9971E5C3914B5thanexit@66.250.146.158>, thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    > A couple of thousand miles away lives a good but computer-stupid
    > friend who is incapable of setting *anything* up. I want to tell
    > her how to put a shortcut on her desktop leading to a specific
    > web site so she can get there with one double click - i.e. the
    > shortcut would start her browser (yes, IE) and go to that site.
    >
    > I wrote instructions on how to add the site to her "favorites"
    > and how to make it her "home page" but after reading them I
    > actually doubt she could follow them. She can't even tell me
    > what OS she is using, but I would guess it's XP or something
    > just before.
    >
    > Since I have NEVER put ANY shortcuts on my desktop except to
    > often-used programs, and the AOL. etc shortcuts kindly provided
    > by MS were deleted immediately as part of installing the OS, I
    > can not figure out what the command line should be. I have tried
    > things ending in url and http etc. and nothing doing.
    >
    > Could some kind soul please provide the full command line that
    > should be entered into the box upon right-clicking on the
    > desktop and choosing "new shortcut"?

    In the Mac OS, you just drag the favicon off the URL display (onto the
    desktop).
    You can also type the URL onto any text document, then select the URL
    and drag it onto the desktop (this is the clipping method; probably
    Mac-specific).
    You can also drag it out of the list of bookmarks.

    But here's a neat thing: if you are using the same OS, just send her
    the bookmark shortcut.
    Then she'd be able to just drop the attachment shortcut onto her
    desktop.

    Incidentally, this is a GREAT solution for novice computer users --
    I've used it many times. On Mac OS, you can rename the shortcut to
    anything you want, so I gave them meaningful names, too.

    Mitch, Jul 19, 2007
  7. Mitch wrote:
    > In article <Xns9971E5C3914B5thanexit@66.250.146.158>, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>A couple of thousand miles away lives a good but computer-stupid
    >>friend who is incapable of setting *anything* up. I want to tell
    >>her how to put a shortcut on her desktop leading to a specific
    >>web site so she can get there with one double click - i.e. the
    >>shortcut would start her browser (yes, IE) and go to that site.
    >>
    >>I wrote instructions on how to add the site to her "favorites"
    >>and how to make it her "home page" but after reading them I
    >>actually doubt she could follow them. She can't even tell me
    >>what OS she is using, but I would guess it's XP or something
    >>just before.
    >>
    >>Since I have NEVER put ANY shortcuts on my desktop except to
    >>often-used programs, and the AOL. etc shortcuts kindly provided
    >>by MS were deleted immediately as part of installing the OS, I
    >>can not figure out what the command line should be. I have tried
    >>things ending in url and http etc. and nothing doing.
    >>
    >>Could some kind soul please provide the full command line that
    >>should be entered into the box upon right-clicking on the
    >>desktop and choosing "new shortcut"?

    > In the Mac OS, you just drag the favicon off the URL display (onto the
    > desktop).
    > You can also type the URL onto any text document, then select the URL
    > and drag it onto the desktop (this is the clipping method; probably
    > Mac-specific).
    > You can also drag it out of the list of bookmarks.
    >
    > But here's a neat thing: if you are using the same OS, just send her
    > the bookmark shortcut.
    > Then she'd be able to just drop the attachment shortcut onto her
    > desktop.
    >
    > Incidentally, this is a GREAT solution for novice computer users --
    > I've used it many times. On Mac OS, you can rename the shortcut to
    > anything you want, so I gave them meaningful names, too.

    If you were to carefully re-read his original message, would you still
    aim the answer to a Mac user?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  8. thanatoid

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Rôgêr
    <> wrote:

    > > In the Mac OS, you just drag the favicon off the URL display (onto the
    > > desktop).
    > > You can also type the URL onto any text document, then select the URL
    > > and drag it onto the desktop (this is the clipping method; probably
    > > Mac-specific).
    > > You can also drag it out of the list of bookmarks.
    > >
    > > But here's a neat thing: if you are using the same OS, just send her
    > > the bookmark shortcut.
    > > Then she'd be able to just drop the attachment shortcut onto her
    > > desktop.
    > >
    > > Incidentally, this is a GREAT solution for novice computer users --
    > > I've used it many times. On Mac OS, you can rename the shortcut to
    > > anything you want, so I gave them meaningful names, too.

    > If you were to carefully re-read his original message, would you still
    > aim the answer to a Mac user?

    I know what you mean, but I thought giving the Mac instructions would
    help him to look around Windows.
    I also haven't used WinVista in this way, so I just kept clear.

    Mitch, Jul 19, 2007
  9. thanatoid

    George Guest

    How about when you are in the webpage you find an empty spot inside the site
    and right click and say create shortcut and it will ask you if you want to
    crerate a shortcut to the desktop???

    George

    George, Jul 19, 2007
  10. Mitch <> wrote in news:190720070349458495%:

    > In article <>, Rôgêr
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> > In the Mac OS, you just drag the favicon off the URL display (onto the
    >> > desktop).
    >> > You can also type the URL onto any text document, then select the URL
    >> > and drag it onto the desktop (this is the clipping method; probably
    >> > Mac-specific).
    >> > You can also drag it out of the list of bookmarks.
    >> >
    >> > But here's a neat thing: if you are using the same OS, just send her
    >> > the bookmark shortcut.
    >> > Then she'd be able to just drop the attachment shortcut onto her
    >> > desktop.
    >> >
    >> > Incidentally, this is a GREAT solution for novice computer users --
    >> > I've used it many times. On Mac OS, you can rename the shortcut to
    >> > anything you want, so I gave them meaningful names, too.

    >> If you were to carefully re-read his original message, would you still
    >> aim the answer to a Mac user?

    > I know what you mean, but I thought giving the Mac instructions would
    > help him to look around Windows.
    > I also haven't used WinVista in this way, so I just kept clear.

    You could just download a widget.

    --

    http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Crackwhore

    My newest company is developing computer chips which
    store and play music for implantation into women's boobs.

    This may resolve complaints from women about men always
    staring at their breasts - but never listening to them!

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 19, 2007
  11. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "George" <> wrote in

    > How about when you are in the webpage you find an empty
    > spot inside the site and right click and say create
    > shortcut and it will ask you if you want to crerate a
    > shortcut to the desktop???
    >
    > George

    <SNIP>

    I don't use or even have IE but your reply implies this is
    possible in that browser. I will make it one of my suggestions.
    Thanks.

    thanatoid, Jul 19, 2007
  12. thanatoid

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <>, Rôgêr
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> In the Mac OS, you just drag the favicon off the URL display (onto the
    >>> desktop).
    >>> You can also type the URL onto any text document, then select the URL
    >>> and drag it onto the desktop (this is the clipping method; probably
    >>> Mac-specific).
    >>> You can also drag it out of the list of bookmarks.
    >>>
    >>> But here's a neat thing: if you are using the same OS, just send her
    >>> the bookmark shortcut.
    >>> Then she'd be able to just drop the attachment shortcut onto her
    >>> desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Incidentally, this is a GREAT solution for novice computer users --
    >>> I've used it many times. On Mac OS, you can rename the shortcut to
    >>> anything you want, so I gave them meaningful names, too.

    >> If you were to carefully re-read his original message, would you still
    >> aim the answer to a Mac user?

    > I know what you mean, but I thought giving the Mac instructions would
    > help him to look around Windows.
    > I also haven't used WinVista in this way, so I just kept clear.

    Actually, your advice was good - the method works for Windows as well.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jul 19, 2007