really need help with jumpers and drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gem, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. Gem

    Gem Guest

    I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...

    I have a working second one with XP Home on it.

    I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    all my work documents,etc.

    Nothing is working.

    I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.

    I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it
    is, and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.

    I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is
    an emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support
    networking. (It has never been able to network for whatever reason they
    do to it...)
    So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory
    so I cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.

    Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.

    Thx.so much.
    :'(
    Gem, Apr 15, 2007

  2. Gem

    D.Duck Guest

    "Gem" <> wrote in message
    >I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >
    > I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >
    > I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine drives
    > to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off all my work
    > documents,etc.
    >
    > Nothing is working.
    >
    > I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.
    >
    > I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it is,
    > and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.
    >
    > I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is an
    > emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support networking.
    > (It has never been able to network for whatever reason they do to it...)
    > So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory so I
    > cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.
    >

    > Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.
    >
    > Thx.so much.
    > :'(

    Did you try connecting the ofc drive by itself as a master to the secondary
    IDE channel on your home machine?

    Are both home and ofc drive formatted for NTFS, which I don't think would
    matter any ways.
    D.Duck, Apr 15, 2007

  3. Gem

    Guest

    On Apr 15, 4:42 pm, Gem <> wrote:
    > I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >
    > I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >
    > I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    > drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    > all my work documents,etc.
    >
    > Nothing is working.
    >
    > I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.
    >
    > I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it
    > is, and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.
    >
    > I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is
    > an emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support
    > networking. (It has never been able to network for whatever reason they
    > do to it...)
    > So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory
    > so I cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.
    >
    > Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.
    >
    > Thx.so much.
    > :'(

    have you checked if cide cabel is installed properly with red line
    toward the power supply
    john t
    , Apr 15, 2007
  4. Gem

    old man Guest

    Perhaps the hd has failed, which is why the sys crashed.
    Visit the hd manu site download and create the bootable floppy checking
    utility

    old man, Apr 15, 2007
  5. Gem

    GHalleck Guest

    Gem wrote:

    > I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >
    > I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >
    > I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    > drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    > all my work documents,etc.
    >
    > Nothing is working.
    >
    > I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.
    >
    > I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it
    > is, and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.
    >
    > I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is an
    > emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support networking.
    > (It has never been able to network for whatever reason they do to it...)
    > So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory so
    > I cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.
    >

    > Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.
    >
    > Thx.so much.
    > :'(

    One of the most important considerations is what type of daisy chain
    needs to be set up. The traditional way has been to use an true IDE
    cable with Master and Slave connections. The hard drives are jumpered
    accordingly although in this case, the working XP Home's HD should be
    the Master in its own computer. The office's XP Pro HD, if functioning,
    should be connected as the slave.

    However, it is possible that the ribbon cable being used is for Cable
    Select. In this case, the drives need to be jumpered accordingly but
    the XP Home HD needs to be connected to the first (or boot) position
    whilst the XP Pro HD to the second.

    If one wants a simpler way of doing things, buy an external USB hard
    drive enclosure and put the XP Pro HD into it. Connect it to the USB
    port.

    Of course, if the XP Pro's hard drive has physically crashed, there
    is essentially nothing to salvage without recovery software (if the
    drive starts) or use a professional recovery outfit.
    GHalleck, Apr 16, 2007
  6. GHalleck wrote:

    > Gem wrote:
    >
    >> I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >>
    >> I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >>
    >> I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    >> drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    >> all my work documents,etc.
    >>
    >> Nothing is working.
    >>
    >> I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.
    >>
    >> I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it
    >> is, and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.
    >>
    >> I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is
    >> an emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support
    >> networking. (It has never been able to network for whatever reason
    >> they do to it...)
    >> So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory
    >> so I cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.
    >>

    >> Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.
    >>
    >> Thx.so much.
    >> :'(
    >>

    > One of the most important considerations is what type of daisy chain
    > needs to be set up. The traditional way has been to use an true IDE
    > cable with Master and Slave connections. The hard drives are jumpered
    > accordingly although in this case, the working XP Home's HD should be
    > the Master in its own computer. The office's XP Pro HD, if functioning,
    > should be connected as the slave.
    >
    > However, it is possible that the ribbon cable being used is for Cable
    > Select. In this case, the drives need to be jumpered accordingly but

    eh? What's the ribbon got to do with it?

    > the XP Home HD needs to be connected to the first (or boot) position
    > whilst the XP Pro HD to the second.

    More accurately, the boot drive goes on the end of the cable, the slave
    drive on the middle connector.

    <snip>
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 16, 2007
  7. Gem

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > GHalleck wrote:
    >>
    >> One of the most important considerations is what type of daisy chain
    >> needs to be set up. The traditional way has been to use an true IDE
    >> cable with Master and Slave connections. The hard drives are jumpered
    >> accordingly although in this case, the working XP Home's HD should be
    >> the Master in its own computer. The office's XP Pro HD, if functioning,
    >> should be connected as the slave.
    >>
    >> However, it is possible that the ribbon cable being used is for Cable
    >> Select. In this case, the drives need to be jumpered accordingly but

    > eh? What's the ribbon got to do with it?

    Some ribbon cables had a line cut for use with cable select. I had a Compaq
    like that once.
    WhzzKdd, Apr 16, 2007
  8. Gem

    rick Guest

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:42:52 GMT, Gem <> wrote:

    >I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >
    >I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >
    >I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    >drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    >all my work documents,etc.
    >
    >Nothing is working.
    >
    >I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.
    >
    >I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it
    >is, and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.
    >
    >I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is
    >an emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support
    >networking. (It has never been able to network for whatever reason they
    >do to it...)
    >So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory
    >so I cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.
    >

    >Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.
    >
    >Thx.so much.
    >:'(

    what makes are the hard drives? Western Digitial . WD drives
    are sometime a little tricky.
    see below for WD jumper settings

    http://tinyurl.com/ynphnj
    rick, Apr 16, 2007
  9. Gem

    Gem Guest

    rick was thinking very hard :
    > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:42:52 GMT, Gem <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >>
    >> I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >>
    >> I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    >> drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    >> all my work documents,etc.
    >>
    >> Nothing is working.
    >>
    >> I made a sheet with all possible ways to try it, and nothing works.
    >>
    >> I get a boot error even if I keep the existing XPHome master where it
    >> is, and slave one of the XPPro drives to it.. Cables are in good shape.
    >>
    >> I don't know if it matters but the existing running machine/XPHome is
    >> an emachine. I know they wrote me and said they do not support
    >> networking. (It has never been able to network for whatever reason they
    >> do to it...)
    >> So I wonder if they did something else to this machine at the factory
    >> so I cannot copy off my drives from XPPro machine.
    >>

    >> Please help, I really appreciate the forum here and any help.
    >>
    >> Thx.so much.
    >> :'(

    > what makes are the hard drives? Western Digitial . WD drives
    > are sometime a little tricky.
    > see below for WD jumper settings
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ynphnj

    ===========
    thanks Nick for replying

    Seagate. have been spending time on this off n on, was gone for a
    while. Have been to their website, but am just so very new to this all.

    I have two cables:
    one from the dead xppro box has two grey connectors on it, had been
    master and slave for that one.

    The current box has one cable with a (black) master and one grey one in
    the middle.

    Can I put both (master/slave) cables on one machine to hook up
    master,slave,CD and floppy?
    Would that hurt?
    Gem, Apr 24, 2007
  10. Gem

    meerkat Guest

    "Gem" <> wrote in message
    > rick was thinking very hard :
    >> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:42:52 GMT, Gem <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an ofc machine at home with XP Pro on it, which crashed...
    >>>
    >>> I have a working second one with XP Home on it.
    >>>
    >>> I have been trying to change the jumpers on existing XPPro machine
    >>> drives to slave one at a time to the XPHome machine so I can copy off
    >>> all my work documents,etc.

    Here`s an article by Seagate.
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=cbc974850ce0e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    Your existing drive will be connected already, as Master
    (or CSEL + Cable select)
    So set the drive your fitting, as either Slave on the same
    cable, or CSEL on the same cable, dependant on how
    the Master is set up.
    meerkat, Apr 24, 2007
  11. Gem

    Gem Guest

    meerkat formulated the question :
    > "Gem" <> wrote in message
    >> rick was thinking very hard :

    > Here`s an article by Seagate.
    > http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=cbc974850ce0e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
    >
    > Your existing drive will be connected already, as Master
    > (or CSEL + Cable select)
    > So set the drive your fitting, as either Slave on the same
    > cable, or CSEL on the same cable, dependant on how
    > the Master is set up.

    =====
    thanks meerkat :):)

    The master has the jumper on the second set. Diagram on back does NOT
    show this. So uncertain what I should do with the slave...
    cable select? or ______________

    slave (last jumpers I changed it to) is according to diagram master
    on/slave off. ????????????????

    take the jumper off?

    Can I put both on cable select, master in master / black connector
    position (far end of cable) and slave in middle/grey connector?
    Gem, Apr 25, 2007
  12. Gem

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 03:20:26 GMT, Gem wrote:

    >meerkat formulated the question :
    >> "Gem" <> wrote in message
    >>> rick was thinking very hard :

    <snip>

    >> Here`s an article by Seagate.
    >> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=cbc974850ce0e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
    >>
    >> Your existing drive will be connected already, as Master
    >> (or CSEL + Cable select)
    >> So set the drive your fitting, as either Slave on the same
    >> cable, or CSEL on the same cable, dependant on how
    >> the Master is set up.

    >=====
    >thanks meerkat :):)
    >
    >The master has the jumper on the second set. Diagram on back does NOT
    >show this. So uncertain what I should do with the slave...
    >cable select? or ______________
    >
    >slave (last jumpers I changed it to) is according to diagram master
    >on/slave off. ????????????????
    >
    >take the jumper off?

    You use either drive jumpers for M/S i.e. both drives are selected by
    the jumper.

    Although never tried it, wouldn't as you seem to be saying - 1 drive on
    M jumper and other on CS.

    It's either M/S jumper both drives or CS both drives.

    >Can I put both on cable select, master in master / black connector
    >position (far end of cable) and slave in middle/grey connector?

    Yes.

    Me
    why?, Apr 25, 2007