Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'T install??!!!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Galaxy, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
    asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
    like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
    to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
    belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
    directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
    and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.

    So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
    called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
    (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
    there that it should work for Firefox.

    What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
    days.

    Thanks.

    Galaxy, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Galaxy

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'Tinstall??!!!

    Galaxy wrote:
    > It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
    > asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
    > like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
    > to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
    > belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
    > directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
    > and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
    >
    > So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
    > called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
    > (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
    > there that it should work for Firefox.
    >
    > What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
    > days.
    >
    > Thanks.

    First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
    You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 05:45:16 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Galaxy wrote:
    >> It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
    >> asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
    >> like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
    >> to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
    >> belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
    >> directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
    >> and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
    >>
    >> So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
    >> called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
    >> (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
    >> there that it should work for Firefox.
    >>
    >> What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
    >> days.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
    >You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

    (Sheesh, looks like I'm not the only one:
    http://forum.deviantart.com/software/general/232776/)

    <sigh> Yeah, looks like a version # for the Themer extension isn't
    given: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer. So I don't
    even know if Themer is supposed to work in 0.9. Judging how nothing
    happens when I try to install it, not even an error msg for Pete's
    sake, I can only guess that that's the reason.

    Anyway, that supposedly isn't the cause of why I can't install themes.
    This one clearly states it's compatible with v0.9:
    http://www.mozfly.devisland.net/. So I don't know what's up with
    that.

    Galaxy, Jul 2, 2004
  4. Re: Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'Tinstall??!!!

    On 7/2/2004 7:04 AM, Galaxy said:
    >>First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
    >>You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

    Somebody covered this in an earlier thread -- a week or two ago?

    There's a site that helps you install jar files to Firebird. Could
    someone post it again, please?

    cheers,

    David H

    PS. Just a thought -- have you tried saving to disk then drag-and-drop
    onto the firebird window? That works with Moz suite extensions...

    David Harrison, Jul 2, 2004
  5. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:49:12 +0100, David Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >On 7/2/2004 7:04 AM, Galaxy said:
    >>>First off, have the themes been updated to work with 0.9 yet?
    >>>You may have to await until the themes have been updated to work with the new version.

    >Somebody covered this in an earlier thread -- a week or two ago?
    >
    >There's a site that helps you install jar files to Firebird. Could
    >someone post it again, please?

    That would be great! But I'm hoping it's help with Firefox and not
    the earlier Firebird <grin>.

    >cheers,
    >
    >David H
    >
    >PS. Just a thought -- have you tried saving to disk then drag-and-drop
    >onto the firebird window? That works with Moz suite extensions...

    That's how I prefer to do things. I don't like "web installs". But
    neither way worked, anyway. <shrug>

    p.s., I had been plugging in "Firefox themes" in google, but it was
    when I put in "Firefox-0.9 themes" that I pulled up a ton of messages
    where people complained of the very same thing! So it sees that 0.9
    is very buggy. Lots of complaints about how 0.8 was better though
    much slower. Common recommendation seemed to be to wait till 1.0 and
    to stick with 0.8 until then.

    Well, I've switched now so won't be uninstalling everything to try out
    0.8. I just hope this 1.0 one comes out soon, OR that there's a way
    to fix themes/extensions to work with 0.9.

    Cheers!

    Galaxy, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Re: Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'Tinstall??!!!

    On 7/2/2004 12:46 PM, Galaxy said:

    > That would be great! But I'm hoping it's help with Firefox and not
    > the earlier Firebird <grin>.

    It was for Firefox. It was inside the last month, so it might be worth
    trawling the archives...

    cheers,

    David

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

    David Harrison, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Galaxy

    mike555 Guest

    Galaxy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
    > asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
    > like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
    > to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
    > belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
    > directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
    > and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
    >
    > So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
    > called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
    > (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
    > there that it should work for Firefox.
    >
    > What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
    > days.
    >
    > Thanks.

    ==== perhaps I can help , if you have FireFox .9.1 and want an
    extention , just
    click on "tools " , "extentions" , then click on "get more extentions"
    , that will take you to an approved list of extentions that work ,
    where you can install them from there or rt. click and download with
    your fav . downloader , then open firefox and drag and drop them into
    the "extentions" window ...
    the same with themes (only drag and drop them into the themes window
    ) I like
    " Noia 2 eXtreme" ........ the extentions I use are ;
    "single Window ", Sort Bookmarks" , Session Saver" , Allow rt. Click"
    ,
    Hide Searchbar" , "Launchy" , and my fav .. " Send To " from ...
    it's own website ... http://gorgias.de/mfe/ ...hope this helps...
    Mike555

    mike555, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On 2 Jul 2004 13:35:15 -0700, (mike555)
    wrote:

    >Galaxy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> It's been 2 days now. This is getting very ridiculous. I've also
    >> asked about how to install themes but no-one answers. Anyway, I'd
    >> like to install a theme but nothing in the help file works. When I go
    >> to the help page, besides showing me a screenshot that actually
    >> belongs to FF v0.8 and not v0.9 like I have, even when I follow the
    >> directions and get to the page where I can plug in the path of a theme
    >> and then press "install", _nothing_ happens.
    >>
    >> So, okay, no response on how to fix this, but I did find the extension
    >> called "Themer.xpi" that seems will help
    >> (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/themer). It says right
    >> there that it should work for Firefox.
    >>
    >> What in heck is going wrong, pls?! It's been a very frustrating 2
    >> days.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >==== perhaps I can help , if you have FireFox .9.1 and want an
    >extention , just
    >click on "tools " , "extentions" , then click on "get more extentions"
    >, that will take you to an approved list of extentions that work ,
    >where you can install them from there or rt. click and download with
    >your fav . downloader , then open firefox and drag and drop them into
    >the "extentions" window ...
    > the same with themes (only drag and drop them into the themes window
    >) I like
    >" Noia 2 eXtreme" ........ the extentions I use are ;
    >"single Window ", Sort Bookmarks" , Session Saver" , Allow rt. Click"
    >,
    >Hide Searchbar" , "Launchy" , and my fav .. " Send To " from ...
    > it's own website ... http://gorgias.de/mfe/ ...hope this helps...
    >Mike555

    Thanks, Mike. The trouble is that the extensions I _want_ are
    elsewhere. Very few have worked. I'm guessing that even though they
    say they're compatible with 0.9, they're not. Or, at least, not with
    0.9 which is what I have.

    Galaxy, Jul 3, 2004
  9. Galaxy

    mike555 Guest

    > Thanks, Mike. The trouble is that the extensions I _want_ are
    > elsewhere. Very few have worked. I'm guessing that even though they
    > say they're compatible with 0.9, they're not. Or, at least, not with
    > 0.9 which is what I have.

    === if you install one that crashes FireFox , you shouldn't need to
    uninstall FireFox , just delete the extentions file and restart
    FireFox and start over,
    or maybe start in FireFox save mode and delete the bad one ....
    =========

    mike555, Jul 4, 2004