Really strange hard drive/windows problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Today, some guy brought in his PC, which would not boot into Windows. It
    got to the Windows XP splash screen, but no further. Briefly, a BSOD popped
    up with a checksum error saying that a DLL file was missing. I replaced
    that DLL in recovery console, but to no avail.

    Here's where it gets weird...I hooked his hard drive up to our
    virus-scanning computer. After this computer got done loading, a "Microsoft
    Office 2000 installation Wizard" screen popped up. This was very strange,
    especially since there were no CD/DVD-ROM drives hooked up to our
    virus-scanning computer!

    Anyway, I looked in "My Computer", and this dude's hard drive was pictured
    as an Office 2000 instrallation CD! I am 100% sure this was the guy's hard
    drive, because I looked at the properties of the drive and it was a properly
    formatted (NTFS) 40 GB drive. I began poking around, and it looks like his
    root diretory has all the files you would expect to find in the root
    directory of an Office 2000 CD (setup.exe, various DLLs, etc.). I have no
    idea how the guy managed to pull this off, but I think the only way to fix
    it is a complete system restore.

    Has anybody ever seen this, or know what would cuase it? My friend thought
    maybe he tried to turn it into a drive that would allow Office 2000 to be
    installed across a network? If that's the case, is there any way to undo
    this process so that Windows will boot up again?

    Patrick Michael, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Patrick Michael

    AG Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Today, some guy brought in his PC, which would not boot into Windows. It
    > got to the Windows XP splash screen, but no further. Briefly, a BSOD

    popped
    > up with a checksum error saying that a DLL file was missing. I replaced
    > that DLL in recovery console, but to no avail.
    >
    > Here's where it gets weird...I hooked his hard drive up to our
    > virus-scanning computer. After this computer got done loading, a

    "Microsoft
    > Office 2000 installation Wizard" screen popped up. This was very strange,
    > especially since there were no CD/DVD-ROM drives hooked up to our
    > virus-scanning computer!
    >
    > Anyway, I looked in "My Computer", and this dude's hard drive was pictured
    > as an Office 2000 instrallation CD! I am 100% sure this was the guy's

    hard
    > drive, because I looked at the properties of the drive and it was a

    properly
    > formatted (NTFS) 40 GB drive. I began poking around, and it looks like

    his
    > root diretory has all the files you would expect to find in the root
    > directory of an Office 2000 CD (setup.exe, various DLLs, etc.). I have no
    > idea how the guy managed to pull this off, but I think the only way to fix
    > it is a complete system restore.
    >
    > Has anybody ever seen this, or know what would cuase it? My friend

    thought
    > maybe he tried to turn it into a drive that would allow Office 2000 to be
    > installed across a network? If that's the case, is there any way to undo
    > this process so that Windows will boot up again?

    You can try a repair installation of XP. Might work wouldn't hurt to try.
    AG

    AG, Jul 14, 2004

  3. "AG" <> wrote in message

    > You can try a repair installation of XP. Might work wouldn't hurt to try.
    > AG

    We just went ahead and did a clean re-install. We were able to back up his
    Word and music files, so he didn't lose any data. I'd still like to know
    how the hell he manage to turn his hard drive into an Office 2000 CD though.
    lol

    Patrick Michael, Jul 15, 2004