Really Free News readers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
    recomendations for which I would thank you all.

    I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
    them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
    free. Free trial yes.

    I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
    100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
    Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
    Or are there download sites where it does live up to its name?
    Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding FA rather comlpecated to
    use after the simple opperation of OE, so an alternative genuine free
    allternative might well be another answer for me.
    Thanks

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Dec 7, 2006

  2. David wrote:

    > In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
    > recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >
    > I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did
    > for them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not
    > really free. Free trial yes.

    Some have a trial, others are totally free, and others revert to a
    'free' version after a trial period with some features disabled.

    > I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the
    > binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good. Is Free
    > Agent misnamed in not being free? Or are there download sites where

    It's been awhile since I looked at Agent, but as I recall it is one of
    the ones that reverts to a less-featured version after the trial period.

    > it does live up to its name? Haveing said that at this piont in time
    > I'm finding FA rather comlpecated to use after the simple opperation
    > of OE, so an alternative genuine free allternative might well be
    > another answer for me.

    If you find Agent too complicated ... well ... not sure what other
    recommendations anyone could make. It's a good newsreader. Personally, I
    prefer 40tude Dialog, http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ but you may not be
    able to handle it either. You will probably find *all* good newsreaders
    more "complicated" than OE.

    Find a Usenet-savvy friend and invite him/her over for tea and cake.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 7, 2006

  3. David

    thanatoid Guest

    "David" <> wrote in

    > In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given
    > several recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >
    > I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the
    > searches I did for them lead me to various sites to
    > download them, but they are not really free. Free trial
    > yes.
    >
    > I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is
    > decoding the binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so
    > that's good. Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
    > Or are there download sites where it does live up to its
    > name? Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding
    > FA rather comlpecated to use after the simple opperation of
    > OE, so an alternative genuine free allternative might well
    > be another answer for me. Thanks

    There are two versions of Agent, free and not free, I believe.

    XNews is totally free and IMO the best of the lot but a little
    complex.
    GrabIt is also totally free and VERY simple to use.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  4. David

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-07, David <> wrote:
    > In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
    > recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >
    > I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
    > them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
    > free. Free trial yes.
    >
    > I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
    > 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
    > Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
    > Or are there download sites where it does live up to its name?
    > Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding FA rather comlpecated to
    > use after the simple opperation of OE, so an alternative genuine free
    > allternative might well be another answer for me.
    > Thanks

    See <http://www.newsreaders.com/> if you haven't been there already. I
    think most newsreaders are free.

    "Thunderbird" seems to be a popular replacement for Outlook Express - and
    is free.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 7, 2006
  5. David

    Tester Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:13:37 GMT, "David" <>
    wrote:

    >In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
    >recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >
    >I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
    >them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
    >free. Free trial yes.
    >
    >I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
    >100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
    >Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?

    ..
    The old versions of Agent included

    a) A free trial of agent
    b) which would revert to free agent (fewer features) if you didn't pay

    Aparently, they don't have this anymore. You might be able to get an
    old copy from ftp.forteinc.com which DOES work this way.

    If you DO pay for agent you get a free account at their news server
    for 3 months at 7 Gigs download/month. Their free server seems to be
    owned by Supernews. So at $30 with the program this might not be too
    bad.

    Tester, Dec 7, 2006
  6. David

    sittingduck Guest

    David wrote:

    > In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
    > recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >
    > I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
    > them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
    > free. Free trial yes.
    >
    > I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the
    > binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
    > Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
    > Or are there download sites where it does live up to its name?

    Agent is crap. Try it, but don't get stuck with it.
    http://Xnews.newsguy.com
    Xnews is free, and for light binary use will suit you quite well.
    Some help sites:
    http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb/
    http://www.seegras.de/xnews/

    Get the "latest" version, then overwrite the executable with the "Test"
    version.

    sittingduck, Dec 7, 2006
  7. David wrote:
    > In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
    > recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >
    > I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
    > them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
    > free. Free trial yes.

    FREE (not trials: FREE):

    Thunderbird
    Xnews
    Dialog

    That's only a PARTIAL list; those are popular Windows free news clients that I
    have installed at this time (naturally, I have others for Linux).

    > I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
    > 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
    > Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?

    It's crippleware. After the trial you have to pay or it loses features.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 7, 2006
  8. David

    Aspic Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > XNews is totally free and IMO the best of the lot but a little
    > complex.

    I think Xnews is the best of the bunch. It's certainly the most stable.
    I wouldn't call it complex. I found Newsrover the most difficult to use.
    It was almost bizarrely unintuitive for me. Having said that, I tried
    version 5 and it seems to be on 10 now. So maybe they have it all sorted
    out now?

    Aspic, Dec 7, 2006
  9. David

    Anonymous Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:13:37 GMT, you wrote:

    > I'm finding [Free Agent] rather comlpecated to use
    > after the simple opperation of OE, so an alternative
    > genuine free allternative might well be another answer

    Yeah I know what your talking about, er, 'cause I like
    a wank, you know.

    I was having a wank the other night. Having a wank,
    the computer was on and downloading lezby porn. Had a
    toilet roll which I'd greased out, and I had my knob
    in it. And, erm, I was just about to cum... and, er,
    the computer choked decoding some lezby action.
    Er, oh, I feel te-, I've got a migraine.

    'Cause it is rare that my keyboard is not matted
    with spunk, I decided to make the best of my
    terrible fucking misfortune, and find a better news-
    reader. And I found it. It is called Sylpheed-Claws
    and does it all -- yenc, base64, uuencode. What's more,
    it is so simple you can use it one-handed.

    Anonymous, Dec 10, 2006
  10. David

    jtrip9ball Guest

    On 07 Dec 2006 16:05:44 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >"David" <> wrote in
    >
    >> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given
    >> several recomendations for which I would thank you all.
    >>
    >> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the
    >> searches I did for them lead me to various sites to
    >> download them, but they are not really free. Free trial
    >> yes.
    >>
    >> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is
    >> decoding the binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so
    >> that's good. Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
    >> Or are there download sites where it does live up to its
    >> name? Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding
    >> FA rather comlpecated to use after the simple opperation of
    >> OE, so an alternative genuine free allternative might well
    >> be another answer for me. Thanks
    >>

    >There are two versions of Agent, free and not free, I believe.
    >
    >XNews is totally free and IMO the best of the lot but a little
    >complex.
    >GrabIt is also totally free and VERY simple to use.

    If Grabit is totally free, why does it always tell me "You have
    reached your daily limit" after one use each day. Then if you go to
    their site you can subscribe to different plans?

    jtrip9ball, Dec 10, 2006
  11. Hiya jtrip9ball.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > If Grabit is totally free, why does it always tell me "You have
    > reached your daily limit" after one use each day. Then if you go to
    > their site you can subscribe to different plans?

    That's Grabit Search.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Bah humbug - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 10, 2006
  12. David

    thanatoid Guest

    jtrip9ball <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > If Grabit is totally free, why does it always tell me "You
    > have reached your daily limit" after one use each day.
    > Then if you go to their site you can subscribe to different
    > plans?

    That's the search function which allows you four searches (IIRC)
    per day, or you can subscribe to it for a ridiculously low
    price. Or you can use one of about 5 excellent binary search
    sites which cost nothing. I'll let you find them on your own.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 10, 2006